iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S6?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Would get the iPhone if you can find a 32GB one or above

Android is too fragmented now and planned obsolescence is getting to be an issue.

With the iPhone you at least get updates for 4 odd years and the iPhone 6 is more than powerful enough for more than that. Ffs the iPhone 5C is in line for the next iOS version.

If you want an Android phone wait till next month when they released the Nexus phones, they'll be in your budget range.

Is worth noting that although official planned obsolescence is an issue, if you have slight technical skills you can install custom firmware to keep your phone going for a long while after official support has ended That's only for Android though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Federerr)
    Alright thanks

You've helped a lot!
    Anytime

ReputationRep:
    I've had both iOS and Android but I really prefer android as it's much more customisable. iOS is too restrictive. The only thing I miss about iOS is imessage, but I think Apple will bring it to Android in the future.

The camera on my Galaxy S6 is phenomenal and beats even the iPhone 6S+ any day. It charges super fast (1.5 hours for a full charge), supports wireless charge and NFC. The screen is amazing and still amazes m. Battery life is a bit disappointing but fast charge & wireless charge makes up for it

P.S. The galaxy S6 comes in 32gb as standard so there is no need to worry about running out of space

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Would get the iPhone if you can find a 32GB one or above

Android is too fragmented now and planned obsolescence is getting to be an issue.

With the iPhone you at least get updates for 4 odd years and the iPhone 6 is more than powerful enough for more than that. Ffs the iPhone 5C is in line for the next iOS version.

If you want an Android phone wait till next month when they released the Nexus phones, they'll be in your budget range.

Is worth noting that although official planned obsolescence is an issue, if you have slight technical skills you can install custom firmware to keep your phone going for a long while after official support has ended That's only for Android though.
    Galaxy S6 is 32gb minimum and can be expanded. Android will never die as fans will always bring upgrades to it even if Google do drop the bomb.

ReputationRep:
    Likewise, I'm not really into iPhone. The layout is kinda the same and imo I find it boring. I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 I would say its pretty good and fast ish. I heard that the iPhone 6 is slightly faster tho.

ReputationRep:
    Once an apple boy always an apple boy. Iphone6!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasnia'x)
    Likewise, I'm not really into iPhone. The layout is kinda the same and imo I find it boring. I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 I would say its pretty good and fast ish. I heard that the iPhone 6 is slightly faster tho.
    Acha go mai. Ami boooochi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junayd1998)
    Once an apple boy always an apple boy. Iphone6!!!
    That was once my motive as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iHammmy)
    Galaxy S6 is 32gb minimum and can be expanded. Android will never die as fans will always bring upgrades to it even if Google do drop the bomb.
    Nope, the S6 does not have a microSD card slot. The Galaxy S7, however, does - so I'd get the Galaxy S7 if I could afford it (out of Apple and Samsung).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Nope, the S6 does not have a microSD card slot. The Galaxy S7, however, does - so I'd get the Galaxy S7 if I could afford it (out of Apple and Samsung).
    I'm not much of a storage guy don't really need that much.

However if there are any significantly important improvements in the S7 that you know please do let me know. Important enough for me wanting to spend another £150 to get the S7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    It allows for expandable storage over microUSB.

Link here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iHammmy)
    It allows for expandable storage over microUSB.

Link here
    Thanks for letting me know, though quite a lot of Androids (including the S7, plus most of the other Android flagships) have microSD card slots. And I haven't ever seen anyone use a big microUSB adaptor before!

Plus the Galaxy S7 is waterproof, unlike the S6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Federerr)
    Idk i'll look into it.

In my opinions for the amount of money im gonna need to pay extra for the S7 isn't really worth it. Nothing is really improved other than waterproofing which I don't really need since idk my phone is never really near water.
    Ah well :/

There are some other great phones out there, check out some guy called Flossy Carter on youtube, he does some good reviews of phones.

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer - I'm not too knowledgeable about mobile phones, but I saw this post and thought I'll have my say on this topic.
    I'm pretty much in the same position as you, I'm going to get rid of my iPhone 5C. I'm thinking of getting an S6 because it rivals the iPhone 6 and 6s (according to some sources online). I will probably get the S6 because of my budget and the iPhone 6 is going to be outdated after a year and a half. The recent IOS updates are killing my iPhone 5, and it will be the same for the iPhone 6 after iPhone 8 comes out. I'd rather have a phone that'll last me 2-3 years and I think it'll take longer for the S6 to die as easily than it wouldfor an iPhone 6 (just my opinion).You can get the S7, I admit the expandable memory is a big plus, but if you are use to not having the availability of having more memory (being an iPhone user) I don't think it would make a big change to your life. You also have so much more freedom on android.
    Pardon any grammar mistakes.ʈ����s

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.