Turn on thread page Beta

Why does any religion exist in this day and age? watch

ReputationRep:
    Because we're simple creatures that like to think our world is simple.
    Saying 'god did it' is a lot less stressful than trying to actually understand the mechanisms of our existence; and appears that humans dislike such uncertainty.

ReputationRep:
    You can't say science has disproved religion when there are many Christian Scientists (Einstein was one for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawyer3c)
    1. There is no evidence for x
    2. It has been scientifically proven that x does not exist
    3. 1 and 2 are not the same
    4. OP's original statement was "it has been scientifically proven that there is no devil"
    5. The statement in 4 is akin to 2, not 1

I am as atheist as they come; I have not dismissed any criticism of any religion. Please try harder.
    I have already said people use unscientific language to explain scientific concepts, if you had any kind of science knowledge you would know this, even if we were talking English comprehension, anyone with a knowledge of that would understand the gist of what was being conveyed. That is why I mentioned Muddy waters, language is a trick, lawyers use it to fool people.

An atheist who uses tricks and language against his father is no friend of mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SquashyOshy)
    You can't say science has disproved religion when there are many Christian Scientists (Einstein was one for example).
    No he wasn't, try Jason Lisle. A bigger fool you will not find.

ReputationRep:
    Einstein was Jewish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    I have already said people use unscientific language to explain scientific concepts, if you had any kind of science knowledge you would know this, even if we were talking English comprehension, anyone with a knowledge of that would understand the gist of what was being conveyed.
    I understood the gist of what he was trying to say, but what he actually said was inaccurate.

Maybe it's because of so-called scientists like yourself having such a lax approach to accuracy that NASA lost a $125m Mars orbiter.

ReputationRep:
    Greatest man who ever lived said....

“People in love will tolerate more than they usually do, they will put up with anything. A religion had to be invented where people could love: it gets them through the worst in life.”

"Here the ways of men divide: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you wish to be a disciple of truth, then inquire."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    I think you'll find that it's 99.99999999998989898999999989898 98989898798989898989989898989999 99999999998999999999898988799999 99999999

But anyway, this is a message to everyone, please can you forget, my previous post in which I wrote that it "is scientifically proven" and move on to debating the existence of a God or gods and goddesses in a Professional manner.
    Well given that there is no direct proof of God's existence, and that 100% would be definitely knowing no God existed, it basically is 99.999..%. There is no evidence at all but as I said by its very nature you can't really disprove it, so the % is arbitrary but there is no reason to assume it's statistically significant.

What was unprofessional about what I posted? If anything, yours was less professional.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Einstein was a Jew

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny:

You're so ignorant, it's hilarious. I guess religious folk will do anything to keep up the fairy tale. :rolleyes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    Well given that there is no direct proof of God's existence, and that 100% would be definitely knowing no God existed, it basically is 99.999..%. There is no evidence at all but as I said by its very nature you can't really disprove it, so the % is arbitrary but there is no reason to assume it's statistically significant.

What was unprofessional about what I posted? If anything, yours was less professional.
    No, I didn't mean you're post was unprofessional, what I meant was that there was some aggression between the replyers.

ReputationRep:
    I understood the gist of what he was trying to say, but what he actually said was inaccurate.

Maybe it's because of so-called scientists like yourself having such a lax approach to accuracy that NASA lost a $125m Mars orbiter.
    Science loses billions every year, it does not make it unnecessary, only a lawyer would put a value on truth. Only a religionist would stuff their church Pillars full of money for the glory of god. But then you get the tossers who don't really care which side the coin lands on, they are not interested in truth.

ReputationRep:
    Science loses billions every year, it does not make it unnecessary
    I agree completely, but fail to see how it is relevant.

ReputationRep:
    People are always going to believe in something, be it Gods or otherwise. We still have religions in modern day society because regardless of our social advances or technological achievements at a base level we still have, and I think we always will, a sense of disatisfaction with what there is and a belief in something more. For many people religion is their only comfort, and because there are so many for whom this is the case, religeon is not likely to fizzle out any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    No, I didn't mean you're post was unprofessional, what I meant was that there was some aggression between the replyers.
    Oh ok, fair enough, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely, but fail to see how it is relevant.
    It is relevant because science works, if you looked at all the appeals on media for money you would realise that most of them are for non-science projects, even though most of them are worthy appeals. Then you have the religious appeals for money, so much for Bob's full house, this and that for Joyce Meyers family and there are lots of these charlatans all being protected by lawyers, that is the reality of using dogmatism as a basis of truth. I always think, LIAR LIAR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPH125)
    Whether it's true or not is another story, but I think people believe in a God because it's a nice idea that someone has a plan for you. It's nice to think that someone might be watching out for you in your time of need. To put it simply as an example, I'm sure there are plenty of people that stepped on the Titanic as atheists, but died religious. A void is a scary concept. The most likely concept, but a scary one all the same. And at the end of the day, we all die alone, so who cares what someone else believes, life is hard enough as it is, you do you, and I'll do me.
    the Christianity you are talking about is the false one
    the real original one is much more grimm
    (YOUR FINAL OPINION ON THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ONES YOU MAKE IN YOUR LIFE)i am telling you this in hopes that youre delusion isnt too bad but watch a man on youtube called wayne levi price because he explains it dar better than i can but the faith you follow is a rip-off of the original faith get yourself a kjv bible (the original bible) and only read that one as all the others have had verses taken out during translation making it a fake and if you depend on any other bible then you are doomed but the thing is, pretty soon martial law will be enstated and their will be a great disaster that will effect many people causing the enstatement of martial law and during this time the government will take true christians from their homes and they will label us as extremists that cant function in society we will then be put into FEMA camps (research them) where we will be faced with two options; take the RFID chip (mark of the beast-google it) or die and tis will go on for 42 months exactly as stated by the bible it will be the next holocaust but on a smaller scale and if we take that mark we will live but if we dont we die and the chip will be used as a new currency and money will be rendered obsolete so unless we have the mark we cant buy or sell (AS STATED IN REVELATIONSRevelation 13:17“And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” and just now new zealand got a 7.1 earthquake and tsunamis are coming the world is cracking around us WAKE UP FOLKS THE LORD IS COMING
    oh and god doesn't want to be scientifically proven this life is a test and its not a test if we are given the answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kai-jean)
    the Christianity you are talking about is the false one
    the real original one is much more grimm
    (YOUR FINAL OPINION ON THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ONES YOU MAKE IN YOUR LIFE)i am telling you this in hopes that youre delusion isnt too bad but watch a man on youtube called wayne levi price because he explains it dar better than i can but the faith you follow is a rip-off of the original faith get yourself a kjv bible (the original bible) and only read that one as all the others have had verses taken out during translation making it a fake and if you depend on any other bible then you are doomed but the thing is, pretty soon martial law will be enstated and their will be a great disaster that will effect many people causing the enstatement of martial law and during this time the government will take true christians from their homes and they will label us as extremists that cant function in society we will then be put into FEMA camps (research them) where we will be faced with two options; take the RFID chip (mark of the beast-google it) or die and tis will go on for 42 months exactly as stated by the bible it will be the next holocaust but on a smaller scale and if we take that mark we will live but if we dont we die and the chip will be used as a new currency and money will be rendered obsolete so unless we have the mark we cant buy or sell (AS STATED IN REVELATIONSRevelation 13:17“And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” and just now new zealand got a 7.1 earthquake and tsunamis are coming the world is cracking around us WAKE UP FOLKS THE LORD IS COMING
    You have already done this looney **** before, you make any belief in any **** unbelievable, you really need to stop doing that ****.

ReputationRep:
    It is relevant because science works, if you looked at all the appeals on media for money you would realise that most of them are for non-science projects, even though most of them are worthy appeals. Then you have the religious appeals for money, so much for Bob's full house, this and that for Joyce Meyers family and there are lots of these charlatans all being protected by lawyers, that is the reality of using dogmatism as a basis of truth. I always think, LIAR LIAR.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. You clearly forgot to take your meds today.

ReputationRep:
    it's so dumb, I mean there is no proof of God or Gods or goddesses, there is no Soul, there is no devil, there is no hell and heaven. why do people still believe in this? If there were smart extraterrestrial life, they would not come to Earth for a visit, because they would think that we are idiots for believing in such baloney. debate .
    It seriously takes some dedication to follow your religion. A lot of it is due to whoever raised you and taught you it and MADE you FOLLOW it. But then, how did religions get made in the first place? There's some good sites such as:
    http://www.garvandwane.com/religion/religion1.html
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_theory1.htm

But my answer would be - because beliefs can be used as a form of escapism. Whether that's escapism to the extreme or if that's for "little" things such as taking things for granted. Some people believe and hope that someday it will rain - and when something so impossibly possible happens it is miraculous and sometimes we think only a divine power could have made it. I don't know when that sort of thinking occurred, but one of the links mentioned this.

But that's just beliefs. RELIGION on the other hand is similar but it is a set of rules to follow that are supposed to GUIDE you to lead a fulfilling life. I personally think they're good overall, but there are things I disagree with, and I'm not afraid not to follow them and still call myself a follower, given that to me, it's only a guide. Besides, I would never go out of my way to force someone to believe what I believe, religion-wise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.