Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you feel as if you had good career advice growing up? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Some girls and boys were sent to Australia - child migrants. It cost £5 for a passage to Australia, cheaper than the cost of care in Britain.
    I was sent to London as a mother's help to the Tate&Lyle family when I was 15. I couldn't cope with the life with no support so was sent to the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland. I got married in 1971 and had my first child in 1972. My husband was a doctor. He died of Motor Neurone Disease. I remarried in 1975, had 6 more children, divorced him in 1983.
    In 1998, I did an Access to the Humanities and got a place on my Criminology degree. One of my daughters had a baby boy in 1999. He was very poorly and I had to take custody of him. I had to drop out of Uni. I never sent him to school. I homeschooled him and he's 17 now and started college last year and I went back to uni last year to do my Criminology degree.
    Erm wow I'll have to take your word for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Erm wow I'll have to take your word for it!
    The information is in the public arena. The scheme was also used by Barnardos, Salvation Army, and the C of. E Church.

ReputationRep:
    no. the advice i was given was crap

ReputationRep:
    you guys do expect quite a lot from your schools

the fact they say

"aim high and get good grades so you can do what you want"

is sufficient information

the rest you OUGHT to get yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    you guys do expect quite a lot from your schools

the fact they say

"aim high and get good grades so you can do what you want"

is sufficient information

the rest you OUGHT to get yourself
    Are you serious lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    To say it was "absolutely ****ing useless" would be an understatement. Schools only care about sending you to university, and universities just don't care in general. I had 1 meeting with a uni careers adviser and it was the same regurgitated tat that she'd clearly said to every person she'd seen that day.

TSR is a much better resource for CV help, interview prep & techniques, possible sectors to enter than any careers advice you'll get in schools and i'm not just saying that because i'm part of the team.

Also anyone who is old enough to remember Connexions will surely remember how useless they were! The adviser I had was brilliant on a personal level, but on a career level they did virtually nothing for me.

ReputationRep:
    The advice from the organisation that run career help at my school was abysmal.

One of my friends was told that equine eventing was a good career expectation, she could leave school and go straight into it with her horse.

Another was told that she could be a fashion designer on £40k after leaving school with GCSEs. After two years, £60k. Believe it or not that information came from the .gov website and she STILL believes this today - she doesn't want to apply for jobs for less money.

I was told going into STEM was 'really hard', not worth it because of poor pay and that most women didn't consider it. Maybe I should choose an easier career.

I still can't get over this horrendous advice. Don't listen to them!

ReputationRep:
    Not really.. For a long time, I thought that doctor, engineer, lawyer and economist were the only careers that existed. That's probably why it took me a really long time to accept that Literature was the ideal uni course for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Not really.. For a long time, I thought that doctor, engineer, lawyer and economist were the only careers that existed. That's probably why it took me a really long time to accept that Literature was the ideal uni course for me
    I thoughtly similarly until I discovered the prospects website by googling, on my gap year. I'm really glad I did because I'm not great at science and pretty poor at Maths so for most of my school career I believed my options were really limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I thoughtly similarly until I discovered the prospects website by googling, on my gap year. I'm really glad I did because I'm not great at science and pretty poor at Maths so for most of my school career I believed my options were really limited.
    It's not like I didn't know there were other jobs too, but I didn't think they could provide me with stability and a reliable income in the long run. Right now I'm on a gap year too, and I'm planning to apply to uni again for an English and Mod Langs course.. Last year I was rejected from my dream uni, and I honestly would've rejected myself too, as I applied for Economics and Management.

I was under the impression that hard work and ambition alone would be enough, but I was obviously wrong.. I feel like passion is way more important..

Best of luck doing what you love!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I had to google everything myself

ReputationRep:
    Not really - the only useful stuff was for applying to university. Other than a lazy scheme that was run through a third-party website, there was next to no career advice whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Nope, don't see the point when schools have a careers advisor when their information is like 10 years old. As others have said, some felt really limited with careers "You can be a fireman/policeman/teacher" and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    It's not like I didn't know there were other jobs too, but I didn't think they could provide me with stability and a reliable income in the long run. Right now I'm on a gap year too, and I'm planning to apply to uni again for an English and Mod Langs course.. Last year I was rejected from my dream uni, and I honestly would've rejected myself too, as I applied for Economics and Management.

I was under the impression that hard work and ambition alone would be enough, but I was obviously wrong.. I feel like passion is way more important..

Best of luck doing what you love!
    True, I knew of course about retail and hospitality work but with, all due respect to those that work that sector, I always knew I was trying to aim higher. I had no idea about the different options in the not for profit sector- in charities, government, NGO's, tthink tanks e.c.t until I started googling and thats how I determined I had a real interest in the policy side of things.

Hard work and ambition are two important components but passion is another important one too. I've since finished with university study having done a BA and MA, I'm now in a Policy Internship but I lost the opportunity to get a couple of internships because I didn't demonstrate enough passion at interview- it's not that I wasn't, but it took me a while to be able to convey it. Then work experience is essential too, I wouldn't have got any of my interviews and ultimately my internship.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yammy)
    Nope, don't see the point when schools have a careers advisor when their information is like 10 years old.
    Or the careers advisor had 20 part time jobs and supposedly that qualified them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of

I told her my plans and she recommended BTEC

She also gave me a website called plotr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Or the careers advisor had 20 part time jobs and supposedly that qualified them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our school just had a new careers advisor, he used to be a business and accounting teacher. No idea how he got this role.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Growing up I've always had a plan about what I'm doing with my life, even if they were completely different to my current plan. Parents always helped me out following my heart whilst bringing my brain along

ReputationRep:
    anyone else?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.