I need help for AS Spanish!!!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worksmartnothard)
    Great ok, thanks for the advice!!! I've heard so many disgusting things about the UKCAT, especially the timings. I'll push it aside until after my AS's

It was great thanks! I'm so happy we just started of the present tense in Spanish - they're not throwing us in at the deep end!!!

However, in maths we got a test to baseline our progress throughout the year, fun fun fun! No idea how I've done, I'll get my result tomorrow ;D

How's Year 13 so far?
    Yeah the time limit is the worst part of it but it's something you can overcome with practice

I thought they would!! I miss those days actually all we did in our first Spanish A2 lesson today was talk in English for the entire hour.......

Oh baseline tests are great fun, especially if they don't warn you! I had one of those in chem this year and I have defo done awfully - my excuse is it was the same day as my UKCAT and I was stressing let me know how your result is!! I'm sure it's great - if not then who cares, you can astound them with your amazing improvement during the year

Yr13 doesn't seem too bad yet - ask me in a week and I'll probably have a very different answer lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gxsellef)
    No worries!!

The perfect tense (he jugado) is to say "I have played" which you can hear by how you construct it (whatever conjugated form of HABER you need, haber being an auxiliary verb "to have" so you use it whenever you would in English.

The preterite tense is when you're talking about a completed action with a definite start and finish eg "jugué al fútbol ayer"

The imperfect tense is when you're talking about an action that doesn't have a definite start point and a definite end. The main two examples this applies to are talking about old habits ("I used to play football" and interrupted actions ("I was playing football when it started raining". Fittingly, the last example sentence I gave uses the preterite as well: Jugaba al fútbol cuando comenzó llover as the action of playing football was interrupted so requires the imperfect and the rain had a definite start point so requires the preterite. That sentence construction is quite a common one but is seen as complex because you're putting two tenses into one sentence which exam boards likey

I hope that helps a bit! Rules of when to use what tense your teachers will probably go through with you profusely, although it's good to know before you go in!

By the end of the year you'll be able to speak without even thinking about it, te lo prometo

Anything else you need that I can try to help you with, let me know
    Hi, just to make a few corrections to your Spanish which you and others on here may find useful .

"Comenzar" needs to be followed by the preposition "a". So your example sentence should read "Jugaba al fútbol cuando comenzó a llover".

Also, while that sentence is grammatically correct, most Spanish speakers would use the gerund tense with the verb "estar" in that example:

"Estaba jugando al fútbol cuando comenzó a llover".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Hi, just to make a few corrections to your Spanish which you and others on here may find useful .

"Comenzar" needs to be followed by the preposition "a". So your example sentence should read "Jugaba al fútbol cuando comenzó a llover".

Also, while that sentence is grammatically correct, most Spanish speakers would use the gerund tense with the verb "estar" in that example:

"Estaba jugando al fútbol cuando comenzó a llover".
    Thank you! You're right about the "a" after comenzar but I was always taught to avoid the gerund in the other correction you made. My teachers are probably wrong but it's something they always bang on about! I just wanted to ask your level of Spanish and I'll query it with my teachers on Monday (you've got a high rep so you're probably right) - thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! You're right about the "a" after comenzar but I was always taught to avoid the gerund in the other correction you made. My teachers are probably wrong but it's something they always bang on about! I just wanted to ask your level of Spanish and I'll query it with my teachers on Monday (you've got a high rep so you're probably right) - thank you for your help!
    I'm a native speaker

Why were you told to avoid the gerund? :confused:. It's a perfectly legitimate tense that is used extensively in Spanish speaking countries..

ReputationRep:
    I'm a native speaker

Why were you told to avoid the gerund? :confused:. It's a perfectly legitimate tense that is used extensively in Spanish speaking countries..
    Great that's good to know! Yeah we were only taught it very recently so that we avoid using it. Do you use it as much as we do in English?

ReputationRep:
    Great that's good to know! Yeah we were only taught it very recently so that we avoid using it. Do you use it as much as we do in English?
    That's very odd, there's nothing at all wrong about using the gerund. And yep, I'd say it's used just as much.

ReputationRep:
    That's very odd, there's nothing at all wrong about using the gerund. And yep, I'd say it's used just as much.
    Well this is news to me! I'll bring it up with my teachers next week (neither of them are native speakers so it's your word against theirs) although I don't know if it's British exam boards are who are saying it shouldn't be used as this would explain why we're being taught this way

ReputationRep:
    Well this is news to me! I'll bring it up with my teachers next week (neither of them are native speakers so it's your word against theirs) although I don't know if it's British exam boards are who are saying it shouldn't be used as this would explain why we're being taught this way
    It's definitely used a lot. Any book in Spanish and TV show will prove it's true and I'm sure typing it into Google will also confirm it. I had an inkling your teachers wouldn't be native speakers because natives would have no reason to discourage learners from using it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely used a lot. Any book in Spanish and TV show will prove it's true and I'm sure typing it into Google will also confirm it. I had an inkling your teachers wouldn't be native speakers because natives would have no reason to discourage learners from using it :lol:
    I wouldn't necessarily trust Google translate (my teachers are definitely right about that one) but I do watch a bit of Spanish TV and I had noticed it used, although not extensively enough to make me question it. Is there anything else I should know about the Spanish language that I won't have been taught in the five years I've been studying it.......

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't necessarily trust Google translate (my teachers are definitely right about that one) but I do watch a bit of Spanish TV and I had noticed it used, although not extensively enough to make me question it. Is there anything else I should know about the Spanish language that I won't have been taught in the five years I've been studying it.......
    I didn't say Google Translate, I said Google, which can give examples of vocabulary and grammatical structures

Well it's used all the time, just like the subjunctive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbowcorn)
    *havent read above comments so might be saying the same thing but
    GCSE and a level spanish is a lot different, (naturally, as you progress in the language) I got an A in gcse (with full marks on speaking) and this year (as) i got a D which obviously im not happy with and redoing next year. It is a lot harder, and whereas in gcse you could pass it with knowing 20 words, in a level you have to work extremely hard and practice a lot! It is very hard but very fun and as you go on in the year it gets easier (you get better at language) which is unlike the other subjects
    Thanks for your advice xx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the time limit is the worst part of it but it's something you can overcome with practice

I thought they would!! I miss those days actually all we did in our first Spanish A2 lesson today was talk in English for the entire hour.......

Oh baseline tests are great fun, especially if they don't warn you! I had one of those in chem this year and I have defo done awfully - my excuse is it was the same day as my UKCAT and I was stressing let me know how your result is!! I'm sure it's great - if not then who cares, you can astound them with your amazing improvement during the year

Yr13 doesn't seem too bad yet - ask me in a week and I'll probably have a very different answer lol
    Very true.

Awh haha, I'll take great appreciation of them now then just for you ;D. Oh wow hahaha.

Ikr, if I done crap it'll just (hopefully) show how much I've improved throughout the year .

Ditto about year 12 omg. It doesn't seem all that bad now but I can tell that teachers are 'easing us in' so they don't scare us loool.

ReputationRep:
    Very true.

Awh haha, I'll take great appreciation of them now then just for you ;D. Oh wow hahaha.

Ikr, if I done crap it'll just (hopefully) show how much I've improved throughout the year .

Ditto about year 12 omg. It doesn't seem all that bad now but I can tell that teachers are 'easing us in' so they don't scare us loool.
    Do!! Well it could be worse, my teacher basically turned round to me today and asked me why I was doing maths A level admittedly it was because I had been chatting for the whole hour and hadn't got my work done lol but still :'

Yeah they do ease you in! I've just not had that many lessons this week because my timetable's weird so next week I will have died (we have a two week timetable) also are you doing EPQ??

ReputationRep:
    Do!! Well it could be worse, my teacher basically turned round to me today and asked me why I was doing maths A level admittedly it was because I had been chatting for the whole hour and hadn't got my work done lol but still :'

Yeah they do ease you in! I've just not had that many lessons this week because my timetable's weird so next week I will have died (we have a two week timetable) also are you doing EPQ??
    OOay rude!!! Didn't you get an A as well!?!?! Ahh so what, it's only the 2nd day back (for me anyway).

I have a two week timetable as well! Our schools seem veeeery similar...

My year 11 form teacher did say that we would be doing one although I have no idea what it is...?

ReputationRep:
    OOay rude!!! Didn't you get an A as well!?!?! Ahh so what, it's only the 2nd day back (for me anyway).

I have a two week timetable as well! Our schools seem veeeery similar...

My year 11 form teacher did say that we would be doing one although I have no idea what it is...?
    Yeah I did lol, apparently not good enough yeah it's going to continue like that for the rest of the year so she may as well get used to it!

Where do you go to school? I don't think it's mine since we don't have form tutors by year group, we have this vertical thing which is a bit weird... EPQ is utter horror but it looks good for medicine! It's an extended project qualification, you basically write 5000 words on whatever you want which is both good and bad. I'm still doing mine so if school hasn't told you about it yet then you're probably waiting a bit

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did lol, apparently not good enough yeah it's going to continue like that for the rest of the year so she may as well get used to it!

Where do you go to school? I don't think it's mine since we don't have form tutors by year group, we have this vertical thing which is a bit weird... EPQ is utter horror but it looks good for medicine! It's an extended project qualification, you basically write 5000 words on whatever you want which is both good and bad. I'm still doing mine so if school hasn't told you about it yet then you're probably waiting a bit
    Hahahaha.

I go to sixth form in liverpool but listening to that it sounds that like we don't go to the same school . I'm glad we're not starting the EPQ now because I really need time to get into the flow of a-levels. Starting the feel the toll now and It's only been 3 days lol.

Have you by any chance got any good resources you used for bio, chem and maths?? Just in general?? Like websites / textbooks??

ReputationRep:

you're so inspirational

ReputationRep:
    Hi i can help you with your Spanish i native my id skype carlos.ulate87 if you want learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlos.ulate87)
    Hi i can help you with your Spanish i native my id skype carlos.ulate87 if you want learn.
    Yes please

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.