Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok give me one reason why Warwick isn't a great university Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    It has insecure students like you who secretly wished they'd ended up at more reputable universities.

Just stop the Warwick threads... please.
    Seriously... I'm not even in university...

And this is exactly what I mean, it tells me nothing about the university whatsoever, it's just some arrogant BS that doesn't help anyone.

ReputationRep:
    It's super ugly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurdMan)
    Other than just "Oxbridge has a better reputation" because that has absolutely no effect on WW.

If you think you would enjoy the course you want and have a lot to gain from taking it, it's a great University. I don't know much about Warwick (despite going to an open day) but a good University is entirely subjective. In my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously... I'm not even in university...

And this is exactly what I mean, it tells me nothing about the university whatsoever, it's just some arrogant BS that doesn't help anyone.
    Sorry, but I've lost my patience when it comes to is "x more reputable than y" threads.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Sorry, but I've lost my patience when it comes to is "x more reputable than y" threads.
    Same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gadero)
    Warwick is in the middle of nowhere, it's great as a "university" but your social life might be affected. Though Leamington Spa/Coventry isn't that bad, but it isn't exactly London or Manchester.
    You'll be surprised the "social life" (or more commonly known as "college experience" in US schools) that many undergraduate students would be looking for cannot be found in large cities, but in a beautiful, secluded campus with a highly collaborative and close-knit student body. Such environment -- peaceful, quiet and laid-back -- would be deemed upon as nurturing and highly progressive.
    If you'd take a look at the top schools in the US, the vast majority of them are pretty much like Warwick, which is a campus-based having a considerable distance from a mega city. Stanford, for instance, which is the "hottest" school for undergrad and MBA in the whole USA, isn't totally in a metropolitan -- it is some distance away from San Francisco, approximately an hour or so away. Some people even call it, "the farm".

Cornell, an Ivy League school, is in the state of New York. Yes, it's in NY. But, hey, it's in Ithaca, a very remote, tranquil, quiet, but very beautiful (absolutely gorgeous) place in upstate NY.

Duke University, another top, famous school, is in a little distance away from Durham, another small city in North Carolina.

Princeton is in a town about 2 hours way from a large city. And so is Bowdoin College, a top liberal arts college in the East Coast.

Yale is in the outskirt of New Heaven, Connecticut, which is a small city by any stretch. (Has aout 150k people living in it.) And, Dartmouth College, another Ivy League school, is Hanover, New Hampshire -- a town of approximately eleven thousand people!!!

Even schools like Caltech, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, Scripps and Claremont Mckenna aren't exactly in downtown Los Angeles, but are in the outskirt, hilly side of LA.
    Northwestern University is in Evanston, not exactly in Chicago.

Amherst College, a top LAC, is a town having about Warwick's student population. And, worst, Williams College, Amherst century-old rival, has only about seven thousand people living in it, and is a distance away from a large city. I can go on and on and on.

You see, these are some of the best schools in the planet. And, the other most common thing they all share, aside from having a beautiful campus is that, they aren't located in the center, or even near the center, of a large city. They're similar to Warwick, and some of them are, in fact, worst than Warwick, if you find a campus-based uni disdainful.

ReputationRep:
    Other than just "Oxbridge has a better reputation" because that has absolutely no effect on WW.
    Warwick is only good at a few subjects, its really young, not a household name, not a pop culture phenomenon (last i checked X-men didn't film at Warwick), does not elicit wows from strangers, friends and relatives (important!)

But actually: The main reason Warwick isn't on Oxbridge level is because nobody knows what Warwick is. It lacks famous alumni and it lacks social weight.

Nothing else matters, lets be honest. University reputation isn't built up in a short period of time.

All this tips the scales in favour of Oxbridge but the result is that the best and brightest go to Oxbridge and that is the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    Warwick is only good at a few subjects, its really young, not a household name, not a pop culture phenomenon (last i checked X-men didn't film at Warwick), does not elicit wows from strangers, friends and relatives (important!)

But actually: The main reason Warwick isn't on Oxbridge level is because nobody knows what Warwick is. It lacks famous alumni and it lacks social weight.

Nothing else matters, lets be honest. University reputation isn't built up in a short period of time.

All this tips the scales in favour of Oxbridge but the result is that the best and brightest go to Oxbridge and that is the end of it.
    You have a point but I do have to nit pick to an extent. Yes Oxbridge has more prestige then anywhere else. There is no comparing to Oxbridge in terms of prestige world reputation or even simply the wow impression it could get from telling people.

Having said that your point that "the best and brightest go to Oxbridge" is not quite strictly true. as an aggregate average I am sure the average ability of students at Oxford or Cambridge is above that of other institutions but as I have said on other occasions the admissions process and admissions teams can never be perfect. They cannot always pick the best candidates 100% of the time and sometimes candidates who should have got in don't.

Secondly whilst comparing there is no comparison to Oxbridge in terms of reputation not everyone gets in in fact a very small percentage do. I asked a few people what they thought of Imperial College London several had not even heard of it. In case you don't know Imperial college London is ranked in the top ten in the world. This may sound like something supporting your point and in a way it is to an extent but not entirely.

Clearly if I get a realistic chance of going to Oxbridge then that is where I am going to try to go. I would take a Gap year after results if rejected (assuming results make it realistic) to reapply to Oxbridge. However what I would not do is make the statement it is Oxbridge or nothing.

the fact still remains many of the big employers recognize Strong Russel group universities. Warwick is ranked 51st in the world as university. been in the top 100 is typically seen as world class. they are easily in the top ten in the UK.

The only logical way to reject Warwick is to say Oxbridge or nothing. That is not a sensible approach.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.