Access to Science Diary

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Im doing it all in one year also while looking after my 2 year old. Im lucky to have a very supportive partner though.
    Our assignments are all very mixed A bit of everything, exams, essays, oral presentation, posters and more. I believe our first assignment will be to build a model. So its very different to the traditional school way.
    Is yours all essays and exams?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with everything and well done and taking the first step forward to getting a career. I did Access to Science and Health 3 years ago, alongside working full time. Was it difficult? The contents weren't too bad, but the speed was crazy, I remember having like 5 assignments all due in at once. I got to Christmas and I remember having a little mental breakdown, deciding I couldn't cope. But I did, and it was great. I didn't go to university unfortunately (decided after doing work experience I didn't want to do what I originally intended) but I don't regret doing my course at all.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone's course going?

First assignment got a distinction

Lots of assessed practicals and lab reports keeping us busy and can see it getting really hectic by Xmas.

Chemistry is picking up in difficulty but the core maths module is a gift 😎

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm also doing my access to science course. Only just received my first assignment on cell theory and I have just done an oral presentation last week. I think it's going to get a lot faster after half term - can't believe it's nearly half term already!!

Have you all got your uni applications in?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone,

Well done on the distinction apply yourself!
    We've just started getting our assigments. Its definetly picking up now.
    Cells for biology. Electricity for Physics and Atoms for Chemistry. Pysics is definetly what im most worried anout.
    Im going to have to work really hard to get those distinctions.
    Nope, it will be a while till our applications are in yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyfoodchemist)
    Hi everyone,

I'm also doing my access to science course. Only just received my first assignment on cell theory and I have just done an oral presentation last week. I think it's going to get a lot faster after half term - can't believe it's nearly half term already!!

Have you all got your uni applications in?
    Nervous about presentations I'm crap at them!! How did yours go?

Not done ucas yet, need to get started on it soon though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigger20)
    Hey Everyone,

Well done on the distinction apply yourself!
    We've just started getting our assigments. Its definetly picking up now.
    Cells for biology. Electricity for Physics and Atoms for Chemistry. Pysics is definetly what im most worried anout.
    Im going to have to work really hard to get those distinctions.
    Nope, it will be a while till our applications are in yet.
    Thanks

So glad I don't have to do a third subject.

ReputationRep:
    Im getting my first draft of my personal statement in to my tutor for checking this week.
    Im so jealous of you not having to do physics!
    Im half way through my study skills assignment which is note taking.
    And I just secured a lab shadowing placement for a day in a few weeks time so Im really looking forward to that.
    Very nervous to get my other assignments started, we only have one shot to do really well at this and Id really like to go to a good university.

Im not looking forward to presentations either!

ReputationRep:
    The presentation isn't too bad tbh as long your not rambling and there's structure it's an easy pass. I looking forward to getting Christmas out of the way - no more physics and no more maths after that!!

I've got my final personal statement draft finished just need it checked by the careers adviser tomorrow and them I'll send my application off. I am looking forward to getting the actual graded assignments - would be good to start getting some grades down.

Where and what are you all hoping to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyfoodchemist)
    The presentation isn't too bad tbh as long your not rambling and there's structure it's an easy pass. I looking forward to getting Christmas out of the way - no more physics and no more maths after that!!

I've got my final personal statement draft finished just need it checked by the careers adviser tomorrow and them I'll send my application off. I am looking forward to getting the actual graded assignments - would be good to start getting some grades down.

Where and what are you all hoping to study at uni?
    I need to get cracking with my PS as well, college want it in by mid November.

I'm hoping to study optometry at Bradford, you?

Anatomy and physiology is getting tricky

ReputationRep:
    Dietetics and nutrition - I've applied to Nottingham, Coventry, Kings, Cardiff Met and Surrey. My application has now been sent - I'm relieved to have gotten it out of the way, but nervously waiting for a response.

Handed in my first assignment this week, I've got a chem one to work on over half term and an in-class assignment to prepare for in biology.

ReputationRep:
    So it turns out our maths tutor has been teaching us the wrong stuff. Can anyone tell me what you have learnt so far so I can try and catch up over half term?

ReputationRep:
    Teaching you the wrong stuff?! That sounds so bad. Can you guys include where you're studying? I'm looking at doing this next year as I want to study physiotherapy in London (Kings, UEL or St Georges). I've been looking at Greenwich College and also Bromley. They're sort of local to me. Ideally I'd like to do what someone above is doing, part time, over two years, as finances will be really tight and I'd like to work and it seems like the speed of these courses is intense.

I'm also looking at studying now until next September to get to grips again with science. I'm 30 and so it's been a while! I got BB at GCSE and A in Maths so know I have the ability. I'm gonna need distinctions to get to the unis I want though...

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...ed.book_SAHR45

This book looked interesting.

Keep the thread going as I'll be following it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Chez.

I'm following this thread too. It's quite interesting.

I, rather stupidly, bought 4 of those REVISION guides (Bio, Chem, Phys, Math) when I would have been better off buying the Student Textbook products. They're more expensive, but apparently a lot more comprehensive.

I suppose if you already have a basic grasp of the sciences and are just a bit rusty, the revision guides would be fine. Plus, I'm sure they will come in handy for me at some point.

ReputationRep:
    So you'd recommend the student books over the revision guides? Makes sense I guess. Been 10 years since I've studied anything.

ReputationRep:
    The revision guides have sort of bullet-point style notes on each topic, where as the student textbooks explain in more depth.

I've ordered one of the textbooks tonight which cost 16.99 or so from Amazon. This includes an online edition which can only be accessed on the CGP website.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.