Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGJohnson777)
    Got 3 A*s with one of them in maths and I can confirm that it took most of my time and I barely put any effort into the rest of my subjects (which are humanities) to get the same grades.

:yep:

Congratulations on your grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Easiest is Maths by far, 50% of students get an A or above nationally.
    Pulling statistics out your ass eh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarCoatedCart)
    Pulling statistics out your ass eh
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...L6WFAUmnc/edit

43% got an A or above in Maths.

56.5% got an A or above in Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...L6WFAUmnc/edit

43% got an A or above in Maths.

56.5% got an A or above in Further Maths.
    Which isnt more than 50% for maths now is it?

MFL languages has some of the highest A/A*s

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm (this has newers stats and alot more subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarCoatedCart)
    Which isnt more than 50% for maths now is it?

MFL languages has some of the highest A/A*s

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm (this has newers stats and alot more subjects.
    I'm still correct in saying that Maths is the easiest subject to get a top grade in. It's pointless to nitpick and say 'well hurr hurr you said 50% and it's not hurr hurr.' Fine, it's not 50%. But it's still the highest of any subject (not counting Further Maths) aside from languages.

It's funny you mentioning languages. Are you really overlooking the glaring fact that languages have a ton of native speakers who bump up the stats?

ReputationRep:
    Geography
    It isn't incredibly easy but just a lot of memory work, nobody doing geography in my school got below an A.

ReputationRep:
    Econ

even though they screwed us over with the marking big time this year

ReputationRep:
    I'm still correct in saying that Maths is the easiest subject to get a top grade in. It's pointless to nitpick and say 'well hurr hurr you said 50% and it's not hurr hurr.' Fine, it's not 50%. But it's still the highest of any subject (not counting Further Maths) aside from languages.

It's funny you mentioning languages. Are you really overlooking the glaring fact that languages have a ton of native speakers who bump up the stats?
    No, you're still not.

People who are not naturally good at maths will not find it easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    No, you're still not.

So what you're saying is that Maths students are naturally of a higher caliber and work at a higher proficiency, than students of any other subject. That students who take Maths are naturally better at Maths.

That's ridiculous, and you can look at all the other subjects to prove it.

English students would then be naturally proficient in English. Psychology students would naturally proficient in Psychology, right? Etc.

Then why don't these subjects get stats like Maths? Your logic is flawed, because if what you're saying is true, then every subject would get high numbers of students getting top grades, like Maths. But this doesn't happen.

Why?

Because the only reason why so many people get top grades in Maths is because it is an easy subject to get a top grade in. This is by virtue of the subject, not because somehow Maths students are more proficient in their subject than students of any other subject. Do you realise how ridiculous and elitist that sounds?

ReputationRep:
    No, you're still not.

My guess would be that there will always be people who aren't naturally good at maths to make the statistic 50% rather than 100% As...

And in my opinion, the easiest one is English Language. It's not black listed in the way general studies is, but if you're doing a humanities subject it's absolutely fine, and a pretty easy B/A.

ReputationRep:
    So what you're saying is that Maths students are naturally of a higher caliber and work at a higher proficiency, than students of any other subject. That students who take Maths are naturally better at Maths.

That's ridiculous, and you can look at all the other subjects to prove it.

English students would then be naturally proficient in English. Psychology students would naturally proficient in Psychology, right? Etc.

Then why don't these subjects get stats like Maths? Your logic is flawed, because if what you're saying is true, then every subject would get high numbers of students getting top grades, like Maths. But this doesn't happen.

Why?

Because the only reason why so many people get top grades in Maths is because it is an easy subject to get a top grade in. This is by virtue of the subject, not because somehow Maths students are more proficient in their subject than students of any other subject. Do you realise how ridiculous and elitist that sounds?
    No, again, I am saying if you're not naturally good at maths, in other words struggle, you won't find it easy.

ReputationRep:
    politics

ReputationRep:
    No, again, I am saying if you're not naturally good at maths, in other words struggle, you won't find it easy.
    This is a redundant thing to say.

If you're not naturally good at any subject, you won't find it easy.

ReputationRep:
    This is a redundant thing to say.

If you're not naturally good at any subject, you won't find it easy.
    You've finally got it

Therefore you can not say it is by far the easiest subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    So Not general studies/citizenship?
    general studies is ****. A lot of unis don't really like it anyway

ReputationRep:
    You've finally got it

Therefore you can not say it is by far the easiest subject
    Success in all subjects is aided by 'natural talent'.

The notion that Maths has more students with natural talent for Maths than, say, History has students with natural talent for History, is idiotic though.

Maths students are no more 'gifted' for their subject than any other student for any other subject.

The only logical conclusion is that Maths, as a subject, is easier than pretty much every other subject. The high stats are a result of the nature of the subject, not by virtue of 'gifted students'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medleg)
    Geography is pretty easy!
    I thought geography was pretty easy as well

ReputationRep:
    It's always hard to say when there's different people with different talents. I didn't do A-levels (not from the UK) but while doing the equivalent here, there were people incredibly good at Maths who struggled in languages and the other way round.
    I mean, we had to take a whole lot of subjects, and funnily enough, my worst subject was Art which was really easy for people talented in it.

ReputationRep:
    Your argument is absolutely correct. Maths is objectively the easiest subject at A-Level. With how ridiculously predictable the questions are and how algorithmic the methods are, you really need to be doing something terribly wrong not to get an A after working very hard (doing all the past papers etc.). You definitely don't need natural ability in maths.
    All is required is that you learn the formulaic methods for each topic, practice lots of questions and you're fine. Understanding some of the material may help as well, but it's probably not even essential.

ReputationRep:
    Success in all subjects is aided by 'natural talent'.

The notion that Maths has more students with natural talent for Maths than, say, History has students with natural talent for History, is idiotic though.

Maths students are no more 'gifted' for their subject than any other student for any other subject.

The only logical conclusion is that Maths, as a subject, is easier than pretty much every other subject. The high stats are a result of the nature of the subject, not by virtue of 'gifted students'.
    Oh my god, I was simply saying you cannot say to someone maths is the easiest subject. You don't know their strengths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.