Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Finance Help - Can I afford university ? - Please help :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tylerd94)
    Hello I started a Legal Methods course at Birkbeck University this course is a certificate to Higher education I began the course in 2015 I had student funding for this course it is a one year course I then dropped out I have taken a student loan again this year for the course beginning in October 2016 as this is not a degree course I am just wondering How many years of funding I will have when I go onto my degree shall it be three years or what is the situation?
    You really need to start your own thread to get more answers However, the equation is:

Number of years of your new uni-level course (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

Partial/incomplete years are counted as whole years for the calculation. If you're getting Student Finance for your most recent course, then that must be uni-level as well as your first course.

If you start a new three year degree from scratch, the calculation gives you 3-2+1=2 years of Student Finance entitlement remaining, which you would get in your second and third years. You would have to self-fund your first year, including paying your own tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    You really need to start your own thread to get more answers However, the equation is:

Number of years of your new uni-level course (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

Partial/incomplete years are counted as whole years for the calculation. If you're getting Student Finance for your most recent course, then that must be uni-level as well as your first course.

If you start a new three year degree from scratch, the calculation gives you 3-2+1=2 years of Student Finance entitlement remaining, which you would get in your second and third years. You would have to self-fund your first year, including paying your own tuition fees.
    I forgot to add that this was a part time course does that make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to add that this was a part time course does that make any difference?
    Possibly. You definitely need to check that direct with SF.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly. You definitely need to check that direct with SF.
    Okay thank you they don't have an email service unfortunately and I am in the US right now so will have to contact when I arrive home unless you know of an email service they might have?

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you they don't have an email service unfortunately and I am in the US right now so will have to contact when I arrive home unless you know of an email service they might have?
    They don't have an email contact. However there is a section in this forum where official SF reps answer queries for a few hours a day, Tue-Thu. You'd have to wait a few days now, but it would be worth posting your query here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Make sure they know that part of your previous study was part-time.

ReputationRep:
    I think you gave me the wrong link that is for a .gov page I can't seem to find the SF reps answer page?

They don't have an email contact. However there is a section in this forum where official SF reps answer queries for a few hours a day, Tue-Thu. You'd have to wait a few days now, but it would be worth posting your query here:
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/eligibility

Make sure they know that part of your previous study was part-time.

ReputationRep:
    I think you gave me the wrong link that is for a .gov page I can't seem to find the SF reps answer page?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Apologies - will edit my post above.*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.