The Student Room Group

I struggle making Friends

Scroll to see replies

Yeah i won't, i have a friend who is in pretty much the same situation as me so i guess i can count on her.
Original post by retro_turtles
Hola amigo!

How ya doing? :mmm:
Original post by spanker
How ya doing? :mmm:

good, how about yourself?
I have exactly the same problem. What makes things worse is that as a 41 year old guy (yes I am that old lol) I have found that people already have
their friend network sorted, and I find that people are not willing to reciprocate any pleasantries.
It also does not help that I'm not at a brick uni and although I do have a very understanding wife, it would be nice to have some friends to go out with or even just talk nonsense.
I struggle making friends,whether its the internet or real life i am horrible at it (lol i barely know anyone here) i had induction day at college today and it was awful. I talked to a few people and even almost became 'acquaintances' but then i just happened to somehow push them away. I have a few friends from my previous school with me but they are making friends and i don't wanna be like barging in on their new friend group thingy. Many of my best friends have gone to a different schools and my best friend well she is with me but we are like at completely opposite ends of the campus..idk.

Any advice?

Eh, you'll have to adapt to the environment somehow during your time at college. Why don't you slide in my DM, we'll talk it out!?
Original post by DP_flightsociety
Eh, you'll have to adapt to the environment somehow during your time at college. Why don't you slide in my DM, we'll talk it out!?

I struggle making friends,whether its the internet or real life i am horrible at it (lol i barely know anyone here) i had induction day at college today and it was awful. I talked to a few people and even almost became 'acquaintances' but then i just happened to somehow push them away. I have a few friends from my previous school with me but they are making friends and i don't wanna be like barging in on their new friend group thingy. Many of my best friends have gone to a different schools and my best friend well she is with me but we are like at completely opposite ends of the campus..idk.

Any advice?
Hi verry sorry to hear that! I didn't have many friends throughout my education but just pushed myself more & more out of my comfort zone in order to meet more people. Even now I wonder how many actually regard me as a friend rather than just an acquaintance though. Somethings just take a bit of time. Stay positive, put yourself out there, but don't get too desperate. Join clubs, volunteer etc & start conversations with people at your school to get to know them & even ask them to catch up sometime & see what they say. It is kinda trial & error though from my own experience, don't expect everyone to react positively & this isn't necessarily your fault, but how they are as people. Just keep going & I'm sure you'll find your circle soon! :h:
good, how about yourself?

Yeah not too bad, just want to go traveling again.
Original post by spanker
Yeah not too bad, just want to go traveling again.

have you been anywhere nice?
have you been anywhere nice?

Went to Hong Kong for 3 days, New Zealand for 1 year then LA and San Fransisco for a couple days.
Only been back for about 3 weeks. :/

Definitely recommend going to New Zealand though!
Original post by spanker
Went to Hong Kong for 3 days, New Zealand for 1 year then LA and San Fransisco for a couple days.
Only been back for about 3 weeks. :/

Definitely recommend going to New Zealand though!

that sounds so fun! i am not one for travelling though mainly because of the money issue.
You are not the only one, i fell like this sometimes.
that sounds so fun! i am not one for travelling though mainly because of the money issue.

People always say it's because of money, even I said it, but it is so easy to do.
Just put a little bit away each week and forget about it for a few months or even a year. It's amazing what you can do if you really want it as well, you'll just cut out on all the random drinks from shops, random foods, everything.

It's worth it, believe me :smile:
I'm currently looking to work like 70+ hours a week just so I can get some money fast to travel again. Just need to find the damn jobs first though...
Original post by spanker
People always say it's because of money, even I said it, but it is so easy to do.
Just put a little bit away each week and forget about it for a few months or even a year. It's amazing what you can do if you really want it as well, you'll just cut out on all the random drinks from shops, random foods, everything.

It's worth it, believe me :smile:
I'm currently looking to work like 70+ hours a week just so I can get some money fast to travel again. Just need to find the damn jobs first though...

Thats a hell of a lot of hours, i hope you get the money though
Thats a hell of a lot of hours, i hope you get the money though

It's all to help with getting to my goal faster so I don't mind a few months like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending