Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    I see. Well without God there is no purpose to life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What an idiot, obviously doesn't know what an Atheist is...

ReputationRep:
    Says the person who wants to be a doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    who wants to be a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    In another thread you said to never trust anyone and never let your guard down. You've obviously been hurt before.

And you have a go at me for saying I'm an atheist when there is suffering in the world that you know of too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Listen i havent been hurt before lmao, i just keep my guard up cause i dont want to be hurt. I actually believe in a God. I didnt have a go at you i just agreed with UWS. I have nothing against that your an atheist. I just think you say it waay to much, Which isnt a problem imo. If your a proud atheist good for you.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Well without God there is no purpose to life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, this is true. Without God there is indeed no objective purpose to life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie1024)
    What an idiot, obviously doesn't know what an Atheist is...
    You're the idiot here. Of course I know what an atheist is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Listen i havent been hurt before lmao, i just keep my guard up cause i dont want to be hurt. I actually believe in a God. I didnt have a go at you i just agreed with UWS. I have nothing against that your an atheist. I just think you say it waay to much, Which isnt a problem imo. If your a proud atheist good for you.
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're the idiot here. Of course I know what an atheist is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's an Atheist then?

ReputationRep:
    What's an Atheist then?
    Someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God.

Next question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God.

Next question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What was you meaning about your previous posts then?

I see. Well without God there is no purpose to life.Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why? God apparently gave me the free will to do so ....Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What was you meaning about your previous posts then?
    I was trying to make a point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was trying to make a point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kk

ReputationRep:
    Kk
    How do you reconcile the contradiction of believing the universe was created randomly yet adheres to a strict set of laws?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AMA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice to see you Dave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    How do you reconcile yourself knowing you have no objective purpose, value or morality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As proven by the existance of atheism, people don't need an objective purpose or stated morality to function in today's society. Life's purpose? On a biological level, to have children. The beauty is you can pick your own purpose.
    Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die.

ReputationRep:
    How do you reconcile the contradiction of believing the universe was created randomly yet adheres to a strict set of laws?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By the fact that it is not a contradiction. Nobody knows if the universe was created randomly, but we know that it does adhere to a strict set of rules. The fact of the matter, is that there is no objective proof that the universe was "created" or "formed". We simply do not know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CervixPounder)
    As proven by the existance of atheism, people don't need an objective purpose or stated morality to function in today's society. Life's purpose? On a biological level, to have children. The beauty is you can pick your own purpose.
    Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die.
    Well then I feel sorry for you. This is an emintently inferior way of approaching life. It suggests not having children means you're life has essentially failed. It renders humans no better than clever animals with nothing intrinsically special about them (opening the door to cruelty and eugenics). It also means there's no reason to do anything at all - the net effect is still the same - you'll just be compost ultimately. Indeed, it actually makes life the opposite of purposeful 0 if everyone ends up that way it would be more efficient for us to kill ourselves now rather than prolong life and reach that end more quickly.

ReputationRep:
    No, this is true. Without God there is indeed no objective purpose to life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But what is your purpose? To do well and good? What do you think is "good"? Many horrific things are said in religious literature, chances are you are either Christian or Muslim, and both holy books are equally awful.If you follow every word/teaching of the Bible/Koran, you either end up like the West Boro Baptist Church, or ISIS.Why do you pick and choose the teachings that are given to you? Is it because you have a basic human morality, that was taught to you by society? How to you complete your purpose if you do not follow your religious teachings exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Well then I feel sorry for you. This is an emintently inferior way of approaching life. It suggests not having children means you're life has essentially failed. It renders humans no better than clever animals with nothing intrinsically special about them (opening the door to cruelty and eugenics). It also means there's no reason to do anything at all - the net effect is still the same - you'll just be compost ultimately. Indeed, it actually makes life the opposite of purposeful 0 if everyone ends up that way it would be more efficient for us to kill ourselves now rather than prolong life and reach that end more quickly.
    Yes, life is pointless. We all mean nothing, it's a hard thing to accept.Yes, we can be likened to animals, the only thing for me that makes humans more important than other animals is because I am one (a human). And no, you haven't "failed" if you don't have children (I mean, biologically kinda, but that's not everything), you can set your own objectives and goals, that's just life.

ReputationRep:
    By the fact that it is not a contradiction. Nobody knows if the universe was created randomly, but we know that it does adhere to a strict set of rules. The fact of the matter, is that there is no objective proof that the universe was "created" or "formed". We simply do not know.
    Well, frankly, that's both a cop out and wrong. Having rules implies a rule giver. Strict rules cannot form and sustain themselves out of chaos, and if you believe they can this is as much an act of faith as any religious teaching.

It's a cop out because all of contemporary astronomy points towards a beginning of the universe a finite time ago (Big Bang, Second Law of Thermodynamics). There are also philosophical reasons for belieing the universe's past isn't infinite which I can explain if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, life is pointless. We all mean nothing, it's a hard thing to accept.Yes, we can be likened to animals, the only thing for me that makes humans more important than other animals is because I am one (a human). And no, you haven't "failed" if you don't have children (I mean, biologically kinda, but that's not everything), you can set your own objectives and goals, that's just life.
    Alright, but I just wish most militant atheists were a little less strident when inciting hatred of religion given that their own ideology is so dark. Humans no better than animals, with no purpose or value. I see no improvement over religion here.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.