Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

High salary and honest people, is it possible? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)
    Bingo! That's exactly the IT consultant's starter salary.
    well yeah, i mean it is pretty ****EN great, it is fairly high grad salary, but a lot of people suggest that in London that salary is more akin to 10k up north.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's possible!

My dad is an IT manager, is very well paid, and is completely honest. I did work experience at his work and everyone was lovely, even when I messed up somebody's code so they had to reboot their system They're all currently sponsoring me for running for GOSH as well, so they're not all money-hungry and evil!

There are awful people in all careers, though generally if you're nice, people won't want to backstab you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not sure if sarcasm.
    It probably is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel58)
    Of course it's possible!

My dad is an IT manager, is very well paid, and is completely honest. I did work experience at his work and everyone was lovely, even when I messed up somebody's code so they had to reboot their system They're all currently sponsoring me for running for GOSH as well, so they're not all money-hungry and evil!

There are awful people in all careers, though generally if you're nice, people won't want to backstab you.

plz giv me enturnship gud sur

ReputationRep:
    In order to not skew anyone's views on what I think are crappy people, here's what I think is crappy behavior:

- wanting to leave the office I am in as soon as possible for no good reason (I'm a quiet person, sorry if I don't talk to you), not even saying good morning to me, pulling weird condescending faces at me like I'm some socially inept case
    - declining your invitation when you ask them to go for a quick bite for lunch, only accepting it if multiple people go (what's wrong with going with me alone? Am I not cool?)
    - not taking seriously anything I say, often mocking me
    - making stupid, unacceptable jokes
    - stigmatizing poor people (that makes me really angry because I'm poor myself) and even worse, calling them dumb
    - talking alllllllllllllllll day long about their stupid salaries, their lame cars and the options to get for their cars
    - not letting me know about events they go to, making me feel invisible
    - moving away from me as far as possible during meetings (that is hugely offensive), never picking me to do group work (they quickly run to their buddy during programming challenges)

Bah, the list goes on but I think I made my point.
    I'm talking about my internship at the large corporation (that same one with all the successful consultants). Boy, that was a horrid experience. I'm sure you would not feel welcome like this.

ReputationRep:
    In order to not skew anyone's views on what I think are crappy people, here's what I think is crappy behavior:

- wanting to leave the office I am in as soon as possible for no good reason (I'm a quiet person, sorry if I don't talk to you), not even saying good morning to me, pulling weird condescending faces at me like I'm some socially inept case
    - declining your invitation when you ask them to go for a quick bite for lunch, only accepting it if multiple people go (what's wrong with going with me alone? Am I not cool?)
    - not taking seriously anything I say, often mocking me
    - making stupid, unacceptable jokes
    - stigmatizing poor people (that makes me really angry because I'm poor myself) and even worse, calling them dumb
    - talking alllllllllllllllll day long about their stupid salaries, their lame cars and the options to get for their cars
    - not letting me know about events they go to, making me feel invisible
    - moving away from me as far as possible during meetings (that is hugely offensive), never picking me to do group work (they quickly run to their buddy during programming challenges)

Bah, the list goes on but I think I made my point.
    I'm talking about my internship at the large corporation (that same one with all the successful consultants). Boy, that was a horrid experience. I'm sure you would not feel welcome like this.
    And why do you care, like surely you're there to pay the bills and that's it?

ReputationRep:
    I recommend Goldman Sachs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IronicalMan)
    And why do you care, like surely you're there to pay the bills and that's it?
    No, I want the full package. I want to do a job that I love, so that I can further complete my path of happiness.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, I want the full package. I want to do a job that I love, so that I can further complete my path of happiness.
    Sounds like an entitlement complex tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought IT people are the nerdy types that sit down in a dark room to code computers all day long. But then I might be wrong because there are all those people with shiny titles in the IT sector such as IT Managers

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably stay away from banking if I were you. Why not medicine? It's hard but it's pretty much the only job I've shard of which has both the things you asked for.

ReputationRep:
    Big tech company (google, facebook, uber etc) or startup. Good luck passing the CV screen and interview questions though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    😂😂😂😂 Silicon Valley/big tech corporations are possibly the last places you want to work if you want to avoid the overly ambitious soulless corporate monkeys.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    😂😂😂😂 Silicon Valley/big tech corporations are possibly the last places you want to work if you want to avoid the overly ambitious soulless corporate monkeys.
    Have you worked in one? Do you know anyone working in one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you worked in one? Do you know anyone working in one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Recently got "engaged" by a Silicon Valley start up. They first offered equity for my work as a consultant but I asked for cash up front instead (I'm not an idiot) which they agreed to but then never materialised. The very definition of untrustworthy/dishonest.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Recently got "engaged" by a Silicon Valley start up. They first offered equity for my work as a consultant but I asked for cash up front instead (I'm not an idiot) which they agreed to but then never materialised. The very definition of untrustworthy/dishonest.
    Loooooool ok, so you got mugged off by a startup and now all big tech company/unicorn startup workers are drones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Loooooool ok, so you got mugged off by a startup and now all big tech company/unicorn startup workers are drones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The founders have backgrounds from the big tech companies: too dumb to do their own work, too dishonest to pay someone else to do it...

ReputationRep:
    Might have been unlucky in your placement - sales can be full of spouters, engineers are usually pretty honest though. if you don't like being in the office maybe some sort of field service job unrelated to sales would be better (and bring a company car)

largely sounds like you're being a bit unrealistic though, maybe get a hobby to make you happy.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Besides you are a wannabe corporate drone, hence not exactly likely to have a balanced view.

ReputationRep:
    I would consider watching Mr. Robot for inspiration on your future career path.

SS

ReputationRep:
    And what, exactly, is wrong with being proud of your salary? These people have worked their backsides off to earn the high wages they do, let them flaunt it all they like for all I care.

Same with being Conservative - if you're earning a large amount of money, why would you want the government to steal a significant proportion of it and spend it on nonsense such as welfare payments and foreign aid? Right-wing parties and Trump are the way to go, if you care about your money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.