Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this isn't much related but, in GCSE, I was working at a Grade E at the end of Year 9 but got an A grade at the end of Year 11. This made me complacent I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulxo)
    At the moment, you may believe that learning maths means learning rules that you have to regurgitate in the exam. As you've discovered, this doesn't work. Think of it like this; if you see a cooker on with the gas/elec on full blast, do you think to yourself 'I must remember not to touch that'? Do you worry you'll forget? No, because you understand what would happen if you did. Same with learning maths (or anything). If you can understand it - you won't forget it.

To really understand it there are 2 good ways. One to be able to explain the idea without using the word itself. So for example, saying 'differentiation is when you differentiate' is meaningless. You have to explain why you do it and what is its purpose.

Second, can you explain it to someone else? If so, and they understand you - you understand it!

Feel free to keep asking me questions
    Would it be possible for you to list what you need to get for a D, C, B and an A?

ReputationRep:
    How did you go from An A at GCSE------> to an E at AS???/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    How did you go from An A at GCSE------> to an E at AS???/
    It happens to a lot of people because the GCSE doesn't adequately prepare students for A-level. Even an A leaves a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spectrum35)
    Would it be possible for you to list what you need to get for a D, C, B and an A?
    I think you've missed my point. Have faith in understanding the topics. The grades will follow.

Read this for a solid grounding.

http://amzn.to/2bVoG9x

ReputationRep:
    It happens to a lot of people because the GCSE doesn't adequately prepare students for A-level. Even an A leaves a lot of work.
    I would disagree with this as i know many who got a B or C at GCSE but got Bs and sometimes As at AS and A2

ReputationRep:
    I did my AS maths exam and got an E. In class, I was sending my teachers past paper questions and getting him to mark, studying before the day of the class. I was working at Grades A and B throughout the year. I just don't understand where I went wrong. Can someone with advice tell me how to improve my grade at A2 please? Thanks
    Just do all the past papers backwards, start with all the hard questions and go backwards, it worked for me. If you get stuck on the last question ask a teacher or friend

And btw an E is not a fail, a U is a fail.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've missed my point. Have faith in understanding the topics. The grades will follow.

Read this for a solid grounding.

http://amzn.to/2bVoG9x
    We have a textbook we use. Should I understand each topic and do questions/ past papers after before I move to the next topic?

ReputationRep:
    We have a textbook we use. Should I understand each topic and do questions/ past papers after before I move to the next topic?
    Do as much maths as you can. Forget exam boards etc, I taught myself from a text book that was different from my actual exam and completed past papers from all sorts of exam boards.

There's a difference between knowing how to do things and understanding why you do them. Once you understand you should be able to do any question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.