Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being one of the few black people in your year Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maninblack00)
    Yea I'm happy with my friends and I'm also from London too - around the Bromley area which is mostly white - and I'm happy and enjoy my friends. You're right when you say you can only talk about certain things when you're not with people from the same background lol
    My hair for example is the first thing that I just cannot talk about to my white friends, I do love them but they just don't understand lol. It's annoying that some people in this thread are taking this to mean something that's discriminatory, maybe that's because they haven't experienced this themselves? I completely understand where you're coming from though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)
    My hair for example is the first thing that I just cannot talk about to my white friends, I do love them but they just don't understand lol. It's annoying that some people in this thread are taking this to mean something that's discriminatory, maybe that's because they haven't experienced this themselves? I completely understand where you're coming from though.
    You are spot on there. My hair is something they don't understand too and yes it's hard to explain to others how I feel about the whole situation unless they've experienced it themselves. I love my school and friends but there's a slight disconnect I can feel at times.

ReputationRep:
    Do you live in a white area?

It's harder for us oriental/east/southeast asians. I was the only Vietnamese girl in my whole year and the rest of the oriental asians were Chinese so people just assumed I was Chinese.

I can relate. But at least you've got friends.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I get what OP is saying, although you don't HAVE to get more 'diversity' within your friendship group, especially not just for the sake of it.

Growing up, my friends have almost all been white but yeah, I can get some special banter going with guys of my own ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    Tbh, I get what OP is saying, although you don't HAVE to get more 'diversity' within your friendship group, especially not just for the sake of it.

Growing up, my friends have almost all been white but yeah, I can get some special banter going with guys of my own ethnicity.
    You're right I don't HAVE to, but I want to and even if it's not diverse. It's not a big issue. Like you said special banter is something I rarely get to have 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are spot on there. My hair is something they don't understand too and yes it's hard to explain to others how I feel about the whole situation unless they've experienced it themselves. I love my school and friends but there's a slight disconnect I can feel at times.
    Me as a black girl:

"So what does your hair really look like"
    "Like... a black person's hair"
    "What does a black person's hair look like?"
    "Are you sh**tting me?"

I've met one non black person my whole life, who understands hair. One. *sigh*

If you have black friends outside of school/uni that's enough. Not everyone has to understand you 100% , as long as they are willing to learn

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my 3rd year at uni and I'm the only black person on my course. My uni is also predominately white and also in a predominately white area. Growing up during school I had a ton of black friends as I'm from London. So when I started uni it was kinda hard to deal with at first (I still had white friends from school) but to find myself in a position where a majority of my new friends were now white was interesting. I've got no problem with it, I have a handful of black friends which is great because we can relate to each other. I can talk to them about hair issues, we can talk about our culture and experiences etc. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to have friends that are the same race as you especially when you're a minority in an area, but at the same time don't focus on it so much. You'll make great friends regardless of who they are, but I understand the want to have friends that you can relate to

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only Sikh girl on my course at university, with roughly 6 other girls. There's about 30 men on my course, since I do a male dominated course.

Honestly, it's the 21st century and doesn't matter what colour skin you are. My friends are white at university and different heiritage, should I not be friends with them because in brown?

Do you realise how stupid this sounds?

ReputationRep:
    I get you tho, you crack the same type of jokes and experiences will most likely different. That's how the white kids at my college felt, there was only like 20 out of 600

Don't know why people telling him to grow up, that cheeky nandos banter aint for everyone lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not saying it's a bad thing but I'm one of 2 black males in my year and I was wondering if anyone is in the same position as me. I have lots of friends who are white but I NEED more black friends for more diversity - if feel like my friends know me well but we can't fully understand all our issues. What are your thoughts on this? (black or non-black opinions welcome)
    Yh was my life for 13 yrs of secondary education, don't see why it's an issue?

IMO, you don't need black friends you just need friends you connect with on a more meaningful level. People who say they need others to look like them generally aren't the best at forging their own close friendships but rather rely on the easiest crutch of 'we have common issues, ooh we share a culture etc etc etc'. The best thing to learn in life is empathy, and I believe that having a tight friendship with people who are different to you helps build that empathy function.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    I'm the only Sikh girl on my course at university, with roughly 6 other girls. There's about 30 men on my course, since I do a male dominated course.

Honestly, it's the 21st century and doesn't matter what colour skin you are. My friends are white at university and different heiritage, should I not be friends with them because in brown?

Tell me where I said I shouldn't be friends with people because they aren't black.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell me where I said I shouldn't be friends with people because they aren't black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This whole thread is unnecessary in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)
    I grew up in London so I basically have the direct opposite experience. However, there was a short time where I lived in a primarily white area, everyone treated me fine and I had no problems etc but I think it is good to have friends from the same culture as you. Imo there's certain things you can talk about only with people from a similar background, and I definitely missed that when I was out of London. However, you can't really change your situation unless you move away, so just do the best you can, you seem to be fairly happy with your friends overall and that's the main thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same, agree

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why everyone's getting their panties in a bunch, if he wants black friends then that's perfectly fine.

Is he gonna speak to his white friends about his hair and his trim? No, because their hair is different to his.

Is he gonna speak to his white friends about going out or the work in class.
    Yes, because they can go out together and are in the same class.

No one would bat an eye if he said "I'm the only boy of a girls school, where can I find boys to hang out with." Sometime you want to speak to people similar to you because you know they relate. It's no disrespect to white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    yeah man, and your thread about dabbing xD
    we're all whitewashed these days :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone having an issue with what OP said? There is nothing wrong with wanting more friends of your own race.

Anyway, you can make friends out of school by joining a club- such as sports, any religious groups if you are part of one, maybe at parties, ceremonies or make friends of friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)

You've got to be joking right? Skin tone doesn't matter?

Omg I hate this bogus idea that this world is so perfect and accepting and no one cares about your superficial apparence when in fact, your skin tone does matter because it is the first thing you notice about someone. If skin tone didn't matter then people wouldn't be racist and we wouldn't be able to identify what race someone is more time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I’m White. NONE of my close friends are white. Arab, Hispanic, Mixed, and Indian. I don’t give a ****, you shouldn’t either. Make friends regardless of race and grow up. And I don’t think it would be “nicer” for others to share my culture because I enjoy and love the fact that culture is irrelevant, because we all share our culture. For example, I first tried Syrian food at my friends house. My friend first tried a roast dinner at my house. Enjoy the fact that you have this sort of cultural difference. In Camphill Boys in Birmingham, there are two white people in year 9 and they don’t give a ****. Neither should you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by loveleest)
    You've got to be joking right? Skin tone doesn't matter?

Omg I hate this bogus idea that this world is so perfect and accepting and no one cares about your superficial apparence when in fact, your skin tone does matter because it is the first thing you notice about someone. If skin tone didn't matter then people wouldn't be racist and we wouldn't be able to identify what race someone is more time.
    The moment you start saying it matters is when it starts to matter. If you stop describing people by their skin tone unless it’s necessary, and I do to, then in the future it won’t matter at all. The only reason people are racist is because they see this difference and distinction between themselves and others, and everyone else sees it too. So how about we all stop pretending this **** matters, because it doesn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    The moment you start saying it matters is when it starts to matter. If you stop describing people by their skin tone unless it’s necessary, and I do to, then in the future it won’t matter at all. The only reason people are racist is because they see this difference and distinction between themselves and others, and everyone else sees it too. So how about we all stop pretending this **** matters, because it doesn't
    No. Why don't you get out of this stupid mindset that it doesn't matter when in fact it does! Skin tone is one of the first things you see when you look at someone. And yes, people are racist because skin tone is seen, some people unfortunately think it makes them superior to others.
    I am not saying it should matter. Of course it shouldn't matter. What I am trying to say is that stop pretending that people's superficial appearance is non existant when it's there...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.