Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i just went with the flow but MAKE SURE YOU REVISE EARLY (do little bits of revision often!!!)

ReputationRep:
    I am going into year 11 too

I procrastinate a lot so this year might be hard for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upbeat4)
    I'm going into Year 11 and I'm kind of scared. What should I expect and how can I survive?
    all about memory for GCSE, don't need real intelligence .... so basically revise ur notes from February half term and onwards, keep going over and over them.

ReputationRep:
    don't be scared. gcses are easy and mean nothing. I have finished school and just had a gap year.

I didn't work all across year 11 and then left revision till about 3 weeks before and during the exam time (which was a lot more than some people) and came out with 11A*'s. At the time I thought my life was falling apart and that I had failed every single one but no. Don't stress. They don't actually mean that much; applying to uni, my gcses had barely any impact on my application anyway. Your AS's and A2's are when sh*t gets serious.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry; if I were you, I'd enjoy GCSE as much as you can and work at a steady pace. Your second year of A level is where things start to get "fun", so look forward to that!

ReputationRep:
    Yr 11 was probably the best year of high school (considering that all of it was bad). Revise the subjects that you have the most difficultly with. I don't want to say that it'll be easy because some people find it hard and some don't. More importantly, find out what you want to do after yr 11. I got good grades, but thinking about my future is where I fell, so I ended up at a crummy college doing a course I didn't enjoy. Don't just go where your friends go, look for sixth forms/colleges that do what you want to do!

It was my friends that made yr 11 bearable, even though I'm not in contact with most of them now. Keep them close even if you're not over the moon about them - just avoid as much conflict as possible!

I didn't go to prom, so unless you're a social butterfly, I don't think it's all too worth it (my friends and brothers say it's alright at best haha)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, thanks for replying
    I'm in the middle of GCSEs now, its been less stressful that I expected. I've been suprisingly calm about everything (so far anyway) and they have been going well.

ReputationRep:
    If the play it right, you'll have nothing to fear. To make things as nice as possible, start revising early, do past papers, and most importantly - believe in yourself!

Wow just noticed this was from last year (awkward :/ ) - but hopefully anyone going into year 11 in September 2017 can take something from this

ReputationRep:
    revise the night before
    (Original post by zanner)
    me af
    Spoiler:
    Show

ok but seriously you shouldn't really worry bc i think yr 11 is ur last yr of freedom before pain and death starts for u with A-levels. i had a laugh in yr 11 and tbh if you do little bits of revision now before it kicks in later you should be fine with GCSEs because it's just a memory game. If you're going to leave your school at the end of yr 11 then it'll be the last year you'll have with a lot of your friends too so you should cherish everything and if theres one thing i can say
    it is do not start revising in MAY.
    REVISE WAY EARLIER U WILL NOT REGRET IT IM TELLING U

ReputationRep:
    Year 11 isn't hard, only need to start revising January at the very earliest

ReputationRep:
    To be fair year 11 was like any other year before that, quite easy and chilling with my friends. I would just try to get over the fact that there will be like 20 tests in this year. Also, my last year in college was the worst and I went through it because I have made 1 or 2 quite good friends that I can relate too.

(This may be different to you as all the specification and stuff has changed and I got all of my exam results above a C grade with no real revision effort except for science and history.) I hate the new system and it is really hard now. I feel you, friend.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't taken art you'll be fine, but you're doomed if you have lol.

Just get coursework done and don't procrastinate too much. Make sure to revise, but don't be a hermit and isolate yourself. It's good to put school first but !don't overdo it!, because when you don't have a social life at all and you've just neglected your friends, it won't be good.

Just don't stress too much, they're only GCSE's, obviously they're important but not very.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't, I threw myself at year 11.

ReputationRep:
    finish your coursework early as possible (before january).

revise for certain subjects for mocks so you don't get pulled down to foundation tier.

if you're aimming for grade 4/5s or 6s, aim for grade 8s/9s.

if you think you have a learning difficulty, get diagnosed as early as possible.

if you have other issues (depression, fmaily problems, stress, anxiety...) that may disadvantage you, tell someone so you can get something done about it.

start doing light revision from january (create flashcards, notes and whatnot) and then do serious revision at march.

learn how to learn.

find a list of resources for each subject that you can rely on.

when your exams are near (two or three days before or something), practice papers are godsend.

unless it's maths or essay style exams, it's better to do practice papers before then. if you already understand how to tackle essay questions, then do them when exams are near.

revision guides are brilliant - buy them.

ReputationRep:
    It’s nothing conpared to A-levels or University. You’ll be fine. Don’t start revising too early, especially if you plan to go to uni..... GCSE’s don’t actually matter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.