Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "People don't mind being dead. Being dead is great! But getting dead... nobody wants to get dead" - George Carlin

I wouldn't mind being dead, but dying? Well, if I die quickly, it'd be fine.
    One of those slow, drawn out, in a hospital bed for months waiting for the sweet release? Nah, **** that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    There you go, sit down relax, have a placebo. Baa Baa Baa.
    Deciding to have a placebo defeats the purpose of the placebo in the first place :/

ReputationRep:
    I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to exist forever, literally my worst nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    The human condition is pretty cruel if you ask me.

Of course, there are things to live for - but I cannot escape the notion that our existence apparently is inherently viscous, dubious, and completely without meaning.

As you said, perhaps I would be happier in lying to myself and pledging myself to notions of religion.
    But in a way, to acknowledge my lack of true value sort of takes away stress generated by threats to my life and the inherent drives to make something of myself (I do, but I can accept that failure if I do not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    "People don't mind being dead. Being dead is great! But getting dead... nobody wants to get dead" - George Carlin

I wouldn't mind being dead, but dying? Well, if I die quickly, it'd be fine.
    One of those slow, drawn out, in a hospital bed for months waiting for the sweet release? Nah, **** that.
    This is perfectly explained for me.

Being dead doesn't scare me because I won't be conscious to fear it.
    Dying terrifies me to the point of panic attacks.
    Loved ones dying is constantly on my mind.

I truly feel comfortable being an atheist but it doesn't ease your mind. Heaven would be nice in theory but honestly I'd be happy to just be dead when I'm dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Am I the only one gets extremely worried about death when I think about it? It's probably the most scary concept out there. The thought of losing all your knowledge, relationships, memories and conscience was enough to give me a heart palpitation. Kinda makes me wish I could believe in religion, just for the comfort aspect.
    Much better to feel the outlook is a little bleak than in your dying moments be confronted by all those suppressed doubts and fears swirling about you and then....nothing.

Personally it doesn't really bother me. It will be sad to miss those who die before me, but I'm sure I'll quickly get over my own death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaCalavera)
    This is perfectly explained for me.

Being dead doesn't scare me because I won't be conscious to fear it.
    Dying terrifies me to the point of panic attacks.
    Loved ones dying is constantly on my mind.

I truly feel comfortable being an atheist but it doesn't ease your mind. Heaven would be nice in theory but honestly I'd be happy to just be dead when I'm dead.
    I've never understood how heaven can be a comforting notion. If you're still "alive", then presumably you'd still be conscious... and if you're still conscious, then you'd be rather aware of how your disappearance from the world of the living has affected those around you.

So I concur; I'd much rather be dead and done with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I've never understood how heaven can be a comforting notion. If you're still "alive", then presumably you'd still be conscious... and if you're still conscious, then you'd be rather aware of how your disappearance from the world of the living has affected those around you.

So I concur; I'd much rather be dead and done with it.
    The thing about going to Heaven is that it's your soul, not your physical body. Plus, you can only say how you'd feel now, down on Earth. I'm pretty sure it would be different I Heaven. One analogy used it that of the seed - it has to fall into the earth and "die", before sprouting up into a plant. Is the plant similar to the seed? Not really. But it came from the seed. You get the idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyLadDarren)
    I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to exist forever, literally my worst nightmare.
    I agree - I would hate living forever. But eternity isn't forever: it's outside time. I have no idea what eternity feels like because I've never experienced it. But don't you think it's a pretty cool thing?
    Anyway, it's not like you get a choice in whether you exist in eternity or not...

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one gets extremely worried about death when I think about it? It's probably the most scary concept out there. The thought of losing all your knowledge, relationships, memories and conscience was enough to give me a heart palpitation. Kinda makes me wish I could believe in religion, just for the comfort aspect.
    No, you aren't. More people feel like that than don't. It's also instinctual to try and stay alive as long as possible, so that will in turn affect our conscious thoughts a bit.

Having said that, I personally am not afraid of death at all. When I'm dead I won't be around to feel anything negative! The method of dying is more scary, eg. A painful or drawn out death wouldn't be fun, and I don't like the idea of knowing I'm going to die young, for example being diagnosed with a terminal illness. But the death itself I have no issue with for me personally. I'm terrified that my friends and family will die though; and as an extension of that it makes me sad that my death would make people I love sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it frightens me. To have everything I've experienced thrown away at death. I think that's just me ascribing some meaning to my experiences. I've not had a nice experience with thoughts of death. I know why, for the most part, I now want to live, but I made peace with death when I was close.

ReputationRep:
    Being scared of death is pointless, it won't help, and it ruins quality of life.

Loosing all my knowledge? My knowledge is limited and dissapointing. I can agree with loosing it, if this is connected with death. Though limited, I wouldn't like to live without it. But it's not good enough to make me want to live forever.

Relationships? They cease to exist again and again. I'm used to it.
    Same as memories.

Actually, looking at my awarness, feelings, how they work, what made them to appear, how they are triggered, I can't get rid of impression, that I'm just a biological computer. Free will seems rubbish. There is no me, there is only reaction to an input.

Besides, my neck, right hand and stomach ache me terribly, I've got bloody enough of this. I can't learn because my brain is exhausted and I can't play piano because of pain my hand. I've got bloody enough of this.

ReputationRep:
    So one should believe in fairy tales because one is scared?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Not too comforting when one does not actually believe in the religion they follow - or pertain faith in their deity.
    The unknown is usually scary. There are many ways to help calm one self during moments of high stress and about this topic. I have not followed any but this may be studied, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    I don't worry because when you're dead you won't be aware of those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApplyYourself)
    It actually gives me comfort, I know this is the only life i'll live so enjoy it, make the most of it and don't waste time tellin yourself everything will be better in the next life!!
    Those things are not mutually exclusive, you know. You can enjoy fully life on earth, but when you're down you can tell yourself that everything will be perfect in the afterlife and find solace and inspiration in that.

ReputationRep:
    lmao what comfort imma be Sizzling with Satan :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    No, but i'm sure that many other people think like you. I like to believe that when I die, my atoms will recycle, in some stage I will have turned into CO2, then a tree turns be into oxygen, this oxygen then gets breathed in by a human or any other species that breathes oxygen, and I will be in their system and 1 day when they have a baby, I might be that baby, but will have no knowledge of my past life. I know this sounds so stupid, but its fun to think about it. Or that when I have children and they have children and their children have children, somewhere in that line I will come back without a knowledge of my past life as 1 of my children's children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Those things are not mutually exclusive, you know. You can enjoy fully life on earth, but when you're down you can tell yourself that everything will be perfect in the afterlife and find solace and inspiration in that.
    True and billions of people do think like you described, I didn't deny that people do think like that I just stated my thinking/belief preference.

I think accepting the low points in life for what they are is better than waiting to die so things can get better, doing something about those down times now makes the good times feel all the more better. When you believe in the after life it's sometimes difficult to actually have up times as you're constantly worrying about gods wrath and such.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.