Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Getting a hot body watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Eat less of whatever you are eating now and you will lose weight. You don't need any special diets or foods or exercise.

Fat and muscles are different things. Fat is a result of excess calories you eat hence reducing what you eat will make you lose weight. Muscle building is a result of overloading your muscles so it grows to compensate for the increased load. You can eat fewer calories and exercise to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
    Yea! What he/she said !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bostima)
    That's wrong sorry. If you're at a caloric deficit you will lose fat and a bit of muscle, if you're at a caloric surplus you will gain muscle and a bit of fat (you need to exercise to gain muscle though, otherwise you will only gain fat).
    You have obviously not seen any body builders who are both muscular and lean. If you are right, body builders would be very fat and you won't see any muscles due to a layer of subcutaneous fat.

You won't gain any muscle if you are only in calorie surplus if you don't overload the muscle. You only gain muscle from calories surplus without overloading the muscle if you are seriously underweight and have lost muscle due to starvation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can't cut down any less food, I've already been doing that and I'm at a point where when I try to cut any more it makes me dizzy and gives me headaches because I don't have enough. I want to look better but I'm not that desperate that I'm going to literally starve myself because that's unhealthy
    If you are really starving yourself, you would lose weight. Your BMI is healthy so there is no need to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Weight/resistance training is the way to go for this. You don't need a gym, start off with bodyweight squats, dumbbell deadlifts etc. Also just watch what you eat, your goals are very realistic so don't start a crazy boring diet but eat healthy and enough to lose a pound a week.

ReputationRep:
    I've got one word for you, well, three actually;

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio...

30mins+ (don't do anything less than 30mins) on a treadmill three times a week but that's not all. You need to factor in a couple of other essential ingredients to loose that weight and these are diet and patience/perseverance. Cut down on snacks, fatty foods and carbs and importantly stay the course. Nothing worth getting comes easy and quick.

(Original post by CookieButter)

30mins+ (don't do anything less than 30mins) on a treadmill three times a week but that's not all. You need to factor in a couple of other essential ingredients to loose that weight and these are diet and patience/perseverance. Cut down on snacks, fatty foods and carbs and importantly stay the course. Nothing worth getting comes easy and quick.
    Would a cross trainer or bike work instead of a treadmill? I don't have access to a treadmill. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Would a cross trainer or bike work instead of a treadmill? I don't have access to a treadmill. Thank you
    Yes! Absolutely. Even a stepper would work but of course steppers are not going to be as affective in burning those calories as a treadmill. You want to exercise with moderate to vigorous intensity and you need to be consistent throughout the exercise and you should be sweating come end of session.*

ReputationRep:

Imo you won't get a 'hot' body doing cardio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrhedgehog)
    Imo you won't get a 'hot' body doing cardio
    She wants to loose weight. For the ladies, being hot is being slim so its just a matter of loosing weight. Cardio is all she needs really.*

If I were to add one thing to the Cardio for the ladies, to get that six pac, I would say three sets of 10 sit-ups (with a minute's worth of break in between each set) also three times a week before the cardio, but she is not looking for a six pac or muscles I don't think, she's just wanting to loose half a stone.

For guys its different. If you want to look hot as a guy excerise is a lot more complicated. Cardio is enough to loose fat but not enough to gain that ripped to the socks physique.*

ReputationRep:
    She wants to loose weight. For the ladies, being hot is being slim so its just a matter of loosing weight. Cardio is all she needs really.*

If I were to add one thing to the Cardio for the ladies, to get that six pac, I would say three sets of 10 sit-ups (with a minute's worth of break in between each set) also three times a week before the cardio, but she is not looking for a six pac or muscles I don't think, she's just wanting to loose half a stone.

For guys its different. If you want to look hot as a guy excerise is a lot more complicated. Cardio is enough to loose fat but not enough to gain that ripped to the socks physique.*
    Fair enough but as female she is not going to build a lot of muscle immediately anyway. I'm just recommending high intensity weight training because its more fun and a much quicker way to lose weight, plus posture will improve a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I can't cut down any less food, I've already been doing that and I'm at a point where when I try to cut any more it makes me dizzy and gives me headaches because I don't have enough. I want to look better but I'm not that desperate that I'm going to literally starve myself because that's unhealthy
    Squats and situps gurrrlllll

ReputationRep:
    I want to look better but I'm not that desperate that I'm going to literally starve myself because that's unhealthy

Good for you!

First things first, you're at a healthy weight for your height so you're well ahead of the pack to start with. Your target weight of nine and a half stone is not unrealisticand still healthy, so why not? The important thing is that you continue to eat properly and healthily.There are a myriad of diet regimes out there ranging from the good to the bad to the downright dangerous, choose with care and take things slowly. Don't skip breakfast.
    There is likely to be one thing you can do which lets you down. With me, as a night owl, I had a weakness for a doorstep sandwich in the wee small hours which I then slept on...not good. I cut it out with the "after eight", nothing after dinner.Take a look at how/what you eat and adjust accordingly, little changes can make a big difference. Forget the bulking up and slimming down thing, that applies to heavy weights.

In terms of the "hot body": females naturally carry more subcutaneous fat than men, to have a sculpted athletes body a la Jess Ennis you would have to cut your body fat to an extreme degree for a normal lifestyle - so probably forget the six pack. That being said, there's nothing wrong with tightening up what you've got. A mixture of cardio [never forget, sweat is fat crying] and some light compound exercises with your weights and kettle bells - goblet squats, etc, should see you right. There are options and full body workouts with six or eight exercises all over the internet. Don't forget a rest day[s] to let your body recover.
    As a daily core set you may find the 5 Tibetans useful, again they are all over the internet [most people do a standing twist variation of the first one which you'll also find online]. Twenty one is the "magic number", but you'll probably have to work up to that, takes me ten/fifteen minutes a day. As a gym instructor I can guarantee that, although you may not have attained your perfect figure, after a month you will see a BIG difference - and as a bonus it also lets you humblebrag about your "daily yoga routine" - what's not to like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You have obviously not seen any body builders who are both muscular and lean. If you are right, body builders would be very fat and you won't see any muscles due to a layer of subcutaneous fat.

You won't gain any muscle if you are only in calorie surplus if you don't overload the muscle. You only gain muscle from calories surplus without overloading the muscle if you are seriously underweight and have lost muscle due to starvation.
    Except bodybuilders are on all kinds of steroids, which makes it possible to make gains without putting on too much fat. Anyway you don't know anything about bodybuilding. Bodybuilders bulk for months (and gain fat in the process, and therefore lose muscle definition) and then cut for weeks before a contest (to get down to sub 8% bodyfat to have good muscle definition).

Lee Priest (famous bodybuilder) attached as an example.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I think what OP needs is an ability to see the positives and to love oneself, the things she has at home are enough for setting fitness targets. Aesthetic targets are poorly defined most of the time and can lead to obsessive behaviours regarding exercise

ReputationRep:
    Except bodybuilders are on all kinds of steroids, which makes it possible to make gains without putting on too much fat. Anyway you don't know anything about bodybuilding. Bodybuilders bulk for months (and gain fat in the process, and therefore lose muscle definition) and then cut for weeks before a contest (to get down to sub 8% bodyfat to have good muscle definition).

Lee Priest (famous bodybuilder) attached as an example.
    Whats to stop the OP doing the same thing and get fatter then thinner? Anyway, lots of athletics in the Olympics look really muscular and they get tested for steroids so your argument you have to use steroids to get that way is disproved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Whats to stop the OP doing the same thing and get fatter then thinner? Anyway, lots of athletics in the Olympics look really muscular and they get tested for steroids so your argument you have to use steroids to get that way is disproved.
    Did you not read my reply? You don't need steroids to look muscular, it's just quicker if you take them. Olympics athletes have been training most of their lives so obviously they will look muscular, even if they're not on steroids...

ReputationRep:
    Did you not read my reply? You don't need steroids to look muscular, it's just quicker if you take them. Olympics athletes have been training most of their lives so obviously they will look muscular, even if they're not on steroids...
    There are also "natural" body builders who are not suppose to use drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    There are also "natural" body builders who are not suppose to use drugs.
    Yes, and look at the size of them compared to non-natural bodybuilders.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and look at the size of them compared to non-natural bodybuilders.
    I doubt the OP wants to be a body builder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I doubt the OP wants to be a body builder.
    You brought bodybuilders to the table, not me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.