Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ,

ReputationRep:
    By the way I just wanted to ask becuase I searched up on ucas for which universities would accept me with my GCSE grades and the information I found was different from what you said. Why is this and where about did you get yours from regarding unis like aberdeen becuase I am interested as I would like to refer to it from time to time?

ReputationRep:
    hi guys so i got 7 A'S 4B's, my a's= biol, chem, english lit, maths, r.e, french and german. my b's= welsh, english lang, sociology, physics. im resitting english lang (just had the 1st exam this morning i was only 4 marks off an A in my summer exam), chem, biol, welsh and soc. i want to get a stars in my chem and bi. but considering my current gcse results, are they good enough for a good uni such as kings? for medicine. any help would be appreciative, im really worried.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by heliya)
    hi guys so i got 7 A'S 4B's, my a's= biol, chem, english lit, maths, r.e, french and german. my b's= welsh, english lang, sociology, physics. im resitting english lang (just had the 1st exam this morning i was only 4 marks off an A in my summer exam), chem, biol, welsh and soc. i want to get a stars in my chem and bi. but considering my current gcse results, are they good enough for a good uni such as kings? for medicine. any help would be appreciative, im really worried.
    I honestly would not bother resitting your GCSEs, you are very unlikely to have the new resit grades looked at by medical schools as a lot of them will require you to have sat the GCSEs within 2 years during secondary school. Hence the new resit grades wont be included and its a lot of wasted time which you could spend focussing on Alevels.

Your GCSE grades are good! dont think they are not, 7A's and 4Bs is below average for a medical school applicant but there are many universities which would accept your grades.
    You would just need to avoid GCSE heavy universities such as QUB, Oxford, KCL, Cardiff, Birmingham, Edinburgh. and only apply to certain universities if your UKCAT is amazing such as leicester, HYMS, UEA and nottingham.

Many medical schools will not look at GCSEs as much and you will just have to direct your applications to those schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I honestly would not bother resitting your GCSEs, you are very unlikely to have the new resit grades looked at by medical schools as a lot of them will require you to have sat the GCSEs within 2 years during secondary school. Hence the new resit grades wont be included and its a lot of wasted time which you could spend focussing on Alevels.

Your GCSE grades are good! dont think they are not, 7A's and 4Bs is below average for a medical school applicant but there are many universities which would accept your grades.
    You would just need to avoid GCSE heavy universities such as QUB, Oxford, KCL, Cardiff, Birmingham, Edinburgh. and only apply to certain universities if your UKCAT is amazing such as leicester, HYMS, UEA and nottingham.

Many medical schools will not look at GCSEs as much and you will just have to direct your applications to those schools.
    hiya sorry for the late reply. i am definitely resitting chemistry in jan because ive paid, i was hoping to wait until march to decide if i want to resit biol in summer because thats when i get my chem results but the summer resit form deadline is in jan, im going to resit welsh because its not really time consuming and i know its not an important subject but it will look good i get one more extra A, (i was only 2 marks off an a). i ideally hope to get a's and a*'s just 1 b which will be physics. i will have to email the unis i want to get into if they accept resits, i do want to get into a good uni like cardiff but my teacher has already clarified that i wont get accepted. i am extremely worried for my future... idk what to do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by heliya)
    hiya sorry for the late reply. i am definitely resitting chemistry in jan because ive paid, i was hoping to wait until march to decide if i want to resit biol in summer because thats when i get my chem results but the summer resit form deadline is in jan, im going to resit welsh because its not really time consuming and i know its not an important subject but it will look good i get one more extra A, (i was only 2 marks off an a). i ideally hope to get a's and a*'s just 1 b which will be physics. i will have to email the unis i want to get into if they accept resits, i do want to get into a good uni like cardiff but my teacher has already clarified that i wont get accepted. i am extremely worried for my future... idk what to do.
    The issue is unless you have extenuating circumstances for your GCSEs often resits after leaving high school are not accepted by the medical schools. This is purely down to competition, there are to many people applying for so few places that they need to exclude people some how, and hence why the system is so cut throat allowing 1 attempt only for GCSE and A2 levels unless circumstances are stated.

I am afraid Cardiff (this is my medical school) require 5A*s or more usually to gain an interview, so you will likely have to rule this one out. Your best bet is looking for universities which will accept your lower grades, there will be some out there you will just have to look around.

There are many ways to get into medicine, such as foundation programmes or going in as a graduate. if you are dead set on Cardiff they have great grad entry schemes if you cannot get in from school. beware though this is very expensive, very competitive and not the best option unless you really cannot get into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is still a possibility so don't give up yet! You could still apply providing you get AAAA/AAAB at AS level and then get predictions of AAA+. But you would need to apply strategically, for example focus on universities that are UKCAT/BMAT or personal statement heavy. You wouldn't have a chance if you applied to universities such as Birmingham as 70% of their consideration when awarding interviews is on GCSEs. But places like Bristol that basically chose based on personal statement might be more suited, or Sheffield/Southampton who simply rank based on UKCAT scores.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is a pretty vocational subject, so if you think/know that it is what you want to do, don't let your GCSE results hold you back. There are many options to 'get into medicine' such as graduate entry, doing a course such as Biomed that allows you to apply to transfer after 1/2 years or an access course after your A Levels, which often have lower GCSE requirements. If medicine is really what you want to do, you will find a way

ReputationRep:
    Where is this document you speak of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i got 2A* 2A 1B and 4Cs should i consider applying. im in lower sixth doing maths, chem, phys and bio and i am predicted all As in AS

ReputationRep:
    Good luck - Natalieerm2707 has given you the info you need. Don't give up - just be aware of the weaknesses for your application and avoid the GCSE unis.

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 A*s , 5 As and 4 Bs at GCSE plus a C for AS level creative writing.
    I'm getting chem remarked as it's 1 mark off an A* and english language as it's 5 marks off a 7. My teachers thinks it's highly likely that it will go up a grade.

Do you think it's good enough for medicine?

I will try very hard for A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaditim)
    I got 2 A*s , 5 As and 4 Bs at GCSE plus a C for AS level creative writing.
    I'm getting chem remarked as it's 1 mark off an A* and english language as it's 5 marks off a 7. My teachers thinks it's highly likely that it will go up a grade.

Do you think it's good enough for medicine?

I will try very hard for A levels.
    I say go for it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.