Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post your favourite quotes by Mother Teresa ❤️ Watch

ReputationRep:
    Took money from evil dictators and Robert Maxwell, secretly baptised muslims and hindus when they were on the brink of death, she didn't care about the poor and said that they should endure and be thankful for their suffering- she spent the donations given to her on convents, not to help the poor. Her hospices and hospitals were not even remotely sufficient to cure anyone and none of the nurses and staff knew anything about diseases and did not even separate the patients from each other. You Catholics and your so called 'saints' , you venerate 'saints' like Thomas More, who killed people for owning a bible in English.

R.I.P CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS

ReputationRep:
    "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yup. She actually said this.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think she was a great person. She brought so many people closer to God and campaigned for the rights of the unborn child. While I am a Protestant and not a Catholic, I can see why she is admired by Christians across many denominations for her care and love for poor and marginalised people.

"Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."
    -Mother Teresa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yup. She actually said this.
    That is actually true though. It is better to live with what you got and be satisfied with it. Money can buy loads of things but it can't buy love and happiness! For the rich to go to heaven is like a camel going through the eye of a needle as Jesus said in Marks gospel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreatSuccess24)
    IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY PLEASE DONT COMMENT AND WASTE YOUR TIME. Go waste your time somewhere else or get on with your life! PLEASE RESPECT CATHOLICS AND THE SERVANTS OF GOD LIKE BLESSED MOTHER TERESA. SHE WILL BE CANONISED AS A SAINT TOMORROW AND IT IS A WONDERFUL OCCASION FOR US CATHOLICS!! She is a great role model for many and she deserves the title of a saint because she is a LIVING SAINT!
    People pointing out that she was a very flawed individual rather than buying into her hagiographic myth have a lot to say and I see no reason why they shouldn't comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatehannah)
    Took money from evil dictators and Robert Maxwell, secretly baptised muslims and hindus when they were on the brink of death, she didn't care about the poor and said that they should endure and be thankful for their suffering- she spent the donations given to her on convents, not to help the poor. Her hospices and hospitals were not even remotely sufficient to cure anyone and none of the nurses and staff knew anything about diseases and did not even separate the patients from each other. You Catholics and your so called 'saints' , you venerate 'saints' like Thomas More, who killed people for owning a bible in English.

R.I.P CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS
    They converted because they found their true faith, they got called to God. She did care about the poor. She cared for the poorest of the poor and thats why she is a saint. If you or me were to do the same things as she did you wouldn't or I wouldn't do it as mother does with such care and love. Thats whats makes her so special and a role model for millions around the world. You would back off because you think its dirty work because the children may have contagious diseases or infections etc. But Mother treats all people equally whether they are rich or poor. Many people do endure in their suffering but they will have a joyous kingdom to enjoy in Heaven because they have joined in the passion of our lord Jesus Christ. The donations were used to set up other convents around the world and now the missionaries of charity has centres in over 130 countries with more than 5000 sisters. This was essential because there are many other poor people in the world and the first center opened outside of India was in Venezuela in 1965 then to Africa, Europe, Australia, America etc. She set up the missionaries of charity in 1950 along with 12 sisters and at the time there was no facilities for treatment therefore it would have been hard to separate the patients from one another but after a few years lots of people supported the organisation financially so the conditions improved rapidly. You say none of the nurses don't know anything. But here in Britain surgeons used to operate on people with them wide awake (anaesthetics were not discovered at this period) and cut their legs using saws which was about 70 - 80 yrs before Mother Teresa's birth. I guess people wouldn't have been able to know about disease or bacteria hadn't it been for Van Leeuwenhoek (but he is Dutch) and Louis Pasteur (he is French) and Joseph Lister (finally a brit). You say they dont have any knowledge, well here in Britain nurses didn't have any degree and in 2013 the NHS decided that degrees are compulsory whereas in India to become a nurse you need to pass 12th standard (yr 13 here) with top grades (nursing in India is kind of like applying for a competitive course like medicine here). Then you have to pass with Distinction or merit at State level (county level). I've heard about Thomas More but I don't focus on 'British' saints as much as saints from the rest of the world so I don't really care. Sorry for this being rather too long but I just wanted to defend Mother Teresa, defend my country and my beliefs. I hope you have a pleasant evening my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    People pointing out that she was a very flawed individual rather than buying into her hagiographic myth have a lot to say and I see no reason why they shouldn't comment.
    Hey read my reply to ihatehannah
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by GreatSuccess24)
    This is a good quote
    That’s ****ing dumb, poverty is a humanitarian crisis.
    Here’s mine:
    “My pussy’s so old it’s ****ing haunted"

ReputationRep:
    Deluded religious people here ITT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Deluded religious people
    I.e. Catholics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.