Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fuzz13)
    Hey! Firstly, well done on those results because they are amazing!
    I'm a year behind you (just started Year 12) and I also suffer with CFS but still am hoping to apply to a top university like Oxbridge. Good luck with all the application process and stuff and could you let me know how it all goes and how it impacts you? I don't know if it would be too much to cope with (even though I'm still a year away from even applying!)... Did you mention anything in your PS about it? Also hope you don't mind me asking but where abouts are you on the FSA?

Really good luck with everything!! :cute::^_^:
    Aw thanks so much!!

Well, the main thing I want to say to you is never give up. I've missed so much school that it's a little bit of a miracle I am where I am now. But if it wasn't for me working my butt off in multiple ways, I know I would probably still be lying in a hospital bed, or would have completely failed my GCSEs. I missed lots of school and spent my free time catching up in Year 11, I could've easily have refused to do any of it and settled with the bare minnimum. Granted, I don't think I did amazing, but I know those B's would've been A*s if my situation was different. So yes, always have faith in yourself, and don't give up. As cheesy as it sounds, I think it's true. I might not get into Oxbridge, but I feel grateful to be able to entertain the thought until facing reality in November.

I'll keep you updated for definite! Feel free to PM me anytime, okay?

My adivce would be not to mention any medical-related issues in your Personal Statement, but to make sure it's included in your teacher references and to also submit an extentuating circumstances form.

The process is stressful, but it's nice to have extra attention paid to your application as it's before the rest of the college must finalise their applications.

Sorry if this is stupid, what is the FCA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Aw thanks so much!!

Well, the main thing I want to say to you is never give up. I've missed so much school that it's a little bit of a miracle I am where I am now. But if it wasn't for me working my butt off in multiple ways, I know I would probably still be lying in a hospital bed, or would have completely failed my GCSEs. I missed lots of school and spent my free time catching up in Year 11, I could've easily have refused to do any of it and settled with the bare minnimum. Granted, I don't think I did amazing, but I know those B's would've been A*s if my situation was different. So yes, always have faith in yourself, and don't give up. As cheesy as it sounds, I think it's true. I might not get into Oxbridge, but I feel grateful to be able to entertain the thought until facing reality in November.

I'll keep you updated for definite! Feel free to PM me anytime, okay?

My adivce would be not to mention any medical-related issues in your Personal Statement, but to make sure it's included in your teacher references and to also submit an extentuating circumstances form.

The process is stressful, but it's nice to have extra attention paid to your application as it's before the rest of the college must finalise their applications.

Sorry if this is stupid, what is the FCA?
    That's great, thank you!

The FAS (sorry I wrote it wrong the first time!) is the Functional Ability Scale, just a way of measuring how able you are to do things. I'll PM you a link if you like?! If we all use this measurement it makes it easier to know where people are!

ReputationRep:
    You should get to interview stage - they interview the vast majority of people. Don't worry about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fuzz13)
    That's great, thank you!

The FAS (sorry I wrote it wrong the first time!) is the Functional Ability Scale, just a way of measuring how able you are to do things. I'll PM you a link if you like?! If we all use this measurement it makes it easier to know where people are!
    Oh nice one! I've never heard about that, actually. I'd love a link to it please! Do I answer according to how I function on a 'good' day or on a 'bad' day?

(Original post by Zacken)
    You should get to interview stage - they interview the vast majority of people. Don't worry about it.
    Thanks Zacken! I want an interview so if I get a rejection, I know that they saw me for who I was beyond a piece of paper that has been scarred by circumstances beyond my control. Maybe I could even impress them... (who knows )

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ayme.org.uk/documents/10228/11022/FUNCTIONAL%20ABILITY%20SCALE.pdf Here you go! That's a difficult one! It's kind of on an average day - if there's such thing! Just go with your instinct when you see the options! I'm hovering between two at the minute, but it's just a rough estimate.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    God, I'm so bad at updating this. I work so late into the night sometimes that updating this completely by-passes my to-do list.

15th September 2016

This week I've been focussing on making sure I feel comfortable enough in the first few early weeks, so I can move ahead with confidence. I have had some 'progress trackers' in English Literature and English Language this week (my History progress tracker was early last week). I'm not planning to excel in them as I felt as if I needed to relax myself so I don't stress out too much if I underperform. They don't count towards anything either, it's just to see where we're at. I'm planning to excel in the others throughout the year, but considering I've barely been doing these new courses for two weeks, I'm not expecting to do amazingly. (Don't judge me when I post my progress tracker grades, I've been doing A2 courses for two weeks, not two months).

I also found out my predicted grades today, so no more guesswork:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    History - A*
    English Language - A*
    English Literature - A
    I'm pretty proud of these predicted grades, and very much satisfied.

Anyway, I'm hungry so I'm off to fix myself a bowl of cereal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So I kind of started again because for whatever reason I just did (and I will actually update this one)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4400332

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.