Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Portaloo in room instead of sharing bathroom at university? Watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It will not be allowed. If they catch you out i.e someome makes a complain then they cna kick you out or fine you. If its that hideous then go private and get an en suite studio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It will not be allowed. If they catch you out i.e someome makes a complain then they cna kick you out or fine you. If its that hideous then go private and get an en suite studio.
    why would someone complain lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talulahjane)
    why would someone complain lol
    If it starts to smell maybe?, and you never know what people will dob you in for.

ReputationRep:
    Hilarious
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ok big dilemma i have been placed in mixed accomodation having to share kitchen and bathroom with 8 people. the biggest cringe is the bathroom. i cant stand dirt or unhygenic behaviour like wee on the seat or on the floor. so i have considered getting a portaloo which is 20 pound like a camping one and which i would have too empty but at least i know it will be clean? would anyone do this or has done this? i guess i just have major ocd.. help.. any suggestions? this is not a joke.
    Portaloos are even worse, just use the normal toilet. It's only childish nonces that piss all over. What do you do at home?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok big dilemma i have been placed in mixed accomodation having to share kitchen and bathroom with 8 people. the biggest cringe is the bathroom. i cant stand dirt or unhygenic behaviour like wee on the seat or on the floor. so i have considered getting a portaloo which is 20 pound like a camping one and which i would have too empty but at least i know it will be clean? would anyone do this or has done this? i guess i just have major ocd.. help.. any suggestions? this is not a joke.

People are going to say just get on with it if they don't understand OCD behaviour. I know someone who is similar.

I think the portaloo thing won't work because it might get odourous (ever been camping?) .

Could you get some sort of medical note to try and get an en suite? Other than that just have a ton of rubber gloves and wet wipes and just clean it each time putting all the wipes in a plastic bag and chuck out, don't flush these cause they block the pipes.

How do you manage when you have to do emergency stops like service stations etc.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I understand your concerns, and for the same reason I'll be getting an ensuite, where on Earth would you empty it? Not to mention the smell of it sitting in your room all day...

ReputationRep:
    I would be more concerned about *****ing next to my bed and desk if I were you. Everyone has a super stinky poop every now and again, the difference here is that yours will be in your bedroom.

Also, first years are mean. When they find that you have a portaloo in your room (which they will, because you're going to have to empty it and it's nigh on impossible to avoid 7 people you live with at once) they will most likely use it as the subject of pranks. Why? Because it's a new, strange thing that people don't expect and automatically becomes funny.

(Original post by Racoon)
    People are going to say just get on with it if they don't understand OCD behaviour. I know someone who is similar.

I think the portaloo thing won't work because it might get odourous (ever been camping?) .

Could you get some sort of medical note to try and get an en suite? Other than that just have a ton of rubber gloves and wet wipes and just clean it each time putting all the wipes in a plastic bag and chuck out, don't flush these cause they block the pipes.

How do you manage when you have to do emergency stops like service stations etc.
    Op said she "guesses she just has major ocd" - guessing you have major ocd and actually having medically diagnosed ocd are two different things.

ReputationRep:
    Grow up, and stop being such a princess.

You have to share loos all over the place - get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Where would you empty it?

To be honest I think it's a terrible idea. The shared bathrooms will be cleaned regularly by staff, and at some point in life you're going to have to share a bathroom. Not to mention the fact that it'll probably smell.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    yeah i think it really helps having your own and you can even get a canvas marquee thing too place the toilet in so its completelt private within the room and has its own door if its makes sense
    Get a commode. They're basically the original indoor portaloo. You can also get ones that look completely conspicuous, like a normal chair. And you can use it as a normal chair as well.

https://www.essentialaids.com/bathroom/commodes.html

ReputationRep:
    Ew no just share the bathroom it builds character. (Also I doubt having a portaloo in your bedroom is more hygienic than sharing and just giving the bathroom a quick clean before you use it.)

ReputationRep:
    this is a crazy idea...

for a start it is way more gross than occasionally having to wipe the seat or something, you're basically going to keep a tub of **** and piss in your room? I also guarantee you will spill it while emptying it and then have to clean that up... aside from that people will think you are crazy/weird/gross - people are pretty accepting at uni but keeping a camping toilet in your room is probably taking it too far, I doubt your halls will allow it as well

it's also completely unnecessary... if you genuinely have diagnosed OCD speak to your universities disabilities team about getting an appropriate room for your need (this applies to people who've mentioned IBS etc, universities will give you whatever you need roomwise if you have a medical reason) - if it's not diagnosable OCD but just being particular, well, people manage... lots of people dread shared bathrooms at uni and I have rarely actually heard anyone making major complaints... you will occasionally have to clean it up a bit and yeah they might be closer to a public toilet than your home bathroom but you can get some bleach/dettol wipes and take toilet seat covers if you want to
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Wee in the sink :P
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    This is a bad idea, It will probably smell of chemicals plus ince your other housemates find out they will start to tease you or form non complimentray opinions about it being a mad idea and they will tell their friends. Honestly its a bad idea.

A better one is to read the Uni rules on cleanliness. Find out who is repsonsible for regulating and how to complain.
    Have a house meeting in the first two days and lay down the rules about cleanliness. Get the backing of others who also want your house/flat to be clean and make sure its accpeted. there should be two toilets? Its importnat that they are kept clean, so have ample cleaning materials especually bleach, air fresherner etc. If you get them using it earlt on then it will be ok. If you have some unhygenic housemates and some of them get together then that could be the norm. Lay down the rules early and if they are slobs, dont stick to the rota, then take photos and collect evidence, dont just clean up after them. For most people its their first time away from home.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't having a portaloo in your room start to smell quite quickly?! And if your room stinks I think that'd be worse and less bearable than sharing a loo..

ReputationRep:
    megalol at the idea that keeping a tub of pee and poo in your room is better than having to share a toilet ...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Doodle made a good point that if your OCD is diagnosed and so severe that its really difficult for you, then contact disabilities, so they know and see if theres anything they can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevez2ez)
    What is room inspection gonna do? Fine him for trying to be more hygienic..

I think it's much better though for you to face them up and tell them to try & keep the bathroom clean. If that doesn't work, get it and explain to your accomodation uni dude.
    terminate the licence - you are NOT a tenant in University accomodation ...

ReputationRep:
    I guess you are sharing a shower too. How do you feel about that.lol

Sharing a bathroom isn't as bad as you think. Most people are cleaner than you think.
    Many people cope sharing a bathroom. Handy if you have friend over tbh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.