Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CherryPoppins)
    my iq is 141 i doubt yours is anywhere near that pal
    Cool story, Bro. But even if that is so, there is more to being smart than a high IQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    think you're smart do you?
    well... he is correct?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I hate anti-intellectualism :/

ReputationRep:
    We've got a badass over here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why does someone always try to turn it into a ****-measuring contest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Yet again, this is not new. Ever since the treaty came into force and we moved OUR border continent side we have paid for it. We are paying for our own border, not the French one. Would you be saying the same thing if we built the wall our side of the chanel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    channel
    sorry but you did remind me I need to go aftershave shopping maybe some perfume for a little business promotion

ReputationRep:
    If France don't pay then we should boycott their wine and cheese.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    well... he is correct?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I hate anti-intellectualism :/
    Tends to be what happens when one goes out and learns things to show they're smart rather than trying to convince people they're good at pattern spotting when they know they're wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    If France don't pay then we should boycott their wine and cheese.
    Third time now I think (maybe fourth, CBA to go back and count), there are a series of juxtaposed control agreements between the UK, France, and Belgium, normally referred to as the Le Touquet Agreement, or Treaty of Le Touquet (although this is bilateral and to do with ferries). The TL;DR of it is that migration control happens at the beginning of the journey, not the end, and is paid for by the receiving country.

In other words, the border to come into the UK across the channel is on the continent and paid for by the UK, and the border to leave the UK is in the UK and paid for by the French (and Belgians, and I believe there are other similar agreements with the Dutch).

Incidentally, the same also applies to flight anywhere in Schengen (but also extends to some extent beyond Schengen) bit there it is the responsibility of the airline and they are heavily fined (about 10k) for every illegal they carry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Third time now I think (maybe fourth, CBA to go back and count), there are a series of juxtaposed control agreements between the UK, France, and Belgium, normally referred to as the Le Touquet Agreement, or Treaty of Le Touquet (although this is bilateral and to do with ferries). The TL;DR of it is that migration control happens at the beginning of the journey, not the end, and is paid for by the receiving country.

In other words, the border to come into the UK across the channel is on the continent and paid for by the UK, and the border to leave the UK is in the UK and paid for by the French (and Belgians, and I believe there are other similar agreements with the Dutch).

Incidentally, the same also applies to flight anywhere in Schengen (but also extends to some extent beyond Schengen) bit there it is the responsibility of the airline and they are heavily fined (about 10k) for every illegal they carry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was trolling.

ReputationRep:
    think you're smart do you?
    Smarter than you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I was trolling.
    Hard to tell with the amount of dunces. Well, at least now it's a direct post reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hard to tell with the amount of dunces. Well, at least now it's a direct post reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Between the OP and Mr IQ the thread barely merits a serious reply.

ReputationRep:
    Britain is now Elysium and every person from the third world wants to get in. If you stop them you are a racist and your have to deal with your "white privilege". Don't worry if your not white; you probably still have first world privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Britain is now Elysium and every person from the third world wants to get in. If you stop them you are a racist and your have to deal with your "white privilege". Don't worry if your not white; you probably still have first world privilege.
    Cannot tell if trolling :s
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Pretty accurate assessment really, half the world wants to be in a small number of countries and if you suggest we shouldn't let them in arbitrarily you're branded racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not trolling. Its the status quo preached by mindless liberals and big business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Not trolling. Its the status quo preached by mindless liberals and big business.
    I don't really want to get involved with a debate at this time of day so I won't be around to respond

Your username added to the probability - I appreciate your sentiment and respect that many people do fake-rage and call you names (which you do return) the moment you start talking about control BUT if you look at data and information you'll find that the vast majority of immigrants are good for our country (control would obviously allow you to keep those coming in, but that is not what many who voted leave (specifically the Murdoch sheep) had in mind) and that 'big business' pushed for both sides, I think the 'anyone who disagrees with me is mindless' attitude and the 'name-calling' is quite dangerous and overshadows the real debate.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It's their problem, not ours, just like the £7m the government gave to Eurotunnel to improve security. Why?, it's a plc. I'm sure a simple threat of closing the tunnel unless the shareholders (mostly tories) came up with the money would've been enough to get 'em to cough up, and like a 13 foot high fence? If the Med and the channel don't stop illegal immigrants a stupid little fence won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    No, we should. Its to defend UK, so should be paid by UK government.
    We pay the Royal Navy and the border agency to do that, not to patrol the Med or catch drug smugglers in the west indies or stop some old dear from bringing back an extra carton of duty free f(ags

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buonaparte)
    You realise France already spends money and resources preventing illegal migration to the UK, right?

I am all for controlling immigration, but I'm sick of blind nationalists ****ging off our neighbours just because they read something in the Daily Express that hurt their feelings.
    Our neighbours want to get shot of these people, do you think they really want to seriously stop them from coming here?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.