Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trapz99's Trek to A*A*A! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yes.
    Oh yeh, did you end up sending your insight application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Fatanda)
    Oh yeh, did you end up sending your insight application?
    No I havent
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    In, because you're my main IB helper still in sixth form. Good luck mate, keep us posted and hopefully you smash it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    A*AAC

For physics last year, I did pretty well in my end-of-module tests that we did in class. I just failed the mock exam which the predicted grade was determined from. I just didn't study enough and didn't learn like a quarter of the stuff I needed to learn.

My tip is just to manage your time well, which is something I didn't do enough. You have to do past papers a lot and generally try very hard in all subjects.

Yeah I did more than one module at once.
    Okay thanks and check your pm

ReputationRep:
    No I havent
    PM AdeptDz we got something to help with your application LOOOL.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    How to do the application

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I'm Trapz99 and, after very good GCSEs and a not-so-good AS, I am trying to improve again and aim high!

A bit about me:
    At AS, I got a AA in maths and further maths but my UMS was pretty low in C3 and M2.
    My school does the reformed A-Levels for economics and physics so we didn't do an AS this year and instead did mock exams. In economics I got an A and in physics a C (lol).

So my predicted grades will either be AAAC or A*AAC

Plans for the future:
    My aim is to study economics and maths at university. I am looking to apply to UCL (Economics and Statistics), Warwick (MORSE), Queen Mary (Economics, Mathematics and Statistics), Surrey and KCL (economics). My personal statement will cover economics, mathematics and mathematical economics.

Realising my ambitions:
    Firstly, I will need to revise AS physics since I'm awful at it. I've done some of this over the holidays already but still have some work to do.

Secondly, I will be retaking C3 and M2 next year. For C3 I don't need to do that much work, just some more past papers, but I have some work to do in M2.

Finally, I need to make detailed revision notes for all my non-maths subjects and need to do at least one past paper in each module a week. And somehow I need to fit all of that in between continuing my volunteering, badminton and preparing for the Target 2.0 competition.

This is going to the busiest year of my life!
    I'm applying to Warwick MORSE as well and also UCL Statistics, Economics and Finance. I will be looking over my g.

ReputationRep:
    Plan for this week:
    - Finish C4 Chapters 1&2 - DONE
    - Finish FP1 Chapter 1 - nearly done it
    - Finish Momentum in A2 Physics - DONE
    - Revise AS Physics Particles - DONE
    - Start writing personal statement - haven't started yet
    Plans for this week (12/9/16-18/9/16)
    -Finish FP1 Chapter 1 and start chapter 2
    - Start Fields in A2 Physics
    - Finish C4 Chapters 3& start 4
    - Start writing personal statement
    - Get into Target 2.0 team and start researching

UNI UPDATE: I'm thinking of applying for UCL (Econ and Stats), Warwick (MORSE), KCL (Economics or Maths with Finance and Management), Bristol (Economics and Maths) and Surrey (Economics and Maths)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Good luck

The one thing I would say as well, if the unis you're looking at offer placement years then great - go for those in particular.

And you've done M1 and M2, would be helpful (but not vital by any means) to get some more stats modules in there (though I'm not sure if you've completed A2 FM or just AS.
    Hi, I was just curious- do you apply to placement years yourself or do you get assigned a placement at random by the university? And do you have to pay tuition fees during the placement year?

ReputationRep:
    Lol guys I might just drop physics and have more time to learn to drive.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just curious- do you apply to placement years yourself or do you get assigned a placement at random by the university? And do you have to pay tuition fees during the placement year?
    Just as you'd apply for SWs or summer internships, you'd apply for placement years by yourself - at least at the big firms. If you luck out on those, the regular old email + CV attach to smaller firms would suffice.

The tuition fee is capped at £1.8k on a year out (placement or year abroad) but universities tend to set their own individual rates below this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Physics sucks, do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Apply I know of one guy who went through 5 stages of interviews (I think) of Goldman Sachs for some role there and was ultimately rejected, but 5 to me seems a bit much. Depends where you apply I guess, no doubt anything IB related is highly competitive. But yeah, you apply, CV, cover letter, tests, phone interview, assessment centre.. could have all of those things.

Didn't know placement fees were capped at 1.8k but yes (the year is usually paid, mind) I think I saw as low as £1300 for one uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Physics sucks, do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Physics > everything

ReputationRep:
    Guys do you any of you know what conditions I need to meet in order to get an A* in further maths (edexcel)? Is it 480/600 and 270/300 in A2 units?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Guys do you any of you know what conditions I need to meet in order to get an A* in fourth maths (edexcel)? Is it 480/600 and 270/300 in A2 units?
    Yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    is physics that bad? Actually liking it so far, well just been doing maths so tht could be why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    is physics that bad? Actually liking it so far, well just been doing maths so tht could be why
    Lol no maybe the guy's just not great at physics
    Personally I thought physics was pretty good

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    Any idea on what you want to do in life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Yeah I don't really like it; I only chose it because I heard that it goes well with maths and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    i got A*A*A. I'll share with you a little trick. It's called studying hard and not wasting your time on student room. Use with caution

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.