The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What are the best A Levels if you want to do Economics at LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dp00
x

Hi there,

These videos might be useful in helping you make your decision - the economics one in particular.
Maths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4&list=PLy5ETTP3287zNzWzoQuiOr795z2YdseEi&index=1
Economics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGLp4IeieI&list=PLy5ETTP3287zNzWzoQuiOr795z2YdseEi&index=2
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by dp00
I am about to choose my A Level options. My dream is to do Economics at LSE! I hear that Universities (especially the elite ones) are really tired of the usual A Levels for certain courses, e.g Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics for Medicine!

Does anyone who has experience of this know what would be the best A Levels to take to maximise my appeal to the LSE for the Economics course?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Maths, Further Maths, Economics + Physics/Chemistry/History/Geography

About Further Maths: You will be fine as long as you have AS Further Maths (even if you do the AS in your second year). If your college doesnt offer it, then that is another issue and you should tell them. Taking Further Maths will advantage you while at University. Good luck :smile:
Original post by PeterhouseKIL
If you pick Further Maths, they won't take that as an A Level entry requirement for straight Economics and they'll put you onto the application for Economics and Mathematics.

So, unless you want to do Econ and Maths and not straight Econ, don't pick further maths- unless it is your fourth choice A2. Call them up and check that, it may be different.

I suggest Mathematics, Economics and anything else from Philosophy, English, a science, anthropology, something in the arts.

See what options you have at the place you're studying, even a language would be great.

Where else are you applying? I mean, the best Economics institutions alongside LSE are Oxbridge, Warwick and UCL too, and they pretty much all are attracted to the same A2s.

Do you think Maths, Economics and Chemistry is a good combination?:smile: And now I'm starting to get really worried because everybody seems to have done further maths...:redface:
Original post by sunshine774
Do you think Maths, Economics and Chemistry is a good combination?:smile: And now I'm starting to get really worried because everybody seems to have done further maths...:redface:

Its good.
But if your college offers Further maths, then pick up AS Further Maths in A2 if you want to make your application a bit stronger.
I have seen students with no further maths getting and offer, so no need to worry too much, but if you have it, it will benefit you.
Original post by Fbiemad
Its good.
But if your college offers Further maths, then pick up AS Further Maths in A2 if you want to make your application a bit stronger.
I have seen students with no further maths getting and offer, so no need to worry too much, but if you have it, it will benefit you.

OK thanks, I think I might do that!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending