Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Student Finance Help - Can I afford university ? - Please help :(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tylerd94)
    Hello I started a Legal Methods course at Birkbeck University this course is a certificate to Higher education I began the course in 2015 I had student funding for this course it is a one year course I then dropped out I have taken a student loan again this year for the course beginning in October 2016 as this is not a degree course I am just wondering How many years of funding I will have when I go onto my degree shall it be three years or what is the situation?
    You really need to start your own thread to get more answers However, the equation is:

Number of years of your new uni-level course (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

Partial/incomplete years are counted as whole years for the calculation. If you're getting Student Finance for your most recent course, then that must be uni-level as well as your first course.

If you start a new three year degree from scratch, the calculation gives you 3-2+1=2 years of Student Finance entitlement remaining, which you would get in your second and third years. You would have to self-fund your first year, including paying your own tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    You really need to start your own thread to get more answers However, the equation is:

Number of years of your new uni-level course (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

Partial/incomplete years are counted as whole years for the calculation. If you're getting Student Finance for your most recent course, then that must be uni-level as well as your first course.

If you start a new three year degree from scratch, the calculation gives you 3-2+1=2 years of Student Finance entitlement remaining, which you would get in your second and third years. You would have to self-fund your first year, including paying your own tuition fees.
    I forgot to add that this was a part time course does that make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to add that this was a part time course does that make any difference?
    Possibly. You definitely need to check that direct with SF.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly. You definitely need to check that direct with SF.
    Okay thank you they don't have an email service unfortunately and I am in the US right now so will have to contact when I arrive home unless you know of an email service they might have?

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you they don't have an email service unfortunately and I am in the US right now so will have to contact when I arrive home unless you know of an email service they might have?
    They don't have an email contact. However there is a section in this forum where official SF reps answer queries for a few hours a day, Tue-Thu. You'd have to wait a few days now, but it would be worth posting your query here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Make sure they know that part of your previous study was part-time.

ReputationRep:
    I think you gave me the wrong link that is for a .gov page I can't seem to find the SF reps answer page?

They don't have an email contact. However there is a section in this forum where official SF reps answer queries for a few hours a day, Tue-Thu. You'd have to wait a few days now, but it would be worth posting your query here:
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/eligibility

Make sure they know that part of your previous study was part-time.

ReputationRep:
    I think you gave me the wrong link that is for a .gov page I can't seem to find the SF reps answer page?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Apologies - will edit my post above.*

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.