Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do women feel the need to show cleavage/legs in the workplace Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    when i worked at a retail job, the girls and females that worked with me, younger ones mainly ones under 30, used to come in like models, full make up and with the best clothes they could, were as i came in looking like a tramp; i mean they cant fire me for looking like one, plus i hated the job.. I get its both our choices to come in how we want, but when we have to change into a uniform, i dont see a point of coming in with expensive clothes, also i dont see why they really bother to put a ton of make up on, which could take a few good mins, to come in to work at a crappy retail store. Some of them also looked so much better with no make up, i dont see the point of wearing a ton of make up to change teh shape of your face, make your face shiny as **** and making your lips larger, when you look good, even great without it all.

Anyways if i'm gonna be honest, its either they want attention or are insecure of how they look, speaking to a few of them that pretty much seems the case. I used to talk to this girl at work, and she would always try and make her lips look larger than they were for some reason, i could never understand why, she had normal lips, and when she would make them try to look larger, she looked like a fish or retarded.. she also complained about her nose, even though there was nothing wrong with it, i mean if you saw her the thing not even the last thing you would think would be her nose looks weird ..... she was a solid 8/10, but she made it seem like is was fugly, why women think like that i have no idea ...

If you work in a retail job, I'm not being funny but it's your duty to look reasonable, to take care of your appearance and not dress like a tramp. You are representing the brand, if I went into a shop and their customer assistants looked like tramps it would turn me off.

ReputationRep:
    @ your first question, there is stigma because it's borderline objectification. while people are free to admire aesthetics of another person, it's in a workplace not a magazine in a teenage boy's bedroom. they continue to wear this because the least they expect of other people is not to ogle in a professional place. also because they want to.

if a man (or woman for that matter) thinks that a woman showing cleavage/legs is to gain power over them by distracting them, they're the unprofessional ones. it doesn't take much to break your gaze away from a pair of tits especially in a place where women seek respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    If you work in a retail job, I'm not being funny but it's your duty to look reasonable, to take care of your appearance and not dress like a tramp. You are representing the brand, if I went into a shop and their customer assistants looked like tramps it would turn me off.
    I get what you’re saying for sure, i would agree with you and think the company liked the fact that people made a ton of effort for sure. Buy honestly no one cares how you look, at a low end retail store and putting on a ton of make up only makes you look weird, i would try and explain how they over did it, but i don’t know much about make up. Their faces would be very shiny, fake eyelashes ect ect and they just looked fake and looked like they put a ton of unneeded effort into it. I also don’t get why they bothered to were expensive cloths when we had to change into uniforms, some people came in with uniforms, so what they did was come in with £300 cloths only to change once there in the store into a cheap uniforms ... I personally came in clean and looked decent, I shaved when I had work and make sure I looked approachable for sure, but I think most the women under 30 were I worked put way too much effort into how they looked, for such a crap job.

Also in crappy retails stores the customers are pigs and the way they act is much more disgusting than anyone could ever look. There were days I would go unshaven and looked like a mess and I had more people come up to me and ask me for help than anyone else, I’ve noticed this a lot, when I come in looking worse for wear, I get asked for help much more than usual, I guess if you look like ****, people feel more happy to approach you. Lastly we're picking up cloths and mess people make, you don’t need to look good to do that, in some cases its not even out job to help people but clean things, so why bother looking so good.

inaddtion like the OP mentioned, I found it a little awkward talking to some of the female staff when they were wearing pretty low cut cloths, I don’t have a problem with it; to be honest as a guy I probably enjoyed it, but when a shorter girl approaches you and is 30 cm away from you.. it’s hard to talk to them, when you have nothing to stare. If you stare into their eyes its creepy, you cant look down or your looking at their boobes, you cant look at your feet or away from them or you look weird, its just uncomfortable and I don’t know what females expect men to do in that situation, once again I don’t think they should cover up or anything, im just saying its hard to be a ‘’gentlemen’’ when you have nothing to look out, without looking creepy. Also some of the females looked great on their own, I don’t mean that as a everybody look great love yourself blah blah blah, I mean some of the females were solid 7-8/ 10’s and the make up and extra effort just made them look worse or took away any nie unique features they had, so the make up was helped them look good but the opposite imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradesUnlocked)
    Who gets called a lesbian or a prude? 😂
    Speak to a woman that works in any sector that requires business dress and not a uniform:
    If we wear clothing that is long or completely covers up, words like prude, manly, butch, lesbian, etc. get tossed around.
    If you wear anything more revealing you get OP and the crew out: slut, provocative, not appropriate, show off.

It's very hard to find a middle ground because there's always someone complaining. With blokes, the work attire usually centres around actual appearance - there's always the debates about tie colour, shoe colour, trouser leg length, etc. With women people rarely actually make the comment about the clothing itself (unless, you know, it's women and we're talking about how green was so last season) and instead you get these words tossed around that actually cast aspersions about the character - slut, bossy, prude, etc.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Don Joiner)
    Despite there being so much stigma around men looking at cleavage/legs, why do women still wear tops that are very low cut or skirts that show so much leg?

It's like imagine if a man came into the office wearing a vest and shorts because he wanted to show off his arms and his well built legs, that would be wholly inappropriate but for women it's completely okay.

Do they do it to gain power over men? In that they know that if the man is distracted by cleavage etc he might be easier to persuade/control?

I don't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Legs are quite important.
    Nothing stopping you wearing a skir and showing off your legs with complementary cleavage. You can use your power over women, then.

You have very odd views.

Because women like to look good and feel attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Despite there being so much stigma around men looking at cleavage/legs, why do women still wear tops that are very low cut or skirts that show so much leg?

It's like imagine if a man came into the office wearing a vest and shorts because he wanted to show off his arms and his well built legs, that would be wholly inappropriate but for women it's completely okay.

Do they do it to gain power over men? In that they know that if the man is distracted by cleavage etc he might be easier to persuade/control?

I don't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are some women who obviously dress for male attention in the office and this can be for a range of purposes. Sometimes it's to gain popularity, sometimes it's to keep a job under a male boss (no pun intended) if they feel that their ability will not be enough or that it just generally adds to how much their boss likes them on top of their abilities (no pun intended). Sometimes, very often I think it's because women are bored in menial office jobs and dressing up makes it a bit more bearable. I'm referring to outfits that involve maybe an inappropriate amount of leg and cleavage. Just above the knee skirts are fine as long as they're smart, some women are busty and naturally have cleavage if they are wearing anything other that a roll neck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky.m)
    @ your first question, there is stigma because it's borderline objectification. while people are free to admire aesthetics of another person, it's in a workplace not a magazine in a teenage boy's bedroom. they continue to wear this because the least they expect of other people is not to ogle in a professional place. also because they want to.

if a man (or woman for that matter) thinks that a woman showing cleavage/legs is to gain power over them by distracting them, they're the unprofessional ones. it doesn't take much to break your gaze away from a pair of tits especially in a place where women seek respect
    Surely if they wanted to avoid objectification (which is by definition an automatic, evolutionary response to get males to reproduce) they could cover up, not even to the same standard as men but closer to it

If you use the argument "oh but women have the right to feel attractive in what they're wearing" I dispute that because does this mean men have the right to wear tank tops and tight clothes to accentuate their muscles? Of course not.

There seems to be so much pressure to let women wear whatever they want to feel attractive or sexy etc but why does this not exist for men?

A suit worn by a man is one of the least revealing garments available yet it is the most common in the workplace.

Are you really saying it's fair that women in the office wear a knee length skirt and a sleeveless top while a man wears ankle length trousers and full sleeves?

The double standard is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Because women like to look good and feel attractive.
    So do men, but men get by with only showing their hands and face

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    *Also in crappy retails stores the customers are pigs and the way they act is much more disgusting than anyone could ever look. *.
    Please have some consideration for pigs. To compare them with some of the people in this country who do not wash every day and have no sense of style in the way they dress is unreasonable.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Surely if they wanted to avoid objectification (which is by definition an automatic, evolutionary response to get males to reproduce) they could cover up, not even to the same standard as men but closer to it

If you use the argument "oh but women have the right to feel attractive in what they're wearing" I dispute that because does this mean men have the right to wear tank tops and tight clothes to accentuate their muscles? Of course not.

There seems to be so much pressure to let women wear whatever they want to feel attractive or sexy etc but why does this not exist for men?

A suit worn by a man is one of the least revealing garments available yet it is the most common in the workplace.

Are you really saying it's fair that women in the office wear a knee length skirt and a sleeveless top while a man wears ankle length trousers and full sleeves?

The double standard is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Women in France are literally being fined for covering up on the beaches. If you can't contain yourself at the sight of a woman's shins and shoulders then you have a problem. There is no way we can win. We cover up, we get called names and looked down on. We wear what we like and we get called names and looked down on. Why shouldn't we wear what we like if we're going to get crap for it regardless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky.m)

People are free to wear what they want, and their freely made choice will be judged according to the norms of the situation they're in. It isn't only women that are expected to look professional in the workplace.

In response to the point about women being judged either way, I'd suggest that it's the customers who judge women for dressing 'prudishly' in the workplace that need to get a grip. Why you'd give a toss what an overt advocate of sexual objectification in the workplace thinks I don't know. You probably should care what your boss thinks, though.*

ReputationRep:
    All I'm saying is if you display any feature that I as a heterosexual male deem attractive (e.g. Cleavage, legs) do not be surprised or moan if my eyes happen to glance down for a split second or two. Believe it or not we genuinely can't help it. Staring would admittedly be crossing a line though.

ReputationRep:
    Hoes
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you're not going going to get very far in the corporate world if a pair of t*ts distract you. Jesus Christ, grow the f**k up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yeah, you're not going going to get very far in the corporate world if a pair of t*ts distract you. Jesus Christ, grow the f**k up.
    You're right, of course. No male manager has objectified women in the workplace, ever. It's just not a thing.*
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    You're right, of course. No male manager has objectified women in the workplace, ever. It's just not a thing.*
    Not saying that.

I personally like modesty and don't tend to reveal cleavage just because i don't feel comfortable, but I like wearing both skirts and trousers. And I do prefer female colleges who can look nice even when not showing excessive amounts of cleavage in a professional environment etc. It's just how I am and it's not to oppress anyone

But surely OP, you do realise this is 2016 and not many people think like you do anymore??? Plus women can do what they want??? So???? GURL BYE!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I personally like modesty and don't tend to reveal cleavage just because i don't feel comfortable, but I like wearing both skirts and trousers. And I do prefer female colleges who can look nice even when not showing excessive amounts of cleavage in a professional environment etc. It's just how I am and it's not to oppress anyone

But surely OP, you do realise this is 2016 and not many people think like you do anymore??? Plus women can do what they want??? So???? GURL BYE!
    Colleagues******* too busy being PASSIONATE! :rofl3:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.