Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverDay)

Dr Mould, man. Brilliant chemistry teacher, but also has the uncanny ability to zero in on you if you don't know the answer and does not accept any form disrespect. I would vote Mrs Caldicott, just for being a fab teacher who was also really kind.
    Dr McNaughton and Ms Acford for bio all the way. Also, Ms Acford has a secret double life as a wildlife photographer so, even if you don't get her, look around the department for what she's taken.

Just out of interest, did you go to Hills yourself? Because before I went I heard a lot of people perpetrating this, but I never found this to be the case for me. I did have the head of student support for my tutor, so maybe 'mental health/etc' was pushed more in my tutor class, but I always found them really supportive and never really felt any pressure that I didn't put on myself. I actually had a friend who'd come from an all girls private school, and she commented on how much less pressure & really laid back in comparison it was at Hills.
    Haha so true about Mould, I remember forgetting to do the study packs and praying he wouldn't pick on me in class lol
    And yeah when I was at Netherhall everyone was like omg Hills man it's gonna be so stressful but it was honestly fine. Places like St Mary's are more stressful.
    That said, getting the EPQ done on time was really stressful since most people left it until the last minute lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    No, I went to a boarding school in the area but I have about 6 or 7 friends who went there and dropped out and another 4 who stayed there for the full thing. It's simpy a warning that it can be that pressured. It doesn't mean some people won't feel that!

Some teachers at my school had kids that went there with the same problem .
    Oh, okay. I guess it depends on a lot of things too (like subject choice/the teachers or tutor you get/your home situation/your own personality).
    I just thought I'd add my cent in so the OP isn't totally terrified lol.

(Original post by yoda123)
    Haha so true about Mould, I remember forgetting to do the study packs and praying he wouldn't pick on me in class lol
    And yeah when I was at Netherhall everyone was like Hills man it's gonna be so stressful but it was honestly fine. Places like St Mary's are more stressful.
    That said, getting the EPQ done on time was really stressful since most people left it until the last minute lol
    Oh man, yes. One of the boys in my class did his chem homework in EP lessons. Dr Mould heard about it, and ripped him to shreds in front of the class. There are a lot of stories like that from my two years, but it was kinda a bonding experience for the whole class. Like when someone would whisper you the answer when you're sat there without a clue or let you casually read off their study pack. Brought us all together haha.
    EPQ was an experience. I mostly kept up to date with my diary and documentation but there were so many people completely making it up (one girl said just before it was due in "I'm getting tangled up in my own lies" and that pretty much summed it up for a lot of people haha.) I did have a pretty late night before mine was due in though lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same position omg... I know actually what you mean about being daunting.. I'm travelling 45 minutes away and I'm the only one from my school!! ohh and btw I'm also taking geography and chemistry!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmaosian)
    I'm in the exact same position omg... I know actually what you mean about being daunting.. I'm travelling 45 minutes away and I'm the only one from my school!! ohh and btw I'm also taking geography and chemistry!!
    Omg same I'm travelling for about 45 minutes as well! And yay for geography and chemistry. Tomorrow should be interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunamunapina)
    Omg same I'm travelling for about 45 minutes as well! And yay for geography and chemistry. Tomorrow should be interesting...
    omg coincidence much?? idk why but I'm actually really scared omg... honestly I don't even know what actually happens on the enrolment day

ReputationRep:
    I got a place at Hills Road and I'm not from Cambridge, are there any other people out there who are in the same position? It's pretty daunting XD
    I'm starting hills next week as well but am from Cambridge. Cambridge is a very small town so many people do know of each other, but everyone is very friendly and there are 1000 people in the year group so everyone definitely will be making a big effort to make new friends! I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmaosian)
    omg coincidence much?? idk why but I'm actually really scared omg... honestly I don't even know what actually happens on the enrolment day
    Same I'm scared as well it's probably just confirming subjects and form groups and stuff I think. Still scary though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HR321)
    I'm starting hills next week as well but am from Cambridge. Cambridge is a very small town so many people do know of each other, but everyone is very friendly and there are 1000 people in the year group so everyone definitely will be making a big effort to make new friends! I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths.
    That's good, feel slightly better. I guess I thought that people would already have pre established friend groups from previous schools - that's what usually happens anyway, but it's nice to know people make the effort. I'm really looking forward to starting biology and chemistry, they sound so interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if hills road has things like top and bottom sets - as in all the cleverest people are in one class etc

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if hills road has things like top and bottom sets - as in all the cleverest people are in one class etc
    Nope, everyone is mixed in all together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverDay)
    Nope, everyone is mixed in all together.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, it sounds good one more question - is there any sort of dress code restrictions? It's pretty obvious it's casual clothes but is there any guidelines?
    Not that I'm aware of, just as long as you don't dress obscenely or anything you can pretty much wear what you like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.