Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A focus on student satisfaction is a bad thing. Discuss... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Reading slides is the scourge of academic teaching.
    In the good old days they'd read off pieces of paper and write on a blackboard, everyone complained about 'chalk and talk' - IMO what's changed is that everyone now expects to be able to doze through the lecture and pick up the slides off the website when they get home rather than writing it down before the board got wiped. the lecturing isn't really any worse, but the lectures are more boring for everyone because they aren't keeping you (or the lecturer) busy.

TBH it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to make students turn up for lectures in lecture halls anymore - apart from developing transferable 'getting out of bed skills' you could do an equally good job with prerecorded videos.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    In the good old days they'd read off pieces of paper and write on a blackboard, everyone complained about 'chalk and talk' - IMO what's changed is that everyone now expects to be able to doze through the lecture and pick up the slides off the website when they get home rather than writing it down before the board got wiped. the lecturing isn't really any worse, but the lectures are more boring for everyone because they aren't keeping you (or the lecturer) busy.

TBH it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to make students turn up for lectures in lecture halls anymore - apart from developing transferable 'getting out of bed skills' you could do an equally good job with prerecorded videos.
    This!

I wish more universities would embrace the "flipped classroom" concept. Better for learning and even better for transferable skills - getting out of bed AND working with others double whammy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    They might say it's students are complaining about having to cut up their own steaks and they're used to having them cut up for them...

TBH difficult to know how seriously to take it without hearing what anyone actually said at this meeting and what evidence they produced.
    This argument used to come out a lot from my Uni when we brought up lack of feedback and interaction, the whole 'adult learners' stuff which in my opinion is a cheeky excuse for not having to do anything that I couldn't get myself if I just read a book on a subject. Either you say adult learners don't need any active teaching, in which case why are you even running a University that purports to teach and employing all these people to lecture, when you could run a library and a book list? OR you say that teaching involves engagement, feedback and interaction and stop trying to fob people off as 'adults' who somehow have 'outgrown' this.

Conflating all active elements of teaching with 'coaching' and 'spoon feeding' is a big miscategorisation error as far as I'm concerned. When you leave University and go into the world of work as a true 'adult' you'll be expected to be an independent learner but also you'll receive advice from and have discussions with colleagues, and be updated with their feedback on how you are performing.

Equally I think that if you think your lecture could be equally well delivered by somebody lying in bed watching a video on a laptop because it's just reading from slides, you need to take a long hard look at how crap your lecturing is. If anything such low value teaching is an excellent argument for assessing and responding to student satisfaction levels.

Personally I used to get really pissed off if they just put some videos online and thought that was as good as a real lecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Reading slides is the scourge of academic teaching.
    😂😂 I agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Academics and universities were not in favour of the increase in fees to £9k.

The increase to £3k came with increased funding which was partly committed to widening access to university.

The increase to £9k came with a real terms cut in funding and increased expectations. Universities were pushing for an increase in funding not an increase in fees tied to a reduced level of funding.
    The point isn't what the university wants, but the student. Previous under free tuition and cheaper rates the point was that the student wasn't really buying a product but an education.

Even with the new rates, my final two years saw price hikes with student services being cut. Free printing credit limits were reduced, direct teaching time was reduced. When I'm being told to pay more, I want more for my money. I want notes downloadable on a system that is up 90% of the time and not have an internet connection in halls and on campus that is slower than messenger pigeon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    The point isn't what the university wants, but the student. Previous under free tuition and cheaper rates the point was that the student wasn't really buying a product but an education.

Even with the new rates, my final two years saw price hikes with student services being cut. Free printing credit limits were reduced, direct teaching time was reduced. When I'm being told to pay more, I want more for my money. I want notes downloadable on a system that is up 90% of the time and not have an internet connection in halls and on campus that is slower than messenger pigeon.
    I agree! Another hate of mine, printing credits.. What am I paying £9,000 for? 🙄

ReputationRep:
    It's easy as a student to wonder why you're getting sub-par teaching when you're paying 9 grand at a decent to great university. Whilst I agree that there should be focus on bettering teaching standards, you have to understand that it isn't the primary responsibility for researchers. For one, researchers are never trained on how to teach, much less speak to a group of around 100-200 students. Their entire academic career has been solely dedicated to understanding their respective topics, and producing cutting-edge research. Having worked with researchers this past summer, they have to juggle multiple research projects, write grants and manuscripts for publication, and manage their PhD students all under deadlines. This is stressful as is, but with 200 students per modules to teach this becomes insane. Researchers now come to work, leave then go home to work some more; academia is a completely different beast to what it was 10-20 years ago. So naturally, professors and researchers are going to take a backseat with teaching and read off the slides, because it isn't their main motivation/stressor. So yes, student satisfaction is important and so is research (and the lives of researchers). We should be directing our attention towards the Vice-Chancellors.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.