Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Go for what makes you happy. 16 is the age of consent anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    Lmao chill out omg it's not that deep. And it's absolutely not the same as if you're in your 30s. When you're 16 you're young, impressionable, naive and easily taken advantage of. Even if you're an adult in the eyes of the law, I'd hardly call most 16 year olds adults in terms of general life. You change a lot in terms of maturity and in general who you are between the ages of 16 and up towards your 20s, so it's always a bit questionable when a guy that age would rather be with a teenager than someone closer to his own age for anything other than simply lust or a desire to feel dominant. The hidden intentions are usually sketchy.
    I'm not saying it can't work, but it does make it weirder, and I stick by the idea that it's strange.
    Lol soz didn't mean to come across angry, tho I can see that now I look back at my post haha

I see your point but I strongly disagree - basically your point extends to the idea that young people should not be in relationships at all because they are naive. I think that maturity doesn't come with age, but experience. She needs to experience these things if she's ever going to develop, and as long as she is fully understanding of this relationship with this person then I don't see an issue. I feel like the reason you don't like it is just internal prejudice. Just my opinion tho, may not be the case (also want to make it clear again that I'm not angry/looking down at your point of view - not my intention!!!!!!!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolaah)
    Lol soz didn't mean to come across angry, tho I can see that now I look back at my post haha

I see your point but I strongly disagree - basically your point extends to the idea that young people should not be in relationships at all because they are naive. I think that maturity doesn't come with age, but experience. She needs to experience these things if she's ever going to develop, and as long as she is fully understanding of this relationship with this person then I don't see an issue. I feel like the reason you don't like it is just internal prejudice. Just my opinion tho, may not be the case (also want to make it clear again that I'm not angry/looking down at your point of view - not my intention!!!!!!!!!!)
    I don't think young people shouldn't be in relationships at all, I just think the healthiest relationships are ones where there is a balance of power, which can be very hard to hard to achieve when there is such a difference. I'm not against young relationships, I'd just say they're better when the ages are closer so they're more similar in their mindset and views of life. You're right that experience does increase maturity, but there's plenty of ways to increase maturity other than dating someone almost 10 years older than you. For some people he's getting to the age where he might want to start looking to settle down soon, and she's barely had a chance to live her life.

It's fine if you disagree or think I'm being prejudiced, I just think OP needs to realize that what she sees as being in love, he might just see as a fun fling. I can't really imagine a 25 year old genuinely, honestly considering a 16 year old someone he's ready to settle down and be in love with, but at the end of the day I don't know him or the situation personally and it could very well be genuine. As others have said, do what you want and makes you happy, just watch out is all I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think young people shouldn't be in relationships at all, I just think the healthiest relationships are ones where there is a balance of power, which can be very hard to hard to achieve when there is such a difference. I'm not against young relationships, I'd just say they're better when the ages are closer so they're more similar in their mindset and views of life. You're right that experience does increase maturity, but there's plenty of ways to increase maturity other than dating someone almost 10 years older than you. For some people he's getting to the age where he might want to start looking to settle down soon, and she's barely had a chance to live her life.

It's fine if you disagree or think I'm being prejudiced, I just think OP needs to realize that what she sees as being in love, he might just see as a fun fling. I can't really imagine a 25 year old genuinely, honestly considering a 16 year old someone he's ready to settle down and be in love with, but at the end of the day I don't know him or the situation personally and it could very well be genuine. As others have said, do what you want and makes you happy, just watch out is all I'm saying.
    That's fair

ReputationRep:

Have you considered the fact that this 25 year old may not have any ill intent at all ..and the reason why he may be considering this girl as a potential gf is because he can't get a gf his own age?

People instinctively may laugh, and think that it is sad that a guy can't get a gf ...but the fact is it's becoming increasingly more common. There's several threads every week from guys who are seriously frustrated and down in the dumps because they are unable to get a girlfriend. Girls that they know in real life are rejecting their advances ..and girls online are shunning them because they're holding out for a male GQ model ..slash prince charming who moonlights as a stock broker inbetween shoots

when I was his age, I ended up dating 18 year olds. not because I was targeting women a lot younger than me ...but for the simple fact women my own age were not interested. The fact that I looked around 20 probably had something to do with it. I can also remember turning down or ignoring a few underaged girls who tried it on in the street. My look just wasn't popular with girls my own age.

tbh, on paper a 16 year old dating a 25 year old sounds strange.
    but I think sometimes people are too quick to judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    Have you considered the fact that this 25 year old may not have any ill intent at all ..
    May I refer you to:

but at the end of the day I don't know him or the situation personally and it could very well be genuine.
    Maybe his intentions are fine, and if they are, great. But all my points are saying is that I am more concerned about OP just being wary about it than me being here to judge the guy directly. He can date who he wants. She can date who she wants. It doesn't affect me.

But as someone who was once a 16 year old girl, I know how easy it is to consider the first person who seems interested in you to be someone you're falling in love with. It happens. But she just needs to know that he may not be falling as hard as she is. I stand by my initial comment that she needs to make sure she's not taken advantage of. As long as she knows the relationship is healthy, they can do whatever they want.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.