Turn on thread page Beta

Moving into halls...are you taking your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    i definately will do, there's no way i'm taking all my stuff up to dundee on my own. and my dad is really embarrassing (imagine your typical fat, loud, annoying glaswegian and that's my dad) but he can carry stuff and has a nice credit card and i get on well with my mum anyway... i guess most people will have embarrasing parents and i won't be going home til christmas anyway.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Who will have their parents with them when they move into uni? ....as I'm taking my car I really don't need mine to come, but I've asked them anyway....
    My dad brought my stuff up, couldn't get two parents in the car, wouldn't have had enough room for my stuff otherwise.

He didn't stay for too long, brought the stuff down stairs into the flat, made sure that I had a good amount of food, and that I had enough extension plugs to get my PC in, moved some of my furniture around, and within about 90 minutes he'd gone and left me to my own devices.

ReputationRep:
    Who will have their parents with them when they move into uni? ....as I'm taking my car I really don't need mine to come, but I've asked them anyway....

my parents and brother are comin wit me!! its an 8hr trip n their like ooh we'll stay the night in a hotel...n mummy will come n tuck u into bed :rolleyes: ...im thinkin OH DEAR!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyboo)
    my parents and brother are comin wit me!! its an 8hr trip n their like ooh we'll stay the night in a hotel...n mummy will come n tuck u into bed :rolleyes: ...im thinkin OH DEAR!!!

Many a story of mothers not being able to let go when their kids go to Uni.

Expect much cheek pulling when you return, and plenty of phonecalls mainly making sure that you're eating well (speaks from experience with grandma during the first semester).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Many a story of mothers not being able to let go when their kids go to Uni.

Expect much cheek pulling when you return, and plenty of phonecalls mainly making sure that you're eating well (speaks from experience with grandma during the first semester).
    I can corroborate that experience with my experience of my mother :rolleyes: Last year my parents drove me up, unpacked the car for me, took my out for lunch, bought me shopping and then buggered off. My mum left her bad tho 'accidently' apparently but i'm sure she just wanted to come back and check on me :rolleyes:

plenty of phonecalls mainly making sure that you're eating well (speaks from experience with grandma during the first semester).
    I've got this all planned out, when they ask me that I will say that I'm too poor to buy food which surely will make my parents put a cheque in the post. I plan to try the same kinda thing when they ask "is it cold up there?"......but in that one I get a prada sweater instead of the cash!!!

ReputationRep:
    My super cool brother is taking me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I've got this all planned out, when they ask me that I will say that I'm too poor to buy food which surely will make my parents put a cheque in the post. I plan to try the same kinda thing when they ask "is it cold up there?"......but in that one I get a prada sweater instead of the cash!!!

Shameful behaviour.

Shameful behaviour.
    Yet necessary if it puts me in this winters finest!!!

*Leekey does not condone these type of actions for any other purpose other than the persuit of clothing* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I can corroborate that experience with my experience of my mother :rolleyes: Last year my parents drove me up, unpacked the car for me, took my out for lunch, bought me shopping and then buggered off. My mum left her bad tho 'accidently' apparently but i'm sure she just wanted to come back and check on me :rolleyes:
    My gran lives about 45 mins away from uni so I've been there for the weekend a few times for purposes of free food and to get my laundry done...each time I've been packed off back to uni with bags full of fruit (and the odd chocolate cake), as she says I need to make sure I'm eating properly!

ReputationRep:
    Yet necessary if it puts me in this winters finest!!!

*Leekey does not condone these type of actions for any other purpose other than the persuit of clothing* :rolleyes:
    worked for me. my mum bought me the cosiest, snuggiest, lovliest ugg boots last winter cos *it'll be cold in dundee* (and obviously i didn't have enough shoes) and i have so many gorgeous jumpers (in pretty colours)

as for the food thing, i know my mum will go weird. she was funny about me being self-catered on holiday cos i've had eating problems in the past and sometimes i just can't be bothered eating at all (especially if i'm tired or unhappy) so i know she'll give me zillions of frozen meals that take like no effort. and i'll just go see my godmother in edinburgh when i want properly spoilt.

oh and ive told my mum i won't be able to afford to come home but i can afford to get to edinburgh and if they come up for rugby matches i could go with them *result= ticket to rugby match and shoppign spree in ediniburgh with daddy's credit card*

parents... so easy to manipulate

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    worked for me. my mum bought me the cosiest, snuggiest, lovliest ugg boots last winter cos *it'll be cold in dundee* (and obviously i didn't have enough shoes) and i have so many gorgeous jumpers (in pretty colours)

as for the food thing, i know my mum will go weird. she was funny about me being self-catered on holiday cos i've had eating problems in the past and sometimes i just can't be bothered eating at all (especially if i'm tired or unhappy) so i know she'll give me zillions of frozen meals that take like no effort. and i'll just go see my godmother in edinburgh when i want properly spoilt.

oh and ive told my mum i won't be able to afford to come home but i can afford to get to edinburgh and if they come up for rugby matches i could go with them *result= ticket to rugby match and shoppign spree in ediniburgh with daddy's credit card*

lou xxx

YAY....come to Edinburgh and get trollied with me!!!

ReputationRep:
    YAY....come to Edinburgh and get trollied with me!!!
    *runs for the hills*... actually it is less than an hour on the train to both glasgow and ediniburgh (kinda the distance from me to liverpool/ manchester at the mo) so i'll prob do things like my christmas shopping there *loves edinburgh all christmassy*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    :eek: I wish mine were as easy as yours! I keep complaining of lack of money and waht I do have I always spend and my mum just says 'never mind, you're only young once'!!! And my hairdryer broke right in the middle of winter, when having wet hair in the mornings is not a good idea, but it was just before they were coming to visit, so naturally I washed my hair in the evenings instead so it could dry inside in the warm, so that when my parents came they could buy me a new one, but no I had to buy it myself (although they did buy me £35 worth of food :cool: ). So the next time they came, I conveniently 'forgot' to bring my purse with me so that anything I needed they had to pay (and that included new pans cos I managed to burn my first set although the first set were very cheap and couldn't cope on electric hobs) !

ReputationRep:
    The thing about embarrassing parents is, theyre your parents. You have no control over their actions, other people should realise this. At all my Uni open days my dad was being abit of a penis but I didnt really care, hes not me, and its my fault hes the way he is

On one of them my mum was even smoking as they were walking us around campus, yet again, not my fault, so I dont care

Im gonna get my parents to take me to Uni, or maybe a parent, its a 4 hour drive and theres no other way I can get up there without them

ReputationRep:
    And there's always some poor sod there who's parents are worse than yours. I realised that when I got there - one of the guys who was in my hall this year, well his mother was desperate to come and stay on his floor because she wanted to sleep uni style on the floor in his room :confused: . She also insisted on doing everything for him when she came up, she even bought a hoover up to clean his room!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    And there's always some poor sod there who's parents are worse than yours. I realised that when I got there - one of the guys who was in my hall this year, well his mother was desperate to come and stay on his floor because she wanted to sleep uni style on the floor in his room :confused: . She also insisted on doing everything for him when she came up, she even bought a hoover up to clean his room!
    LOL....my mum had a massive fit when she went to visit my sister at uni in Bournemouth and saw the state of the bathroom....she went to the local shop, bought some cleaning stuff and then made my sister get down on her hands and knees scrubbing the toilet and shower whilst she supervised! haha!

ReputationRep:
    I think my mum, dad and grandparents want to come but I don't think they'll be staying for long as it's about 5 hours there and another 5 hours back. I'll tell them to go anyway when I'm settled just have to be prepared for all the embarassing parent stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I think my mum is coming and perhaps my dad. My mum is really looking forward to it and would insist on coming even if I told her she wasn't allowed. But that's ok, she's not too embarrassing. I don't know how long parents usually stay though. I don't want to kind of say "bye, then" ten minutes after we get there, but its a bit more hard to talk to people your own age when your parents are around (you can't pretend to be cool without a parent butting in with a delightful story of you eating woodlice or something when you were little). I'm not too bothered though, there's plenty of time to be cool after they leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I know of a girl whose parents lived in a caravan outside Cambridge for the first few weeks of her stay at uni. :eek: She'd never stayed away from home before though, so it's understandable.

On my first trip to uni, I actually took two cars, both parents and my sister. The second car only had my bike and cello in, but they wouldn't fit in the first one. Ever since then I've managed with only one parent and one car.

Mine have been surprisingly cool about my being away; they never ring me unless it's urgent, they don't hang around when they visit unless I want them to (like when they came for my concert), and they don't do embarassing-dad-things . I lived away in Switzerland for quite a while in my Gap year, so I expect that's part of it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.