Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    I agree i think but I haven't done this topic before so bare with (I'm going onto 2nd year a level chemistry).
    n2 + 3h2 --> 2nh3
    mole fraction of nh3 = 0.15
    mole fraction of n2 = 0.25 - (0.15/4) = 0.2125
    mole fraction of h2 = 0.75 - 3(0.15/4) = 0.6375
    Pa of nh3 = 1500
    Pa of n2 = 2125
    Pa of h2 = 6375
    Kp = (1500)^2/(2125) x (6375)^3 = 4.08679653e-9 I hope this helps. Happy to explain
    I think I got that but the answer is 0.99 close to 1. Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    But that question only gives you the partial pressure whereas the question I'm doing now gives you hints about the inital moles and moles at equilibrium here is the explanation
    I have actually done that already but I don't know how to work out the mole of ammonia so my equilibrium moles for the reactants are wrong. If I am using the values 0.25 and 0.75 for my 1:3 ratio, it wouldn't work as 3/2 of 0.9 is 1.35
    Yeah I have no idea how they got to that answer.

Just to check I'm not being silly, is it just me or does their reaction mixture at equilibrium contain 29% ammonia? 0.9/3.1 is definitely not 15%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)

Just to check I'm not being silly, is it just me or does their reaction mixture at equilibrium contain 29% ammonia? 0.9/3.1 is definitely not 15%.
    Yeah I think that explanation is wrong. At one point it says the total equilibrium moles is 6 and then at the end they say it's 3.1!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)

I don't really understand it but I thought 0.9 is 15% of 6 instead of 3.1? I guess the problem lays within the values I use, I think only 1 and 3 will work. Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand it but I thought 0.9 is 15% of 6 instead of 3.1? I guess the problem lays within the values I use, I think only 1 and 3 will work. Thanks though

Can I just say that the mole fraction for nh3 must be 0.15 as it's 15%. Are you sure 0.99 is the answer? I'm pretty sure that explanation in the red text is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    Can I just say that the mole fraction for nh3 must be 0.15 as it's 15%. Are you sure 0.99 is the answer? I'm pretty sure that explanation in the red text is wrong.
    Opps , the answer is 3.156 x 10-3kPa-2, I didn't scroll down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)

3.156 x 10-3kPa-2 is the right answer, soz I misread

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.