Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LDS's mission to A*AA and a place at med school Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    didn't get a notif for this :erm:
    but I like the sound of the skinner's box book
    Loved studying those studies at GCSE Might consider a purchase :yy:Thanks LDS Great reviewing here :awesome:
    Oh no, not again...
    I'm glad I may have persuaded you!! You're welcome haha, it was my first review
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Oh no, not again...
    I'm glad I may have persuaded you!! You're welcome haha, it was my first review
    :shock: I hope not :erm:
    To ensure notifs work, do what I do for pinta, in your tag list in the previous post u made, click "edit", then copy the tags in the edited post
    then paste them in your new post
    should work then :erm: try it next time
    it was a good review! I might buy it later
    gtg for train to college + food so ttyl!

ReputationRep:
    :shock: I hope not :erm:
    To ensure notifs work, do what I do for pinta, in your tag list in the previous post u made, click "edit", then copy the tags in the edited post
    then paste them in your new post
    should work then :erm: try it next time
    it was a good review! I might buy it later
    gtg for train to college + food so ttyl!
    okay, I actually did that but I'll try again..
    Hopefully it will work haha
    Wow, I feel honoured
    Okay, have a great time, ttyl
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    okay, I actually did that but I'll try again..
    Hopefully it will work haha
    Wow, I feel honoured
    Okay, have a great time, ttyl
    Oh lol
    Ttyl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    :hello:Hello everyone! :hello:

So I've decided, after being inspired by multiple threads from other bloggers, to create my own blog about my A levels and my journey into medical school. In a week, I'll be going into year 12 and I want to take every opportunity to achieve the highest grades possible. For me, A*AA is the minimum, not only because most medical schools that I'm looking into (mostly Russell group) will not accept any less (apart from few that accept AAA, but even they state that most of their offers are A*AA), but also because I feel that I'll be unhappy in myself with anything less. In an ideal world I'd get A*A*A*, but let's just stick to the real world for now

(08/09/16)
    hey I've just started year 12 too and am hoping to study medicine (which i have always wanted to do) but am really motivated after getting my gcse grades (surprised myself ahah). At the moment i love the look of UCL/Imperial college London, Leeds and Cambridge (a gal can dream!) so I'm aiming for similar grades as you! Would you be able to tag me or whatever so I can see what you're doing as UCAS deadline is only a year away :eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tea2345)
    hey I've just started year 12 too and am hoping to study medicine (which i have always wanted to do) but am really motivated after getting my gcse grades (surprised myself ahah). At the moment i love the look of UCL/Imperial college London, Leeds and Cambridge (a gal can dream!) so I'm aiming for similar grades as you! Would you be able to tag me or whatever so I can see what you're doing as UCAS deadline is only a year away :eek::eek:
    Awesome! Of course I will, I'm planning to post an entry tomorrow as I've just finished my first week of college. Best of luck on your journey into medicine, I'm happy to help any way I can, and thanks for your interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Awesome! Of course I will, I'm planning to post an entry tomorrow as I've just finished my first week of college. Best of luck on your journey into medicine, I'm happy to help any way I can, and thanks for your interest
    Thank you so much! You too (now back to chemistry work...)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! You too (now back to chemistry work...)
    Haha I know the feeling, haven't even logged on to TSR since Wednesday until today, used to be practically every day. I've got lots of biology (as well as stuff for my other subjects) work, a good few pages of note taking, two homeworks and a test on Tuesday. I have two teachers for biology haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Haha I know the feeling, haven't even logged on to TSR since Wednesday until today, used to be practically every day. I've got lots of biology (as well as stuff for my other subjects) work, a good few pages of note taking, two homeworks and a test on Tuesday. I have two teachers for biology haha
    Haha well I'm the biggest procrastinator EVER so I've managed to leave all the Hwk (15 pieces including 2 tests next week to revise for!!!!!) to this weekend and I have a shift at work all day tomorrow...😂 Not sure how this is going to work lol

I have 3 teachers for bio so it's a bit crazy! What subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    Haha well I'm the biggest procrastinator EVER so I've managed to leave all the Hwk (15 pieces including 2 tests next week to revise for!!!!!) to this weekend and I have a shift at work all day tomorrow...😂 Not sure how this is going to work lol

I have 3 teachers for bio so it's a bit crazy! What subjects are you taking?
    Oh no :rofl: so many people have multiple teachers for bio.. I guess one just couldn't handle it
    I'm taking biology, chemistry and psychology, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Oh no :rofl: so many people have multiple teachers for bio.. I guess one just couldn't handle it
    I'm taking biology, chemistry and psychology, what about you?
    I think I've learnt more in bio in one week of a level than I did in like 6 months of GCSE so I'm not surprised... And I'm taking maths, chemistry, biology and English lit and will probably do an EPQ as well ! ☺️ How are you finding transition into sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    I think I've learnt more in bio in one week of a level than I did in like 6 months of GCSE so I'm not surprised... And I'm taking maths, chemistry, biology and English lit and will probably do an EPQ as well ! ☺️ How are you finding transition into sixth form?
    In one lesson even :rofl: I'm liking all the terminology though, like "phosphodiester bonds" good luck with those subjects!! Are you doing AQA for the sciences? I want to do an EPQ in my second year, maybe something about the chemistry of Alzheimer's. I think I'm settling in well,.much prefer college to school already. Doesn't feel long ago I was doing GCSE exams, really like the freedom and level of studying, meeting new people you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    In one lesson even :rofl: I'm liking all the terminology though, like "phosphodiester bonds" good luck with those subjects!! Are you doing AQA for the sciences? I want to do an EPQ in my second year, maybe something about the chemistry of Alzheimer's. I think I'm settling in well,.much prefer college to school already. Doesn't feel long ago I was doing GCSE exams, really like the freedom and level of studying, meeting new people you?
    Haha yes it's definitely more stretching than GCSE which was quite easy tbh😂 I'm doing AQA for bio, but OCR for chem, what exam boards are you doing? I'm really interested in the brain/heart so going to base my EPQ on something to do with one of those!

My sixth form is attached to my school so not much of a change, but yeah I'm liking having free periods !! 😝

ReputationRep:
    Haha yes it's definitely more stretching than GCSE which was quite easy tbh😂 I'm doing AQA for bio, but OCR for chem, what exam boards are you doing? I'm really interested in the brain/heart so going to base my EPQ on something to do with one of those!

My sixth form is attached to my school so not much of a change, but yeah I'm liking having free periods !! 😝
    I'm doing AQA for all my a levels ah okay, sounds good! My school doesn't have sixth form.. thank God :rofl: glad to leave that place haha

ReputationRep:
    Post #2- College life! (19/09/16)

It's been a while! 11 days in fact. And I've been incredibly busy settling into college and adjusting to the workload. It's quite a big step up for me, but I'm finding it manageable. Tonight I'm aiming to complete two biology worksheets and make notes on water and its functions for the biology test tomorrow. At college we've delved right into the subjects, and I'm glad. I was actually worried there'd be a month of "getting to know you" and "intro" lessons as I found every year at secondary school- this isn't the case at all. I'm making friends as I go along and adjusting and learning all at the same time, and I'm really enjoying it It's a big change from school, where half the people may not want to be there- you don't choose A level chemistry on a whim

So for biology I have two teachers, I'm learning about DNA and RNA synthesis and also about biological molecules (mostly carbohydrates at the moment) at the same time depending who I have for each lesson. For psychology, I'm looking into the origins of how psychology came into being, how it became classified as a science (and what those classifications are) and reasons why there's a debate on whether psychology is a "true" science. As for chemistry, I've studied the structure of an atom, and am currently looking into the rules of isotopes and the steps of TOF (Time Of Flight) mass spectrometry. I had a little test on Friday which I'm pleased to say I got full marks

I've made quite a few friends, although I don't know many people's names in my classes yet (srry guys ) I've spoken to most of them and I get on well with a lot of people. I've made a couple of good friends, one of them is looking into vet school which is v cool My tutor seems pretty good, she's one of my biology teachers and she seems really good at teaching, the one lesson I've had taught by her so far was really interesting. She's also head of the medical admissions support team at college (yes we actually have whole teams dedicated to med school XD) so that's really good. All my teachers seem to lean towards medicine or the clinical side of my subject which is perfect for me- chemistry teacher worked in world-leading pharmacy for ten years, is also helping cancer research drugs; psychology teacher has chosen the three option topics (out of 12 which they choose three to teach) most related to medicine, such as schizophrenia.

I've got quite a good timetable, one thing I need to do when I get home tomorrow is phone up the local hospice to arrange some shifts to do, will be nice to help out some more

My old school contacted me and asked if I wanted them to pay for a remark of my physics paper, as it is one off an A*.. so of course I said yes! I should find out if the grade has changed in about a week or two, so fingers crossed!

So to sum this post up, I'm really liking college and feel really comfortable and relaxed- the subjects are really interesting, I love the level of detail you get to learn and discover things, and I really feel like I'm on track to medical school with a strong support network and many insights into different areas of medicine. Thanks for reading this, and as always, thanks so much for continued support, means a lot!

Quoting people who may be interested below, as tags didn't work last time :rip:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    CheeseIsVeg
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    hamza772000
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    FrenchUnicorn
    Tea2345
    (Original post by yoda123)
    yoda123
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    Saba XD
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    GabbytheGreek_48

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten tagged :O. Sounds like your doing good at college so far good luck with that remark btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    I've gotten tagged :O. Sounds like your doing good at college so far good luck with that remark btw
    At least the tags work for someone haha :lol:
    Thank you, thanks for all your help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Post #2- College life! (19/09/16)

It's been a while! 11 days in fact. And I've been incredibly busy settling into college and adjusting to the workload. It's quite a big step up for me, but I'm finding it manageable. Tonight I'm aiming to complete two biology worksheets and make notes on water and its functions for the biology test tomorrow. At college we've delved right into the subjects, and I'm glad. I was actually worried there'd be a month of "getting to know you" and "intro" lessons as I found every year at secondary school- this isn't the case at all. I'm making friends as I go along and adjusting and learning all at the same time, and I'm really enjoying it It's a big change from school, where half the people may not want to be there- you don't choose A level chemistry on a whim

So for biology I have two teachers, I'm learning about DNA and RNA synthesis and also about biological molecules (mostly carbohydrates at the moment) at the same time depending who I have for each lesson. For psychology, I'm looking into the origins of how psychology came into being, how it became classified as a science (and what those classifications are) and reasons why there's a debate on whether psychology is a "true" science. As for chemistry, I've studied the structure of an atom, and am currently looking into the rules of isotopes and the steps of TOF (Time Of Flight) mass spectrometry. I had a little test on Friday which I'm pleased to say I got full marks

I've made quite a few friends, although I don't know many people's names in my classes yet (srry guys ) I've spoken to most of them and I get on well with a lot of people. I've made a couple of good friends, one of them is looking into vet school which is v cool My tutor seems pretty good, she's one of my biology teachers and she seems really good at teaching, the one lesson I've had taught by her so far was really interesting. She's also head of the medical admissions support team at college (yes we actually have whole teams dedicated to med school XD) so that's really good. All my teachers seem to lean towards medicine or the clinical side of my subject which is perfect for me- chemistry teacher worked in world-leading pharmacy for ten years, is also helping cancer research drugs; psychology teacher has chosen the three option topics (out of 12 which they choose three to teach) most related to medicine, such as schizophrenia.

I've got quite a good timetable, one thing I need to do when I get home tomorrow is phone up the local hospice to arrange some shifts to do, will be nice to help out some more

My old school contacted me and asked if I wanted them to pay for a remark of my physics paper, as it is one off an A*.. so of course I said yes! I should find out if the grade has changed in about a week or two, so fingers crossed!

So to sum this post up, I'm really liking college and feel really comfortable and relaxed- the subjects are really interesting, I love the level of detail you get to learn and discover things, and I really feel like I'm on track to medical school with a strong support network and many insights into different areas of medicine. Thanks for reading this, and as always, thanks so much for continued support, means a lot!

Quoting people who may be interested below, as tags didn't work last time :rip:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Omg well done bro :yy:
    I would reply in more detail but i am using my phones browser as my pc is updating to windows 10 lol
    But congrats and look at u with those ladies rofl

ReputationRep:
    Omg well done bro :yy:
    I would reply in more detail but i am using my phones browser as my pc is updating to windows 10 lol
    But congrats and look at u with those ladies rofl
    don't get me started on the phone browser hahaha
    thank you; how'd you know my friend's a girl
    XD

ReputationRep:
    Omfg ikr phone is so terrible and worse I'm stuck using it because my computer gave up on itself

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.