Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably assume that she's not resilient when it comes to feeling self conscious, perceiving there to be peer pressure, or generally worrying about "omg what will other people think?!". Either that or she's finally given in and now wants all the male attention.

I think it's up to you to do what you believe is right. But I feel as though it's unlikely that someone who used to wear the hijab (out of choice) is suddenly going to change her mind and genuinely believe that it's no longer right to wear it. More likely, her insecurities or desires have got the better of her and begun to take priority over her principles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    yeah they can all claim that it was ALWAYS their choice to wear it from a young age as much as they want but its pretty obvious when you see 8 year old girls in hijabs that it wasn't their choice to wear it, more likely their dad demanded it.
    That's not really true. You're probably saying this from the perspective of someone who's not immersed in Muslim culture and still sees the hijab as something "weird".

If an 8 year old muslim girl is wearing a hijab, most likely it's because she's imitating her mother and other female adults and role models she sees around her, in the same way that you might see an 8 year old western girl trying on her mum's high heels, borrowing her lipstick or wearing clip-on earrings. They'd see it as something that "grown-ups" wear and feel a similar sense of maturity when putting it on.

Certainly in this country, parents demanding that their daughters (especially their 8 year old daughters) wear a hijab is extremely unusual, and it's very common amongst sisters that one will wear the hijab religiously and the other won't. Additionally many people wear it for fashion reasons rather than religious reasons, e.g. if a lot of their friends are wearing it.

And on the rare occasion that someone is wearing the hijab purely out of parental insistence, it'll again be more likely that it's the mother who demands it rather than the father, since they'll be more in touch with its meaning, how it's perceived by their segment of society etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryos2)
    It's like me asking about blue and you giving me an explanation about red though. Your opinion was based on an incorrect assumption so it is kind of moot. I do appreciate the reply however, thank you

Not at all, I'm completely open to questions about my decision. Male attention isn't really my concern (and not solely because I'm already dating someone) and of course people could be curious, it's more that I was hoping people wouldn't be making silly assumptions as has already happened in this thread, and assume I took it off because my parents no longer oppress me or some bull like that. I guess it's common to feel vulnerable when making big changes to your appearance. Thank you for your politeness, you didn't come off as naive at all x

People make silly assumptions all the time the saying 'dont judge a book by its cover' is TOTAL BS. You just have to do what you think is right and not let anyone that says or thinks those assumptions about you get to your head. If people ask you about your hijab and why you removed it tell them the reason, if they dont assume that they dont care and whatever they might think or say behind your back isnt going to affect you in anyway.

Also can I ask you to elaborate on how you think your parents oppressed you? ( Sorry if i sounded like a 10 year old before with all the typos and spelling mistakes its late and i cant sleep!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'd probably assume that she's not resilient when it comes to feeling self conscious, perceiving there to be peer pressure, or generally worrying about "omg what will other people think?!". Either that or she's finally given in and now wants all the male attention.

I think it's up to you to do what you believe is right. But I feel as though it's unlikely that someone who used to wear the hijab (out of choice) is suddenly going to change her mind and genuinely believe that it's no longer right to wear it. More likely, her insecurities or desires have got the better of her and begun to take priority over her principles.
    You're right, someone who made the choice to wear it would not suddenly decide to take it off. Which is my point here, I spent a couple years thinking about myself and my religion and came to the conclusion that I'm not really religious anymore, so wearing the hijab was wrong. It was not sudden at all and while it might be right that a woman taking it off could be doing it to societal pressure, in my case it was a personal journey. The self consciousness comes from changing my appearance so much (hijab to non hijab) and wondering what people will think. I'd be more sympathetic and not assume that a woman would be doing it for superficial reasons only. People change as do their principles and their spirituality.

(Original post by kish667)
    People make silly assumptions all the time the saying 'dont judge a book by its cover' is TOTAL BS. You just have to do what you think is right and not let anyone that says or thinks those assumptions about you get to your head. If people ask you about your hijab and why you removed it tell them the reason, if they dont assume that they dont care and whatever they might think or say behind your back isnt going to affect you in anyway.

Also can I ask you to elaborate on how you think your parents oppressed you? ( Sorry if i sounded like a 10 year old before with all the typos and spelling mistakes its late and i cant sleep!!)
    Thanks for that advice, you're right. Hijab or not, it's not important what people you barely know say. In terms of my parents oppressing me, they did the opposite. When I made the decision to wear it they didn't give much of a toss either way really. I was just trying to say that I feel people would assume I had been oppressed and no longer am, when that was never the case to begin with. Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    nothing, just eager to see what their hair looks like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    nothing, just eager to see what their hair looks like
    Haha I would be too actually. I had a hijab wearing friend once who dyed her hair a bright reddish pink. That would have been a funny reaction from people if she just took it off out of nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I would be too actually. I had a hijab wearing friend once who dyed her hair a bright reddish pink. That would have been a funny reaction from people if she just took it off out of nowhere.
    exactly! people assume them to be bog standard colours and a normal down style but iv seen some with real bright hair and it surprises me.
    one example was of the masood women on eastenders (the young one) who took hers off and she had a brown short pixie cut and that surprised me

ReputationRep:
    You're right, someone who made the choice to wear it would not suddenly decide to take it off. Which is my point here, I spent a couple years thinking about myself and my religion and came to the conclusion that I'm not really religious anymore, so wearing the hijab was wrong. It was not sudden at all and while it might be right that a woman taking it off could be doing it to societal pressure, in my case it was a personal journey. The self consciousness comes from changing my appearance so much (hijab to non hijab) and wondering what people will think. I'd be more sympathetic and not assume that a woman would be doing it for superficial reasons only. People change as do their principles and their spirituality.
    What was the reason behind wearing the hijab in the first place?

I don't mean "Because I used to be more religious, and my religion says I have to do it," but I mean, what is the actual practical function that you used to believe it fulfils in real life?*

ReputationRep:
    I'd think she's beautiful and courageous, not because she's removed the Hijab, but because she's being true to herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaramiSalami)
    I'd think she's beautiful and courageous, not because she's removed the Hijab, but because she's being true to herself.
    tears man😢 love this
    Fave comments on here were this and the one about 'checking to see if you're fit' but since I'm here I'll give my opinion, I wouldn't really care too much - probably ask why? Do your parents mind? How you finding second year?
    (Non Muslim male)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ... I was hoping people wouldn't be making silly assumptions ... and assume I took it off because my parents no longer oppress me or some bull like that
    I imagine that is precisely what some people will think. Many non-muslims see the hijab as a symbol of female oppression and will assume that you have broken free of parental and religious tyranny.
    I wonder if there will be some people who don't even recognise you - because they've never been able to see past the hijab. It could be an interesting social experiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamof)
    tears man😢 love this
    Fave comments on here were this and the one about 'checking to see if you're fit' but since I'm here I'll give my opinion, I wouldn't really care too much - probably ask why? Do your parents mind? How you finding second year?
    (Non Muslim male)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man

I don't want to crap on Islam, but I do want people to feel safe knowing they can live how they choose.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.