Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you guys want your mind blown? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    ye cuz its menna look like a happy face and whatnot
    Why do the digital watches have it then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vividly clear)
    Why do the digital watches have it then?
    cause they just stuck with the time that they'd been using on analogue clocks, since there's no way to achieve the happy face effect on a digital clock

ReputationRep:
    cause they just stuck with the time that they'd been using on analogue clocks, since there's no way to achieve the happy face effect on a digital clock
    Keep thinking that way LOL

You sound like one of those people who believe elections matter

ReputationRep:
    Keep thinking that way LOL

You sound like one of those people who believe elections matter
    ...did i hit a nerve or something? wtf is wrong with you weirdo.

ReputationRep:
    ...did i hit a nerve or something? wtf is wrong with you weirdo.
    I'm not weird.

You're just naive.

ReputationRep:
    Here are actual reasons before this thread devolves into pure ad hominem..

The 10:10 position gives the clock or watch a number of benefits:
    • The hands are not overlapping, so they're fully and clearly visible and their styling can be admired.
    • The arrangement of the hands is symmetrical, which people generally find more pleasant than asymmetry, making the product more appealing to customers.
    • The manufacturer's logo, usually in the centre of the face under the 12, is not only visible but nicely framed by the hands.
    Additional elements on the face (like date windows or secondary dials), usually placed near the 3, 6, or 9, won't be obscured.
    • According to Timex (who set their products at 10:09:36 exactly), the standard setting used to be 8:20, but this made the face look like it was frowning. To make the products look "happier," the setting was flipped into a smile (occasionally, you'll still see the 8:20 setting on some clocks or watches where the manufacturer's logo is at bottom of the face above the 6).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Here are actual reasons before this thread devolves into pure ad hominem..

The 10:10 position gives the clock or watch a number of benefits:
    • The hands are not overlapping, so they're fully and clearly visible and their styling can be admired.
    • The arrangement of the hands is symmetrical, which people generally find more pleasant than asymmetry, making the product more appealing to customers.
    • The manufacturer's logo, usually in the centre of the face under the 12, is not only visible but nicely framed by the hands.
    Additional elements on the face (like date windows or secondary dials), usually placed near the 3, 6, or 9, won't be obscured.
    • According to Timex (who set their products at 10:09:36 exactly), the standard setting used to be 8:20, but this made the face look like it was frowning. To make the products look "happier," the setting was flipped into a smile (occasionally, you'll still see the 8:20 setting on some clocks or watches where the manufacturer's logo is at bottom of the face above the 6).

You googling for the answer won't help you.

Why do they use the exact same time for digital clocks then?

Do they want a smiley symmetrical non over-lapping arrangement for digital clocks?

ReputationRep:
    You googling for the answer won't help you.

Why do they use the exact same time for digital clocks then?

Do they want a smiley symmetrical non over-lapping arrangement for digital clocks?
    It literally has helped me. They use the exact same time for digital clocks as is tradition - what other time do you propose? Why should they use a different time? You seem quite salty about such a mundane topic. I'm not surprised that you're a conspiracy nut - probably the kind to utter the phrase "wake up sheeple".

ReputationRep:
    It literally has helped me. They use the exact same time for digital clocks as is tradition - what other time do you propose? Why should they use a different time? You seem quite salty about such a mundane topic. I'm not surprised that you're a conspiracy nut - probably the kind to utter the phrase "wake up sheeple".
    So you claim that clocks use the exact same time in every watch advertisement for aesthetic purposes and the reason they use the same time for digital clocks is because it's the same time they use for analogue clocks and you're calling me the nut?

LOL

ReputationRep:
    So you claim that clocks use the exact same time in every watch advertisement for aesthetic purposes and the reason they use the same time for digital clocks is because it's the same time they use for analogue clocks and you're calling me the nut?

LOL
    You didn't answer the only two questions I asked in my reply, I guess that says it all really. Have fun in la la land.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't answer the only two questions I asked in my reply, I guess that says it all really. Have fun in la la land.
    They can use anytime in available, I just find it funny how watches can use the same time in all their watches for both their analogue and digital watch ads and you see nothing suspicious in it.

You can go back to worshipping celebrities and updating your social media accounts you putz

ReputationRep:
    They can use anytime in available, I just find it funny how watches can use the same time in all their watches for both their analogue and digital watch ads and you see nothing suspicious in it.

You have fun in a rave you celebrity worshipping putz
    Isn't this the part where you're supposed to tell me to wake up and that I'm a sheep?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this the part where you're supposed to tell me to wake up and that I'm a sheep?
    From what I've seen today, you're obviously another walking zombie who does need to wake up, but I'm not the one to tell you.

I have better things to do like shampoo my hair

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen today, you're obviously another walking zombie who does need to wake up, but I'm not the one to tell you.

I have better things to do like shampoo my hair
    Okay thank you, and good luck.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.