Experimenting on non human primates?

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Well, your very existence is constantly killing animals and other living things, so you've obviously decided your life is more important than billions of organisms.
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Being intelligent isn't what gives humans their value or dignity. Otherwise, a smart person would have more worth than someone not as clever.

For example, children arn't less important than adults.

SS
    Right so what would you say gives humans their value or dignity if not their intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canyou)
    I also wish humans wouldn't feel they have the right to destroy an animal because there are plenty of that same species around.
    Right but there is a difference between hunting something for food and killing other species simply because they're in our way.For example its more ethical to kill a cow than to kill a tiger for its parts.Tiger parts are used in chinese medicine and has no benefits.Cows have the obvious benefit of providing food.So its more justified to kill a cow for food than to kill a tiger or a great ape.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly its a necessary sacrifice to prevent harmful human testing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it all comes down individuality. Some here see animals as less significant than humans (something I think we all have a predilection to thinking whether we admit it or not), and some don't. It's really to do with the idea of consent, something that ultimately non-human primates cannot do. We can consent to testing, but it's just unlikely that we will do so, which is why we do not see such testing at any great significance.

Although non-human primate testing may be helpful in the long-run for preventing the deaths of us from, for example, a disease that the cure has been found through non-human primate testing - but this is in the long run and involves an extent of blinkering out a degree of animal abuse that sadly mostly happens in scenarios in which a risky degree of animal experimentation is involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Right so what would you say gives humans their value or dignity if not their intelligence?
    Certainly difficult to say if you believe humans are just animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebulated)
    I believe it all comes down individuality. Some here see animals as less significant than humans (something I think we all have a predilection to thinking whether we admit it or not), and some don't. It's really to do with the idea of consent, something that ultimately non-human primates cannot do. We can consent to testing, but it's just unlikely that we will do so, which is why we do not see such testing at any great significance.

Although non-human primate testing may be helpful in the long-run for preventing the deaths of us from, for example, a disease that the cure has been found through non-human primate testing - but this is in the long run and involves an extent of blinkering out a degree of animal abuse that sadly mostly happens in scenarios in which a risky degree of animal experimentation is involved.
    I certainly think some animals are less significant.For example I dont hold a rat or a worms life to be worth much.But I think that as you climb the ladder and animals become more intelligent and have more capacity for suffering then I hold their lives to have greater value.So I would place high value on a great ape or a dolphin or an elephant or a whales life.I guess it comes down to have much conciousness you believe an animal to have really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Certainly difficult to say if you believe humans are just animals.
    Humans are just animals.Intelligent animals but still animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    I certainly think some animals are less significant.For example I dont hold a rat or a worms life to be worth much.But I think that as you climb the ladder and animals become more intelligent and have more capacity for suffering then I hold their lives to have greater value.So I would place high value on a great ape or a dolphin or an elephant or a whales life.I guess it comes down to have much conciousness you believe an animal to have really.
    Yes I would tend to agree with you maybe in everyday life but not in theory I wouldn't. I think that all animals have a purpose (I'm not talking religiously) which for me takes precedence over how intelligent they are. When it comes to survival or protecting myself, sure, I would in my defence therefore be valuing my life over another creature (or human) but as general practice I wouldn't hold the life of a worm, for example, over that of a human (or in this case, a primate). Most people, and indeed society, would disagree with me here which is where the contention arrives but so be it. It's all a matter of personal philosophy, I agree with you

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.