Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student account with barclays- need some help Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't check for an overdraft like that as banks often charge for an unarranged overdraft. That said, read the T&Cs for your student account as it's not that long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessicafrances13)
    My student account was with Barclays, I had to ask uni for a confirmation letter because they need to know you're definitely going to the uni before they give you a student account. It might be worth asking the uni. Barclays have been nothing but good with my student account and my normal account. They just need to know you are actually going there

Just read your update, my overdraft was added automatically at £200, then after a while I asked for it to go up and they took it up to £500 and then after a year I think it is it goes up again to £1200 or something like that
    hmm thanks for the Info, from what i can tell im 99% sure i have gained nothing from turning my current account into a student account. And i didnt gain anything from turning my young person account into a current account, which auto happened. So basically i still have a young person account really.
    anyways i dont have a an overdraft at all, how long did it take to get the £200 overdraft ? and when did you ask for it to be upped to £500; how long after opening , would it look bad if i ask for it to be upped to £500 straight away ? or should i wait ... I just wanna get this all sorted before i head out to uni really. i thought i get an auto £500 fee-free overdraft, which looked great, but ive realized i read it wrong, i can get up to £500, but i think i have to ask for it, and im not sure why theyll give someone £500 overdraft when first opening/convertign a Student account, even though they say they would/can.

Im gonna call up tomorrow, praying to god that i don't have to go in branch again ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    hmm thanks for the Info, from what i can tell im 99% sure i have gained nothing from turning my current account into a student account. And i didnt gain anything from turning my young person account into a current account, which auto happened. So basically i still have a young person account really.
    anyways i dont have a an overdraft at all, how long did it take to get the £200 overdraft ? and when did you ask for it to be upped to £500; how long after opening , would it look bad if i ask for it to be upped to £500 straight away ? or should i wait ... I just wanna get this all sorted before i head out to uni really. i thought i get an auto £500 fee-free overdraft, which looked great, but ive realized i read it wrong, i can get up to £500, but i think i have to ask for it, and im not sure why theyll give someone £500 overdraft when first opening/convertign a Student account, even though they say they would/can.

Im gonna call up tomorrow, praying to god that i don't have to go in branch again ...
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to have the £200 limit for a while and then request it to go higher. I went into the branch after about 3 months and then they said I had to call this number and answer some questions ( which is free if you call from their phone in the branch) and basically they ask you what money goes in and out of the account and stuff and then accept it and it goes to £500. And then after your first year you can do the same and it goes up to about 1 or 2 thousand but I never did that. I'm sure mine was put on at £200 straight away without me doing anything so if it's not there id definitely give them a ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessicafrances13)
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to have the £200 limit for a while and then request it to go higher. I went into the branch after about 3 months and then they said I had to call this number and answer some questions ( which is free if you call from their phone in the branch) and basically they ask you what money goes in and out of the account and stuff and then accept it and it goes to £500. And then after your first year you can do the same and it goes up to about 1 or 2 thousand but I never did that. I'm sure mine was put on at £200 straight away without me doing anything so if it's not there id definitely give them a ring.
    Hmm will do, i might just do the same and ask for the £500 later.

Thanks for the info and help, was really useful to get some info from another barclays account holder.

ReputationRep:
    Just to update,
    I asked about my overdraft and they said i dont have it since i need to update my ID, since it hasnt been updated in almost 3 years. I was told i only need to bring my passport but i bought the letters i had yesterday. When i went in branch i was told barclays dont accept their own bank statments ? been with them almosy 3 years, even though im young, i must have put £20k easy into my account over that time, and now that i need them to do something for me, theyre faffing about ..... i told them i was told i only need to bring my passport and they said the ID updates happen with both. I went home and found a HMS NI letter , from when i started my part time job years ago, and some letters i had from work and phoned up to ask if it ws valid as the NI letter 11 days out of the within a year time and there was no info on letters from work.
    The women i spoke to said once again i only need my passport and i told her thats not right and she went on to explain how my passport should have my address, and this is why you don't outsource to india... since they keep messing everything up and giving wrong info. since my local brach is a few mins away and i was heading out anyways, i went in and they said they wont accept the HMS letter or work letters..
    so now im going to bring my mum in to prove my address, even though i gave them 8 letters with my address, though i can understand why they didnt accept them. I was told on phone itll be okay to bring my mum in and prove my address, but knowing the people in the call centers who knows, i was also told they dont have appointments until november ...even though i went into my local branch and talked ot a personal banker 3 times without one, im also pretty sure the next one was in 2 days in branch . so im gonna try and walk in tomorrow early or book one, since the branch is less than 10 mins way ...

Not sure what to make of this, barclays really need to hire UK call centres since the indians ones keep screwing me over... so far 8-9 hours in and i still dont have my student account fully up, on the up side, ive learnt a lot about banking, which will help me later.

ReputationRep:
    Just to update,
    I asked about my overdraft and they said i dont have it since i need to update my ID, since it hasnt been updated in almost 3 years. I was told i only need to bring my passport but i bought the letters i had yesterday. When i went in branch i was told barclays dont accept their own bank statments ? been with them almosy 3 years, even though im young, i must have put £20k easy into my account over that time, and now that i need them to do something for me, theyre faffing about ..... i told them i was told i only need to bring my passport and they said the ID updates happen with both. I went home and found a HMS NI letter , from when i started my part time job years ago, and some letters i had from work and phoned up to ask if it ws valid as the NI letter 11 days out of the within a year time and there was no info on letters from work.
    The women i spoke to said once again i only need my passport and i told her thats not right and she went on to explain how my passport should have my address, and this is why you don't outsource to india... since they keep messing everything up and giving wrong info. since my local brach is a few mins away and i was heading out anyways, i went in and they said they wont accept the HMS letter or work letters..
    so now im going to bring my mum in to prove my address, even though i gave them 8 letters with my address, though i can understand why they didnt accept them. I was told on phone itll be okay to bring my mum in and prove my address, but knowing the people in the call centers who knows, i was also told they dont have appointments until november ...even though i went into my local branch and talked ot a personal banker 3 times without one, im also pretty sure the next one was in 2 days in branch . so im gonna try and walk in tomorrow early or book one, since the branch is less than 10 mins way ...

Not sure what to make of this, barclays really need to hire UK call centres since the indians ones keep screwing me over... so far 8-9 hours in and i still dont have my student account fully up, on the up side, ive learnt a lot about banking, which will help me later.
    If you are so desperate for an overdraft, have you tried opening an account with capital one or marbles? They both do basic credit cards with small overdrafts, for pretty much any uk resident. All you have to do is provide three years of addresses and that is about it. Plus they also both do pre-application credit checkers, so you can see the likelihood of being accepted for a credit account, before you actually apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    If you are so desperate for an overdraft, have you tried opening an account with capital one or marbles? They both do basic credit cards with small overdrafts, for pretty much any uk resident. All you have to do is provide three years of addresses and that is about it. Plus they also both do pre-application credit checkers, so you can see the likelihood of being accepted for a credit account, before you actually apply?
    not really desperate to be honest, I've worked part time for almost 2 years and saved £1200 over that time, for no real reason, Im also gonna get my last pay slip, a week after i start UNI at 31 Sep, so the overdraft isnt something i really need . I just want it done, Imagine going through the hassle i went through now in UNI ... trying to get everything i can sorted before UNI, to be prepared since im a lazy unorganized person. either way im good with when ever it opens, its just annoying its taken so much hassle to do something i thought would take 10 mins, but like i said i have learnt a lot in this hassle. I maybe should have just opened it after i went to uni, but i read that getting a overdraft before UNI starts is a must have and i thought i was a very easy process... but right now im wondering how anyone even got one before they entered UNI with all the checks and process needed to get the overdraft, with many needing you to be in the UNI. I don't have anythign agaisnt the checks since anyone can claim theyre going uni/scam the banks and get £200-500 from barclays and never pay them back.

Im now 8 hours plus deep into this and wanna get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    not really desperate to be honest, I've worked part time for almost 2 years and saved £1200 over that time, for no real reason, Im also gonna get my last pay slip, a week after i start UNI at 31 Sep, so the overdraft isnt something i really need . I just want it done, Imagine going through the hassle i went through now in UNI ... trying to get everything i can sorted before UNI, to be prepared since im a lazy unorganized person. either way im good with when ever it opens, its just annoying its taken so much hassle to do something i thought would take 10 mins, but like i said i have learnt a lot in this hassle. I maybe should have just opened it after i went to uni, but i read that getting a overdraft before UNI starts is a must have and i thought i was a very easy process... but right now im wondering how anyone even got one before they entered UNI with all the checks and process needed to get the overdraft, with many needing you to be in the UNI. I don't have anythign agaisnt the checks since anyone can claim theyre going uni/scam the banks and get £200-500 from barclays and never pay them back.

Im now 8 hours plus deep into this and wanna get it sorted.
    Some of the high street banks can be difficult like this, if i remember correctly. I also had some problems with the co-op, before i finally managed to open a student account with them 2 years ago. Whatever you do, don't keep on putting credit applications in, because that is a sure fire way to watch your credit score drop like a rocket! You can get your credit score done for free with experian, equifax and noddle you know, if you want to see where you currently stand with regards to that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Some of the high street banks can be difficult like this, if i remember correctly. I also had some problems with the co-op, before i finally managed to open a student account with them 2 years ago. Whatever you do, don't keep on putting credit applications in, because that is a sure fire way to watch your credit score drop like a rocket! You can get your credit score done for free with experian, equifax and noddle you know, if you want to see where you currently stand with regards to that?
    Thanks for all the Info and help. Im pretty sure i havent been credit checked or anything yet. I think im still to young to really have a solid credit score .
    Honestly everywhere i look, they claim barclays is easy as hell to open an account and student account with. it being the bank used very much by scammers due to how easy it is to open and use account with very little proff. I guess theyve cracked down now.
    what i find funny and cant even believe is they don't even accept their own statements but were happy to take one from another bank... theyve sent statements to my house for almost 3 years and now theyre telling me they cant accept them for proff of address ...

ReputationRep:
    I had never had a bank account at all before I opened my student account up. Yet Santander gave me the full £1500. I think it was £500 immediately, and then up to £1500 as soon as I'd put in £500. I think I brought my UCAS letter, student finance letter, and my passport and they'd made me an account within about 30 minutes. Never had any problems with them, got my railcard easily, contactless card, chequebook....it was super easy o_O no idea why you're having such a hard time with your bank when you've already been a customer with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    I had never had a bank account at all before I opened my student account up. Yet Santander gave me the full £1500. I think it was £500 immediately, and then up to £1500 as soon as I'd put in £500. I think I brought my UCAS letter, student finance letter, and my passport and they'd made me an account within about 30 minutes. Never had any problems with them, got my railcard easily, contactless card, chequebook....it was super easy o_O no idea why you're having such a hard time with your bank when you've already been a customer with them!
    i keep hearing stories like this. My friends opened their account within a few mins at HSBC and santander; weeks ago. Both didn't appeal to me really. Since barclays matched them or offered better stuff; i also dont really need the freebies/ have no use for them, and no one can deny that barclays mobile and online services aren't great. though im sure i will never overdraft to the 3k limit barclays allowed in the 2/3 year; so its not like their account is anything too great for me ... also being with the bank for a while, i was expecting a much easier process.. i really should have gone to another bank in hindsight.... looks like the money and my time with them means nothing. I'm sure this will be sorted soon, both me and barclays have played out part in this .. and overal barclays is a good bank and in my time being with them, the services they offer are just great.

I think the major problem is, barclays made it way to easy to open and use accounts before, making is one of the most used banks for scammers and money launderers, thanks to them, like always everyone else has to pay .

ReputationRep:
    i keep hearing stories like this. My friends opened their account within a few mins at HSBC and santander; weeks ago. Both didn't appeal to me really. Since barclays matched them or offered better stuff; i also dont really need the freebies/ have no use for them, and no one can deny that barclays mobile and online services aren't great. though im sure i will never overdraft to the 3k limit barclays allowed in the 2/3 year; so its not like their account is anything too great for me ... also being with the bank for a while, i was expecting a much easier process.. i really should have gone to another bank in hindsight.... looks like the money and my time with them means nothing. I'm sure this will be sorted soon, both me and barclays have played out part in this .. and overal barclays is a good bank and in my time being with them, the services they offer are just great.

I think the major problem is, barclays made it way to easy to open and use accounts before, making is one of the most used banks for scammers and money launderers, thanks to them, like always everyone else has to pay .
    don't be tempted by the '3k overdraft' very very few people actually end up getting that much. it's all subject to credit score and stuff. Where-as the santander 1.5k is almost guaranteed. They also offer better interest on any balance in the account, have 'offers' which can get you 5-12% cash back at certain places (i currently have a 5% cashback at morrisons. Also got the railcard, haven't used it, but its a nice thing to have I guess

ReputationRep:
    Barclays is just a wrong bank; I am happily switching from them. Being two years at uni with a good credit rating and student overdraft of £700 is a joke!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.