The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyJade1999
Hi,
I'm applying to the psychology in education course but as there are only 2 of that course in the UK (I believe) I'm also applying for educational psychology and developmental psychology at other universities. Will this be really bad for my personal statement?

I applied for the same course last year (deferred my entry) and did a similar thing to you with the other unis. I applied to mainly psychology or psychology and education degrees at other unis so I just made my personal statement rather broad so it covers my interests in both psychology and education
University of York
York
Original post by thinkofthefuture
I applied for the same course last year (deferred my entry) and did a similar thing to you with the other unis. I applied to mainly psychology or psychology and education degrees at other unis so I just made my personal statement rather broad so it covers my interests in both psychology and education

Thanks for the advice :smile: are you going to York next year then?
Hi
I have applied to both York and Oxford (and others) for biomedical science, so I will be taking the BMAT and it is listed under my education section. Would this affect my offer?
For example, someone assumes Oxford is my first choice and doesn't give me an offer, or makes my offer dependant on my BMAT results.
Thanks for the advice :smile: are you going to York next year then?

I am indeed! What are your uni choices?
I am indeed! What are your uni choices?

I'm also applying to Bristol, UEA (for developmental psychology) and edge hill (for educational psychology) . Not sure about my 5th choice yet
I got an offer for English the day after my application got to you. Is that common?
Original post by University of York
Hiya,

This might be a little late, but I've had a chat with the department and they say they usually get in touch within 3-4 days, although sometimes it can be a little bit longer.

Hope that helps!

Katie :smile:

Katie could you please check with Psychology as well im anxious to know how soon ill know!
I'm also applying to Bristol, UEA (for developmental psychology) and edge hill (for educational psychology) . Not sure about my 5th choice yet

Oo! That sounds so good. I applied to do psychology in/and/with education at York, Bath and UCLAN and plain psychology at Stirling and UEA!
Reply 28
Hey,

I've been invited to an interview in two weeks and i was wondering if this is normal and if everyone gets interviewed before being made an offer or not? :smile:
Oo! That sounds so good. I applied to do psychology in/and/with education at York, Bath and UCLAN and plain psychology at Stirling and UEA!

Sounds exciting! Do you have a 1st choice?
I sent my UCAS form off last week (applying for Biology) and I was just wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from York?
Reply 31
Original post by custardcream22
I sent my UCAS form off last week (applying for Biology) and I was just wondering how long it usually takes to hear back from York?

I sent my application last monday and i didn't get an acknowledgement or anything but they emailed me yesterday inviting me to an interview :smile:
Hi, how long does it take for the admissions tutors of specific subject areas to reply to an email? Just hoping it has been received, but have sent two now with no reply.
Original post by Amyjonesx
Hi,

Ive applied to Biology at York with a medicine personal statement, will this hinder my application?
Also when should I expect a response, my application was sent off today.
My achieved grades are
A* Biology
A* Psychology
A Chemistry
A French
A general studies

thanks!

Hello!

I'm not sure about your personal statement - your best bet would be to email or call Monica on [email protected] or 01904 328548. As the undergraduate admissions tutor for Biology/Biomedical Sciences/Biochemistry, she'll be able to give you more information regarding both of those questions.

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Katie
Original post by ConicalFlask
Hi
I have applied to both York and Oxford (and others) for biomedical science, so I will be taking the BMAT and it is listed under my education section. Would this affect my offer?
For example, someone assumes Oxford is my first choice and doesn't give me an offer, or makes my offer dependant on my BMAT results.

Hiya,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this - I would advise you to call Monica on 01904 328548 or email her on [email protected]. She'll be able to give you more information about this!

Original post by nic0lar
Hey,

I've been invited to an interview in two weeks and i was wondering if this is normal and if everyone gets interviewed before being made an offer or not? :smile:

Hi,

That depends on the department. Some departments interview before making an offer, and some interview after they've made you an offer, but the offer may be lowered as a result. We have a fair number of departments who do interview, so I wouldn't worry about it :smile:

Katie
Original post by custardcream22

Hi,

It can vary on the time of year and how many applications the department are processing at that time. Different departments will also get back to you at different times, so don't worry if you've got friends who've heard back from York for other courses - it doesn't mean anything.

You can always email Monica on [email protected] or ring her on 01904 328548 - she'll be able to give you a better idea of a timeframe.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Katie
Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd
Hi, how long does it take for the admissions tutors of specific subject areas to reply to an email? Just hoping it has been received, but have sent two now with no reply.

Hi,

What department and course have you applied to? I'll chase this up for you.

Original post by Annie Tay
Katie could you please check with Psychology as well im anxious to know how soon ill know!

Hi Annie,

Don't worry! We treat all our applications who submit their applications before the 15th January equally, so there's nothing to panic about. Whether you get an offer within four days or four weeks doesn't matter!

I've chatted to Psychology and how long it takes to make an offer can depend on a number of factors and it's really hard to pin it down to a specific timeframe. Don't worry if other friends seem to have offers from York, even if they are for psychology - none of it affects your application or implies anything about whether you have an offer.

All offers will definitely be made before the 31st March next year, so the best thing to do for the moment is to hold tight and try not to worry too much.
Sorry I can't be more specific - let me know if you have any more questions!

Sounds exciting! Do you have a 1st choice?

I applied last year and deferred my entry so York was my firm choice and UCLAN my insurance. So now I've got an unconditional at York. What are you hoping to put as your firm and have you sent your application off yet?

Quick Reply