Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people stupid enough to believe there isn't a recession? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Except it is. Everything we hear is opinion. It's all to do with perspective. Is what I'm saying to you hitting a nerve?
    no, i'm only responding to here you proselytise your spiritualist nonsense...haha. it's my belief that there are opinions and facts, but cool continue to be asperger's like, i don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    no, i'm only responding to here you proselytise your spiritualist nonsense...haha. it's my belief that there are opinions and facts, but cool continue to be asperger's like, i don't care.
    It's not a spiritualistic response, of anything it's showing I'm not as close minded to readily accept something just because the majority do

ReputationRep:
    yes, you are proselytising. but then cool, you don't get conversational points, i'll just label as you asperger's on multiple counts. including that somehow i'm not allowed to express an opinion loolol.
    Well if you believe I have Asperger's then that's your opinion and I will respect that. You arguing that a fact is a fact is also your opinion, because I don't agree with it therefore it's not a fact

ReputationRep:
    well it's pretty obvious, but then i like how my view is somehow not as valid as your own...haha..i think that's why you only came here, to flex some muscles, but cool, i'm gone now.

ReputationRep:
    I am no economist, which means that I've got a minute knowledge of economics, but a recession is an economic decline during two consecutive quarters. Considering that the referendum was in July we can't say that we are in a recession now, but many economists - which are mainly from the Remain camp - have predicted that there will a recession in August 2016. This hypothesis is challenged by two main factors. The first factor being that, as mentioned above, a recession is an economic decline during two consecutive quarters (this means that economists and the government have to wait 6 months before they can label the current economical climate as a 'recession). The second factor is that we are still in the European Union ('EU') which means that the economical climate won't change, drastically, due to the so-called 'Brexit' - although some people believe that the referendum's result meant that we are out and the UK's economical climate is going to go in to turmoil.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Many Brexit economists are saying there won't even be a short-term shallow recession.

are they dim, or did they buy their degrees under the table?

it stands to reason that firms will not hire as much or invest as much, leading to less orders, and less consumer spending.

Why are they parroting this pseudo-economical *******s?
    Well, it's quite simple: because all the pointers are to growth, as we will see in the coming weeks with the next lot of data coming out.

Of course, the irony of the final line is that firms are still hiring more than they're losing, there is still strong inwards investment (all those companies saying they wouldn't invest after a leave vote did regardless), exports are increasing, and only a dimwit would expect otherwise, and consumer spending has increased.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Remainer and I'm also acutely worried about some of the noises coming out of the government at the moment, suggesting this will not be a "soft" Brexit. I certainly wouldn't make a prediction of a recession - not to say one necessarily won't happen, but I certainly don't think it's sufficiently likely to state as a probable outcome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.