Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    yo yo dieting is definitely seen as a health problem... repeatedly gaining and losing weight fast tends to increase your body fat percentage (because if you lose weight fast you might lose 5lbs fat and 5lbs muscle then you gain the weight but when you gain it you gain 8lbs fat and 2lbs muscle because muscle takes longer)

also how on earth are you gaining 10kg in a month?! that's a huge amount
    That isn't clear at all from the science. Some studies indicate it is bad, others indicate that it is not bad.

What is true for sure though is that, assuming you are not underweight, gaining weight is bad for you. It is also true for sure that if you are overweight, losing weight is good for you. So the problem with yo yo dieting is putting the weight on in the first place.

That is why I don't like the question how to stop yo yo dieting because it is half good and half bad. It is bad to gain weight in the first place but having already gained it, it is good to lose it.

Constant low weight>=Yo yo>constant high weight

A better question would be how to maintain a low weight.

As for me gaining 10kg in a month, my ideal weight is high because I have a naturally big frame and high muscle mass. Ideal is about 100kg for me. Recently I fluctuated been 105-120kg. So 10kg isn't that big as a percentage.

My favourite method of losing weight is no carbs. When I come off a low carb diet, I can gain 4kg in a couple of days in water weight.

I have months where I drink 40,000kcal before I've even started on food so if I'm not watching what I'm eating either, another 6kg is not hard to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Stop saying yo to every burger van and hot dog stall

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know whether I do that or not? Haven't had a hotdog in frickin years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Do NOT cut down an entire food group, it's just not sustainable, our bodies are designed to have a balanced diet. Follow a Mediterranean diet and don't cut out anything or limit yourself to 1000 calorie diets
    1000 calories a day is not healthy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    That isn't clear at all from the science. Some studies indicate it is bad, others indicate that it is not bad.

What is true for sure though is that, assuming you are not underweight, gaining weight is bad for you. It is also true for sure that if you are overweight, losing weight is good for you. So the problem with yo yo dieting is putting the weight on in the first place.

That is why I don't like the question how to stop yo yo dieting because it is half good and half bad. It is bad to gain weight in the first place but having already gained it, it is good to lose it.

As for me gaining 10kg in a month, my ideal weight is high because I have a naturally big frame and high muscle mass. Ideal is about 100kg for me. Recently I fluctuated been 105-120kg. So 10kg isn't that big as a percentage.

My favourite method of losing weight is no carbs. When I come off a low carb diet, I can gain 4kg in a couple of days in water weight.

I have months where I drink 40,000kcal before I've even started on food so if I'm not watching what I'm eating either, another 6kg is not hard to do.
    losing weight CAN be bad in a yo yo sense as generally yo yo dieters lose weight in a unsustainable way and that's why they yo yo right back up again - leading a healthy and active lifestyle is by far the best thing you can do and generally that will lead to some moderate and sustainable weight loss anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomeoSantos)
    1000 calories a day is not healthy
    I think he was saying don't do that. But there is nothing unhealthy about 1000kcal a day. It is not sustainable long term but you can get everything your body needs in 1000kcals.

ReputationRep:

It didn't name it as "How do you maintain a low weight?" because I've already gained at least 2 dress sizes (from 10 to 12/14ish) so I want to get back to that size or to a size 8 and stay that size

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the biggest person out there but I have personal goals that I'd like to achieve

ReputationRep:
    Also, I've realised that my muscle mass is much lower than the last time I was a size 14 so I feel much larger
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    Do you know whether I do that or not? Haven't had a hotdog in frickin years!
    That's what I thought yo yo diets were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    That's what I thought yo yo diets were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually don't go out to eat much. It's more of a snacking issue and not exercising often

ReputationRep:
    I think he was saying don't do that. But there is nothing unhealthy about 1000kcal a day. It is not sustainable long term but you can get everything your body needs in 1000kcals.
    yeah but then when you start eating normal amounts again you'll gain loads of weight so its not healthy.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    I actually don't go out to eat much. It's more of a snacking issue and not exercising often
    Ohhh, so you're like me

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.