The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the South-East the most homophobic part of England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Willdono
The midlands. Birmingham, Bradford and Leicester contain a group of people that don't like homosexuals very much.

Expand on this please.
Yes, I grew up in Essex and saw many gay guys get bullied. But then again I have no idea how the rest of England fares up
Original post by Coke1
Expand on this please.

High Muslim population in all of these areas. Opinion polls have shown that the majority of Muslims in the UK want homosexuality to be outlawed.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure about racism in Wales, but I know Wales is generally very gay friendly.

I'd heard that as well, but unfortunately I just didn't see that at all where I lived. One of my friends at school was gay and when he was forced to come out he was bullied so badly (physically and verbally) he had to move away from his family and in with another relative in Cardiff to get away from it because he said otherwise he would have killed himself. It obviously wasn't everyone, but it was more than one or two people. Even one of my other friends who I thought was kind and open-minded said she still wanted to be his friend, but couldn't support him coming out because it was wrong. She couldn't even explain why she thought it was wrong, it's just what she had been told growing up.

Sorry for the rant! Thankfully he is doing much better now, but it still upsets me thinking what he went though and I couldn't do anything about it. I lived somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the Valleys though, rather than than somewhere like Cardiff (which I've always found to be lovely!). Hopefully you're right about the rest of Wales and where I lived was the exception because it was horrible.
Reply 24
Original post by Willdono
High Muslim population in all of these areas. Opinion polls have shown that the majority of Muslims in the UK want homosexuality to be outlawed.

I'm fairly sure Muslim population is most prevalent in London and the South East.
Original post by Coke1
I'm fairly sure Muslim population is most prevalent in London and the South East.

Darker green areas = higher proportion. Although there are more in raw numbers down south, they are a higher % of the population in the midlands
(edited 7 years ago)
The most homophobic place is the place where the highest proportion of Muslims live.
I live in the South West and never suffered any homophobic comments/bullying.
Wales is not very gay-friendly. Many villages there have only one gay.
No? There's an even spread of *******s across the country.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Yes, I grew up in Essex and saw many gay guys get bullied. But then again I have no idea how the rest of England fares up

Given your homophobic opinions, it's a shame I have to assume you probably did half the bullying and stood back and laughed at the other half.

I also grew up in Essex. Saying "yes it's a homophobic part of the country" is ****ing idiotic - there are a lot of childish jack the lads and there are a lot of normal, intelligent people.
Original post by ivybridge
Given your homophobic opinions, it's a shame I have to assume you probably did half the bullying and stood back and laughed at the other half.

I also grew up in Essex. Saying "yes it's a homophobic part of the country" is ****ing idiotic - there are a lot of childish jack the lads and there are a lot of normal, intelligent people.

Shut the hell up!

I'm just answering the OPs question
Just because you're against gay marriage doesn't mean you're homophobic.
Reply 33
Original post by shanktheopps
Just because you're against gay marriage doesn't mean you're homophobic.

Most definitely does. If you have views that discriminate against a certain group of people then you are against equality, and most definitely homophobic in this case. Love is Love... No gender, No age, No disability, No race, No religion. No Labels - just love
Nah posh torys will probs say stuff behind closed doors but will be pally in person and it won't manifest itself in physical violence. Probably if you went to a inner city London council estate with a large amount of immigrants or a northern council estate is where if a gay walked down the wrong street in the wrong way and gave someone the wrong look then they would be kicked in. Then again I guess how it depends how you define homophobic
Original post by JTFrith
Most definitely does. If you have views that discriminate against a certain group of people then you are against equality, and most definitely homophobic in this case. Love is Love... No gender, No age, No disability, No race, No religion. No Labels - just love

Should a man be allowed to marry an eight year old boy then? After all, "love is love"
I live in Kent and have been to Essex many times.
As a member of the LGBT community I can say I have never been discriminated against nor have I been confronted. I think the south east does a fantastic job at accepting the community and it's a nice feeling.
Reply 37
Original post by shanktheopps
Should a man be allowed to marry an eight year old boy then? After all, "love is love"

My point was that some young people are quite ignorant and think that when you get over the age of 70 that you cannot find love still etc, and no that is not what im saying, and the fact that someone would believe that two adults of the same sex getting married is comparable to an adult and child is disgusting. As a gay man myself, maybe i should just start going round stripping heterosexual people of the right to marry one another? Oh wait, i wouldn't because im not a F***** judgemental moron #zzzzzZZZzzz
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'd be surprised if the answer wasn't up North. Many lovely, friendly people, but also have some seriously outmoded stigma! :erm:

^ this
The south-east is probably the most racially-diverse region in the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending