Is the dream of studying medicine over? Bad A2 Results - Extenuating Circumstances?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Ah ok. Yeh give them a shot, if you are in any doubt email the admissions tutors and they usually respond fairly quickly. I think Exeter has an A*AA offer tho, so bear that in mind. Have you taken the UKCAT yet?
    Thanks. Do I tell the admissions tutors my exact circumstances (that I was anaemic)? I have my UKCAT 2 weeks from today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmac123455)
    Thanks. Do I tell the admissions tutors my exact circumstances (that I was anaemic)? I have my UKCAT 2 weeks from today.
    I'm not sure. if you mention you have and can prove extenuating circumstances see what they say. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I did fairly well in my AS Levels (AABB) and was predicted quite high for my A2's (A*AA), but ended up getting BBC on results day. Then my parents made me get them remarked and the C went down by 12 ums to a D - now I have BBD.

Although I didn't receive any offers for medicine last year (due to weak UKCAT and not enough work experience), I was hoping that I would have achieved the predicted grades and then re-applied.

I'm taking a gap year this year to resit as I know I was capable of those predicted grades. I was quite sick for the majority of last year as I was anaemic and was so tired and could barely concentrate in any of my lessons. I was put on medication after I took a blood test in early 2016. Everytime I was revising I felt like nothing was going in and I was trying so hard. Do I qualify for extenuating circumstances?

Is there any chance of me studying medicine now. Or should I just resit and study something else, and then apply as a graduate.

I had seen that Exeter do not discriminate against resit students, regardless of extenuating circumstances. I know a few other universities do allow resits only with extenuating circumstances.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Most Med Schools will say that you should have applied for extenuating circumstances at the time you sat your A2s, and are unlikely to accept them as a reason for your low A2 grades/resits at this stage, I'm afraid. You can contact the admissions teams of any Unis you are particularly interested in, but I would do this BEFORE you apply to ensure they will accept your circumstances.
    However, there are some Med Schools that are happy to accept A levels taken over 3 years without extenuating circumstances. I am not sure how up to date I am, but it certainly used to be: Liverpool, UEA, BSMS, Exeter, Plymouth. Some want you to have got higher grades than you did first time round, and some (most) expect you to get A* in any subjects you resit.
    I suspect you may be better taking this year to resit and then having a gap year and applying with achieved grades, as trying to research all this, study for BMAT, if you decide to sit this, keep up WE/extracurriculars, etc as well as work for A2s may jeopardise your grades again.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GANFYD)
    Most Med Schools will say that you should have applied for extenuating circumstances at the time you sat your A2s, and are unlikely to accept them as a reason for your low A2 grades/resits at this stage, I'm afraid. You can contact the admissions teams of any Unis you are particularly interested in, but I would do this BEFORE you apply to ensure they will accept your circumstances.
    However, there are some Med Schools that are happy to accept A levels taken over 3 years without extenuating circumstances. I am not sure how up to date I am, but it certainly used to be: Liverpool, UEA, BSMS, Exeter, Plymouth. Some want you to have got higher grades than you did first time round, and some (most) expect you to get A* in any subjects you resit.
    I suspect you may be better taking this year to resit and then having a gap year and applying with achieved grades, as trying to research all this, study for BMAT, if you decide to sit this, keep up WE/extracurriculars, etc as well as work for A2s may jeopardise your grades again.
    Good luck
    The only one that doesn't mind resits is Exeter now. The others say that you need to have gotten ABB the first time. I will try emailing the universities and see what they say. Otherwise I'll try to get as good grades as I can this year and then study Biochemistry or Biomedical science at university (I'm going to have to deal with it for 3 years).

ReputationRep:
    Did you fill in the extenuating circumstances form and present it to the board?

Make a phone call to the universities and explain your circumstances to them to see if they would accept results

Remove all of the universities that won't accept resits

Secondly I would focus this year on your resits and when it comes to filling UCAS form, use the 5th choice for biomedical route. Could you think about the 6 year medical route?

Good luck with your application

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeddyBear86)
    Did you fill in the extenuating circumstances form and present it to the board?

Make a phone call to the universities and explain your circumstances to them to see if they would accept results

Remove all of the universities that won't accept resits

Secondly I would focus this year on your resits and when it comes to filling UCAS form, use the 5th choice for biomedical route. Could you think about the 6 year medical route?

Good luck with your application

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
    No, at the time I didn't know that such thing existed. I'm trying to email KCL for both their normal 5 year course and their EMDP 6 year course, Leicester and maybe Manchester. Yeah, I think I might apply for biomed at Queen Mary.

2016 has been the worst year ever!

ReputationRep:
    The dream really is over now. My careers advisor said it's not worth applying to medicine this year. He told me to go and find something else to study that would let me go and study GEM after.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice for what I should do now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice for what I should do now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Achieve the required grades and apply next year then take a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Achieve the required grades and apply next year then take a gap year.
    Not willing to take 2 gap years. I need to go to uni now. I'm gonna have to work my ass off for biomed or biochem and then try for GEM. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Not willing to take 2 gap years. I need to go to uni now. I'm gonna have to work my ass off for biomed or biochem and then try for GEM. :cry:
    But that will take you 3 years, and admissions is even more crazy competitive for GEM.
    Why don't you apply for alternative courses and if you get the grades for medicine, then consider another gap year, as you will still be ahead of the game compared to taking another degree?

ReputationRep:
    But that will take you 3 years, and admissions is even more crazy competitive for GEM.
    Why don't you apply for alternative courses and if you get the grades for medicine, then consider another gap year, as you will still be ahead of the game compared to taking another degree?
    I'll consider it, but even if I do get the grades it's not guaranteed I'll get into medicine unfortunately (because of interviews). I might try and apply abroad too.

ReputationRep:
    Guess I have to withdraw from the UKCAT now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get your money back it may be worth sitting it anyway to get a feel of it as apparently scores improve the next time you take it in a lot of cases. Plus if you get a good score it could boost your confidence.

ReputationRep:
    If I did get the grades next year, wouldn't it still limit the universities I could apply to as most still expect A levels to be done within 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    If you can't get your money back it may be worth sitting it anyway to get a feel of it as apparently scores improve the next time you take it in a lot of cases. Plus if you get a good score it could boost your confidence.
    I guess so. I feel like I might as well just apply to exeter and then 4 other courses. Who knows? I might get really lucky. And thanks btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    I wish mine did!! went from 725 to 697!! gutted lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebally)
    I wish mine did!! went from 725 to 697!! gutted lol
    No way! where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    No way! where are you applying?
    UEA or Bristol are the only ones where I can meet the criteria currently!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, everything else still said earlier in the thread will still apply, but with the required grades (likely to be A*AA at least) then there may well be 5 or 6 medical schools that would look at your application

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.