Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    45 minute drive to Uni is fine, ignore phd2027.

For the last year I've been commuting to and from work for an hour at a time (50 mile drive/ 100 both ways).

When I start University in September I will be commuting from home (40 mile drive/ 80 both ways), its not a big deal if you don't mind driving.

I have my daughter over the weekends so student accomodation is a no go for me, also rental prices are far cheaper where I live (currently £300 per month in a 2 bedroom terrace house!), so the savings I make on accomodation cover my petrol costs!!
    I don't mind the driving, though if I don't want to drive on a particular day there is a bus - it takes about 15mintes longer but I don't mind- the gas prices are somewhat high in my country but compared to the rent prices I will be saving so much more. Thanks for the response

ReputationRep:
    Commuting can be draining but 45 mins in manageable, I'm guessing you won't be in every day anyway.

Anything over an hour is grim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    45 minute commute isn't long, I've commuted just over that to university last year. Still going to commute for my second year. It will cost me £530 for the whole year 😃
    Thanks for the response, wow you are saving a lot!!! Wow!
    I think that if this year goes well I may choose commuting for next year. I will be saving up ( not as much as you of course) but I will be saving up a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Commuting can be draining but 45 mins in manageable, I'm guessing you won't be in every day anyway.

Anything over an hour is grim.
    No I most probably won't be in every day! I will have a day off.
    I don't think I would have wanted to do it if the commute lasted over an hour.

Thanks for the response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mk346)
    Thanks for the response, wow you are saving a lot!!! Wow!
    I think that if this year goes well I may choose commuting for next year. I will be saving up ( not as much as you of course) but I will be saving up a lot!!
    It depends on where you live, try to look on the websites for discounts. They usually have student offers aswell. I also get a maintenance grant, which I've been saving and I also work part time. I've only used my grant for travelling cost.

Do you have your timetable yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    I do an hour by train and it's fine! Not so great when I was pregnant but a good time to relax and read before my lectures
    I wished there was a train where I lived! It's either bus or car. If I am to choose the bus it will take me an hour, which could be a nice alternative and I could catch up on some reading during that time.
    Thanks for the response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mk346)
    Thanks for the response ... You are right I did live on my once before I could always do it again, but I am scared that I will just get too comfortable and not be willing to move out ( and always be that girl that is stuck living with her parents). Obviously up until I graduate I will be a different person (much older and more mature) and all I'll want is to move out...
    You can still always move out in the future, sometimes I think it is easier to move out when you are older and more experienced as you will not miss home as much, than if you were a lot younger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    It depends on where you live, try to look on the websites for discounts. They usually have student offers aswell. I also get a maintenance grant, which I've been saving and I also work part time. I've only used my grant for travelling cost.

Do you have your timetable yet?
    My timetable is provisional but what I have so far is pretty flexible... I work as a photographer's assistant and he doesn't open his atelier everyday so i could definitely keep my part time job ( which will be paying for gas).

When I looked for appartments the rent was around 500euro (560US dollars / 460GBP)

I already have a student loan from the seven months I first attended Uni ( which is terminated and almost repaid and would really like not take another one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    You can still always move out in the future, sometimes I think it is easier to move out when you are older and more experienced as you will not miss home as much, than if you were a lot younger.
    I will keep on looking for houses in case I find something affordable.
    You are right I could always move out when I am older and then it will be a more mature choice so it will feel more 'right' and I won't have any second thoughts. Thanks once again for your time and your advice!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mk346)
    My timetable is provisional but what I have so far is pretty flexible... I work as a photographer's assistant and he doesn't open his atelier everyday so i could definitely keep my part time job ( which will be paying for gas).

When I looked for appartments the rent was around 500euro (560US dollars / 460GBP)

I already have a student loan from the seven months I first attended Uni ( which is terminated and almost repaid and would really like not take another one)
    Oh okay, that's good! I agree, I only have tution fee £9,000 and maintenance grant which I don't have to pay back. I haven't taken out a maintence loan as I don't need it and I have to pay it back.

ReputationRep:
    It takes me an hour and a half to get to my current college, and this is the closest college/uni to home that I've ever attended!

Don't worry about your age in regards to living at home. I actually moved back in with my parents last month and I'm 24 lol (originally moved out at 18). Best choice for me right now due to health issues and needing to pay tuition upfront for college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Oh okay, that's good! I agree, I only have tution fee £9,000 and maintenance grant which I don't have to pay back. I haven't taken out a maintence loan as I don't need it and I have to pay it back.
    Oh that's good!
    Thanks for your time once again!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    It takes me an hour and a half to get to my current college, and this is the closest college/uni to home that I've ever attended!

Don't worry about your age in regards to living at home. I actually moved back in with my parents last month and I'm 24 lol (originally moved out at 18). Best choice for me right now due to health issues and needing to pay tuition upfront for college.
    Sorry to hear about your health issues I hope they are temporary! If it is the best choice then that's what you should do and you shouldn't think twice about it.

I know that most people my age after graduating college they usually go to live back with their parents so I probably shouldn't feel so weird about my current living situation. Thanks for the response
    I hope you get better soon

ReputationRep:
    I find it strange when people willingly ruin the best 3 years of their life, by living at home and having to commute, just to save a few hundred quid

ReputationRep:
    People think this is long? Typical fragile cityfolk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    I find it strange when people willingly ruin the best 3 years of their life, by living at home and having to commute, just to save a few hundred quid
    Not everyone going to Uni is coming fresh out of sixth form without any responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    considering that there are student campuses made specifically to save you travel time and money i would say yeah anything more than 30 min travel generally is not a smart investment i lived on my uni campus and travel time was 3-5 min

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomnomnom7)
    considering that there are student campuses made specifically to save you travel time and money i would say yeah anything more than 30 min travel generally is not a smart investment i lived on my uni campus and travel time was 3-5 min
    There are only two 'public' ( and good universities ) in my country where I can afford to study now the rest are expensive colleges and not really as good as the 'public' Uni's. So since the Uni I am going to be attending was founded in 1989 there aren't many facilities (student campuses like you suggest) to accommodate students. People are forced to either rent Appartments or commute. There aren't many choices, for example like the US.. So it's either overpaying for rent ( when you can afford it ) or commuting if you want to attend Uni here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    Not 3 years ( 4 years I don't live in the UK) and some people have to take into consideration other factors, not everybody has the same financial background and not everybody has the same priorities in life. I live in a financially troubled country with no secure future. So you may not see the reasoning behind this but it's not always b/c some people just want to save a couple of hundred quid. If they don't make this choice they won't actually have the opportunity to even attend a university and actually get a degree. You know, to enrich their knowledge.

Sure these years are the ones you will always remember and smile ( if you haven't been drunk through all 3 years of them) but sometimes you have to willingly make some compromises so that those three 'best' years aren't the only ones you've get the chance to enjoy in life.

Sincerely my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    Not everyone going to Uni is coming fresh out of sixth form without any responsibilities.
    Exactly!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.