Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My brother said something bad, please help Watch

ReputationRep:
    he may have learnt to joke about it from someone else, you should talk to him and tell him it's wrong, people tend to not bother teaching teenage boys that joking about rape is wrong, and therefore they continue making jokes and it just spreads further :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My brothers are similar to yours, they watch a lot of YouTube videos and unfortunately pick up a lot of bad language. They used to throw around the word rape without actually knowing that it was a bad thing. For example one of them used to think it was the equivalent of hitting someone, like 'shut up or I'll rape you'. I've since told them that it's a bad thing and they should never think it's funny and they have now stopped. Your brother may know what it is but not that it's wrong, don't tell your mum and worry her just make it known to your brother that it's wrong.

(Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    My brothers are similar to yours, they watch a lot of YouTube videos and unfortunately pick up a lot of bad language. They used to throw around the word rape without actually knowing that it was a bad thing. For example one of them used to think it was the equivalent of hitting someone, like 'shut up or I'll rape you'. I've since told them that it's a bad thing and they should never think it's funny and they have now stopped. Your brother may know what it is but not that it's wrong, don't tell your mum and worry her just make it known to your brother that it's wrong.
    I'm freaking out, my mum just came home. I am in such a dilemma, I don't want to worry my mum but I don't know how to tackle my brother about this.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I think OP might get along quite well with this individual from yesterday... Help one another, perhaps, babez?

(Original post by JourneyToSuccess)
    Oh my god. I have no words. My SIX YEAR OLD brother just asked me "Do you like Elisha (my 2 year old little sister)?", and I just replied asking why and if he likes her, and in he said no without any thought. So I said "Why?" and you won't believe what he said. Guys I am NOT JOKING by the way, I'm not some sort of troll or anything, he actually said this. "I want to kill her with a knife." Shocked, I said "when?" and he replied "tomorrow morning". I know he's six years old and could be joking, but then he started asking me questions about prison, so things like "I won't go to jail because I am only little" and stuff like that. I'm about to tell my mum to see what she thinks. The thing is, he's never been an aggressive boy, so I'm really feeling uneasy right now.
    :troll2:

(Original post by Mimir)
    I think OP might get along quite well with this individual from yesterday... Help one another, perhaps, babez?

:troll2:
    ngl I laughed at this. I could have dealt with this more efficiently than my current one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm freaking out, my mum just came home. I am in such a dilemma, I don't want to worry my mum but I don't know how to tackle my brother about this.

Cringing in real life rn, stop being such a wet cornflake

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, just take you little brother in a room far away from your parents and just tell him that this is wrong and that it's nothing to joke about - you don't have to go in detail but maybe suggest that its consequences are similar to that of murder or something and he would get the idea. He's 11 years old so he isn't that young that he wouldn't understand you. At that age, they can easily learn what's wrong and what's right and usually it sticks with them for life.

(Original post by nada1427)
    Honestly, just take you little brother in a room far away from your parents and just tell him that this is wrong and that it's nothing to joke about - you don't have to go in detail but maybe suggest that its consequences are similar to that of murder or something and he would get the idea. He's 11 years old so he isn't that young that he wouldn't understand you. At that age, they can easily learn what's wrong and what's right and usually it sticks with them for life.
    Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.