Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

engineers > scientists > doctors > lawyers > everyone else Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raizelcadres)
    I'm confused in what you are trying to stay.
    poor geography students.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeyTr)
    Being a Mech Eng student I'm certainly not going to disagree, where's programmers though? I must admit I have a lot of respect for them. If they're included in engineers then you're more than I can even imagine.
    ? Really?
    The only problem you see with this is the fact that programmers arent included?
    Thats the only thing that makes him 'more than you can even imagine'?
    :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RooshV)
    Someone is feeling a little insecure at this moment in time.

It happens to the best of us bro
    i earn 80k per year.

you're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awesomebrah)
    poor geography students.
    ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasfxekl)
    mathematicians first
    Nah mathematics is just a notational system without context, you might as well just write &+€=32^¥, without context it's meaningless. Engineering and physics is the bridge between solving real problems and the notational system. Without physics, mathematics is fundamentally meaningless. I would put mathematicians in scientists though.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, them applied mathematicians saying they're better than the real thing.

We all know physics (and by extension mechanics) is applied maths and application is, by its very nature, an impure and sullying thing.

Nah, mathematicians > > > applied mathematicians > untermensch.

ReputationRep:
    Nah mathematics is just a notational system without context, you might as well just write &+€=32^¥, without context it's meaningless. Engineering and physics is the bridge between solving real problems and the notational system. Without physics, mathematics is fundamentally meaningless. I would put mathematicians in scientists though.
    It is not fundamentally meaningless without physics. Mathematics shows what you can do given a set of propositions. It is so important for computer science, engineering, physics.... Mathematics without the rest of science can exist, science without mathematics can't.

Basically this whole thread is just this: https://xkcd.com/435/

ReputationRep:
    Without application in a physical world maths is just art.

ReputationRep:
    Relevant xkcd

ReputationRep:

there is no engineering there - if it was you'd have to scroll like two miles to the right to see it.

ReputationRep:

you beat me to it...

ReputationRep:
    there is no engineering there - if it was you'd have to scroll like two miles to the left to see it.
    FTFY

ReputationRep:
    I know I said I preferred being on the bottom to somebody but this was not what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    Any *osser can be an engineer, but it takes a marvelous genius to make it to becoming a physicist or a mathematician.

ReputationRep:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KVMvubKNDkc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Any *osser can be an engineer, but it takes a marvelous genius to make it to becoming a mathematician.
    ftfy.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think lawyers are a bit high up? Idk, they strike me as pretty far removed from STEM.

ReputationRep:
    i earn 80k per year.

you're welcome.
    And with all of that, you couldn't buy humility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.name)
    And with all of that, you couldn't buy humility.
    BURRRRNNN!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree, if there was no music in the world I'd rather be dead.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.