Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    oh wow that is an awesome score!! congrats!! How long did you practice your speed reading? did you read the passage fully? or use the scanning words method?

Thank you
    practise* better correct that before the grammar police come.

ReputationRep:
    aw thank you, how many hours did you do per a day??
    cant really tell....that was the only thing i was doing whole month hah. So yeah, morning till evening basically but not not on a very strict manner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    cant really tell....that was the only thing i was doing whole month hah. So yeah, morning till evening basically but not not on a very strict manner
    awesome and thank you!

ReputationRep:
    oh wow that is an awesome score!! congrats!! How long did you practice your speed reading? did you read the passage fully? or use the scanning words method?

Thank you
    Practised for a few months. If I remembered correctly, I speed read passages that were relatively short and easy to understand; for the longer ones I used a combination of speed reading + scanning, never had a set rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodka)
    Practised for a few months. If I remembered correctly, I speed read passages that were relatively short and easy to understand; for the longer ones I used a combination of speed reading + scanning, never had a set rule.
    yep great! wow a few months lol...I have about 2 weeks!! thank you- all of these tips help <3
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Vodka)
    Best advice I can give for VR is to start early and have a habit of reading articles that are unfamiliar to you. The Economist is probably the best source from experience. Learn how to speed read by trying not to sub-vocalise, but this takes a hell lot of time and practice to get used to.

Some last minute advice when you're doing the test:-
    - VR is your first section of your UKCAT, your heart will be racing no matter how confident you were in the mocks you did at home. Keep calm and focus!
    - Flag and skip those questions that have a long passage to read and come back later
    - Flag and skip those questions that have a passage with complex and complicated contents (passage about historical facts are the ones I hated)
    - Be aware of time, if you were planning to spend 2 minutes on a set, make sure you stick to it, unless you have some remaining time to spare.
    - Keep CALM!

Got 750 in VR last year, with an average of 770.
    Thanks for the advice, thats an awesome score!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Well...
    Today is the day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    It's my worst sub test and I can never get over 600 in it, always getting around 500-530, what can I do!?
    how did you end up doing??
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    how did you end up doing??
    Got 653.33 Band 2, VR I got 540 :/ AR 650 and QR 770, annoyed with my AR as I was getting 700 or above in mocks, in the exam I could barely see any patterns and I almost ran out of time which was crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Got 653.33 Band 2, VR I got 540 :/ AR 650 and QR 770, annoyed with my AR as I was getting 700 or above in mocks, in the exam I could barely see any patterns and I almost ran out of time which was crazy!
    653 is a good score!! esp for undergrad....

any tips on VR and AR???

Was Vr similar to medify?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    653 is a good score!! esp for undergrad....

any tips on VR and AR???

Was Vr similar to medify?
    VR was similar, there was only 1 text which I had to scroll down and that was near the end where I was running out of time so I was guessing those.

tbh AR is just luck, you can either get the easy questions or the hard questions >.<

QR I did the questions pretty slowly at first trying to get most of them right, I guessed about 6 or 7 questions. Make sure num lock is on because I was there for a good minute wondering why the darn keypad wasn't working! Lol

ReputationRep:
    VR was similar, there was only 1 text which I had to scroll down and that was near the end where I was running out of time so I was guessing those.

tbh AR is just luck, you can either get the easy questions or the hard questions >.<

QR I did the questions pretty slowly at first trying to get most of them right, I guessed about 6 or 7 questions. Make sure num lock is on because I was there for a good minute wondering why the darn keypad wasn't working! Lol
    okay thank you! I have two weeks.. eek!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.