Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was the EU referendum a badly planned knee jerk gamble by Cameron? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    He got the short straw really, it was a global crisis that would have landed on whoever was in charge.
    No other PM claimed to have broken the Economic Cycle and to have eradicated Boom & Bust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    In what sense is this not just sour grapes writ large?

Theresa May is not unelected, she's the legitimate PM just like most of the PMs in the last 100 years. This is something you're trying to bring up because you don't like the situation - not because it has any basis in reality.

Gordon Brown was the legit PM when he took decisions that wrecked the economy. John Major was legit PM when we went to war in Kuwait.
    And Theresa May publicly outed both of them for doing so may I add

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    people who say May is an unelected PM do not know a thing about how our political system works
    Her role as Prime Minister will never be legitimised until we've had a general election. I am against both Brown and Major doing it as well. I believe that in a general election "choosing a PM" is as important as a party (and before you @ me about not knowing how politics works, when you vote in a general election you know who would be PM in the invent of that party winning, no?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tols)
    Her role as Prime Minister will never be legitimised until we've had a general election. I am against both Brown and Major doing it as well. I believe that in a general election "choosing a PM" is as important as a party (and before you @ me about not knowing how politics works, when you vote in a general election you know who would be PM in the invent of that party winning, no?)
    Just because you personally disagree with the system and have feelings on what does or doesn't constitute legitimacy - doesn't change anything. It's no different to the wider EU debate or any other election.

The EU vote was 52/48. Some people believe that has no legitimacy. What they believe is irrelevant. Same with a union strike vote, or an MP elected on a small turnout. If a union votes to strike on a tiny turnout- that's a legal basis. Doesn't matter what an individual might feel or want.

Additionally, the people who will most want a General Election are the Conservatives - because (with Corbyn in place) they know they will win with a massive majority - and possibly effectively destroy the Labour Party. Is it not the case that exactly the same people who complain that Theresa May has no mandate, will be the same people who cry foul over the Fixed Term Parliaments Act if a General Election is called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherishFreedom)
    As I pointed out many times before, the OP is not bothered by the view that there is no plan for Brexit, but the fact that the referendum result is Brexit.

In my view, there were major outlines for our departure proposed by the leave campaign, but how can you plan exactly for something that relies heavily on international reaction which is hard to predict? Also it would be extremely stupid to release to the public on how we would react to every possible negotiation scenario. You don't want the other side of the negotiating table to know exactly what you would do, especially when the EU is reported to want to penalise the UK for leaving.

Beside these two simple logics, I just wish people are more honest about their arguments rather in keep banging on about 'no plan'. Let's face it, you are the ones that criticised every possible plan proposed by the Leave side. No Brexit plan is ever going to please you, because you simply just doesn't want to leave the EU.
    But the decision

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.