Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the UK have more bank holidays? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the UK have more bank holidays?
    Yes! Time off FTW
    68.13%
    No! Eight is plenty
    31.87%

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to school in Japan where we had A LOT of bank holidays and random days off. But, holidays in Japan are a lot shorter than in the UK, so the bank holidays were needed. In the UK, sure more would be nice, but we already have long holidays compared to many other countries, so idk if more bank holidays would really be necessary.

ReputationRep:
    A single bank holiday costs the economy £2.3bn.

Just putting that out there...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shooks)
    Currently we only get eight bank holidays a year in the UK (nine in Scotland).
    The 'eight' in the questions that made me think you weren't Scots. If you know it has nine, why not say so in the question?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Drewski)
    A single bank holiday costs the economy £2.3bn.

Just putting that out there...
    Worth it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No. We have enough bank holidays. If you need more days off then book them off from your remaining allocation as and when needed, and quit being lazy. Ugh - and then people complain about immigrants taking their jobs...

At my company, since we mainly deal with international businesses - the bank holidays are converted to extra holidays which we can book off instead - on the plus side, we can choose to work from home on bank holidays anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If I could actually have them off, then yeah definitely. I'm a fan of the idea of EVERYWHERE being closed on a bank holiday, but given how many people spend their bank holidays out, it'll never happen. They're gradually becoming more like Sundays, which are pretty much like any other day nowadays if you go into a town/city centre.

I've lived abroad, in places where bank holidays/public holidays are actually guaranteed days off for pretty much everybody. It's nice, and people would flock to public spaces for BBQ's and picnics and the like... all planned out the days before of course due to no shops being open. It's a good thing for employee happiness/productivity I think to be guaranteed that time off alongside partners/children etc. In this country people seem to hit shops, coffee shops and restaurants, which makes it impossible for people working in certain sectors to have those days off.

ReputationRep:
    358 more bank holidays
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, it was a joke before someone tells me it adds up 366 days per year

ReputationRep:
    no because the service industry gets **** on to be quite honest. :/ some places don't offer more days off or extra pay and just make workers deal with more work than necessary with the same number of staff...

ReputationRep:
    Halloween bank holiday pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    I want more holidays and more pay and more girls and more cars.
    lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    358 more bank holidays
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, it was a joke before someone tells me it adds up 366 days per year
    :nope: get off the stage mate

ReputationRep:
    As a student, yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.