Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people get offended when you compare a humans suffering to a animals suffering Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FractalChaos)
    Again, false logic. A highly intelligent person does not feel suffering any more or less than a person say with an IQ of 50 who is blind and deaf. Why should it be any different for the animal? That suffering is still consuming that animals entire being and existence, regardless of how many parameters it is aware of, or can define of its suffering.

The suffering is equal to each. No one is greater.
    If someone has an IQ of 50- being eaten would be the most useful thing the person will ever do. Causing suffering for no reason isn't good, but animals are tasty and the satisfaction that comes from eating them far outweighs their suffering.
    T.R.I.G.G.E.R.E.D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    I didn't say that that's what I believe. I said that "people" believe this.
    Fair enough. You should have made clear your own position at the same time then.

Point still stands anyway, for the "people".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    I didn't say that that's what I believe. I said that "people" believe this.
    I know you didn't say that directly. I was just talking in general.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Animal suffering is inflicted by human beings

Human suffering could be inflicted by human beings or natural evil.

The sheer difference between the two is that animal suffering is only caused by human beings but human suffering takes many causes.

Let us also look at the word 'suffering'. My 'suffering' differs from your 'suffering' so I might think I'm 'suffering' if I get a bad grade or your 'suffering' could be if your mum takes your phone off you. So, I generally believe animal suffering is far more limited(barely any causes) than human suffering.

Plus, whoever says that you can't compare to two via analogies you may certainly can compare them as Thomas Aquinas states that analogies are there to help us compare two things but we must take into account that these things are of a different proportion e.g. a watch and the universe(both perfectly designed but of a different proportion).

ReputationRep:
    What a lovely bunch of people on this forum.

Im done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGJohnson777)
    If someone has an IQ of 50- being eaten would be the most useful thing the person will ever do. Causing suffering for no reason isn't good, but animals are tasty and the satisfaction that comes from eating them far outweighs their suffering.
    T.R.I.G.G.E.R.E.D
    Not only do you show complete contempt for animal suffering- you also show complete contempt for mentally disabled people. What a disgusting attitude to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FractalChaos)
    It is this mindset and way of thinking that has lead our planet and species into such a mess.
    Are you vegetarian ?
    if you aren't , are they (animals) delicious ? ........... if they knew what suffering is , why do we eat them ? why do you eat them?
    if you are .............. don't impose your ideas upon us ? ............. because I AM NOT VEGETARIAN !
    Spoiler:
    Show
    and if you can't be convinced ! let's forget it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.