Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Aaaaaargh this is hard lol
    How come you have this choice anyway? Schools normally only offer one, are you intending to self-study?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I honestly haven't got a clue. I did the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths and didn't think it was too demanding but I don't know about other qualifications.
    I did it as well :five:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    did a bit sheiBe tho :mmm:2 of my friends got A**s and were absolutely livid that the school didn't recognise it lol :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    I did it as well :five:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    did a bit sheiBe tho :mmm:2 of my friends got A**s and were absolutely livid that the school didn't recognise it lol :rofl:
    When I got my Arkwright scholarship there was a big awards ceremony where (for some incredibly pretentious reason) they decided to put everyone's GCSE grades (lmao) up on the projector screen as they collected their scholarship and Arkwright, in their infinite wisdom, assumed that my A^ was actually an A so they had my grades as 11A*1A...

ReputationRep:
    How come you have this choice anyway? Schools normally only offer one, are you intending to self-study?
    Yah I'm self studying it at home. Well done for ur amazing 12A* wth
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yah I'm self studying it at home. Well done for ur amazing 12A* wth
    If you're self-studying it then I'd question whether it's actually worth it. Not that I'm saying the qualification is useless but I personally think your time would be better spent looking through AS Maths material than doing an additional GCSE qualification.

ReputationRep:
    If you're self-studying it then I'd question whether it's actually worth it. Not that I'm saying the qualification is useless but I personally think your time would be better spent looking through AS Maths material than doing an additional GCSE qualification.
    I've done Alevel maths. Just doing it for fun as I'm also doing Additional further maths but still want an actual qualification out of it.
    Are u doing AS?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've done Alevel maths. Just doing it for fun as I'm also doing Additional further maths but still want an actual qualification out of it.
    Are u doing AS?
    What, you've already done A Level Maths? In that case I'd have thought that doing this qualification is completely pointless, you'll just find it really easy... and no I'm at University, I did A Level Maths and Further Maths.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When I got my Arkwright scholarship there was a big awards ceremony where (for some incredibly pretentious reason) they decided to put everyone's GCSE grades (lmao) up on the projector screen as they collected their scholarship and Arkwright, in their infinite wisdom, assumed that my A^ was actually an A so they had my grades as 11A*1A...
    looooooooooooooooooooooooool :toofunny:did u be like "m8, u got that wrong"
    tbh they had 1 job :rofl::toofunny:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I acc got an a in FM so lol

ReputationRep:
    Would u say Edexcel igcse is better then?
    Edexcel don't do an IGCSE in Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I've done Alevel maths.
    Taking Level 2 Cert in Further Maths if you have already done A level Maths would be utterly pointless and just look weird. Don't waste your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Taking Level 2 Cert in Further Maths if you have already done A level Maths would be utterly pointless and just look weird. Don't waste your time.
    well it's an extra qualification so it'd be alright to have that extra gcse why not.
    Also it's not like it's gonna take my time up if i already know it, it's just a matter of sitting the exam.

ReputationRep:
    What, you've already done A Level Maths? In that case I'd have thought that doing this qualification is completely pointless, you'll just find it really easy... and no I'm at University, I did A Level Maths and Further Maths.
    True but it's an extra gcse so that's why i wanted it. It's just a matter of taking the exam really because i don't need to prepare much do i.
    Which university do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    True but it's an extra gcse so that's why i wanted it. It's just a matter of taking the exam really because i don't need to prepare much do i.
    There is no point in a GCSE when you've already taken an A level in the same subject.
    I graduated long ago.

ReputationRep:
    There is no point in a GCSE when you've already taken an A level in the same subject.
    I graduated long ago.
    I was asking the other guy lol.
    It would be no inconvenience what so ever. Just sit the exam and get a qualification. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    I was asking the other guy lol.
    It would be no inconvenience what so ever. Just sit the exam and get a qualification. That's it.
    There may be no inconvenience but it's £50-£150 down the drain to no purpose. You might as well re-sit KS2 Maths as well.

ReputationRep:
    I did the AQA Level 2 Further Maths and on my gcse certificate it says 'GCSE;Further Maths'
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oxford but I echo what the others say - I genuinely do not think there is any point in getting the qualification because if you've got an A Level in Maths, nobody will care about a GCSE in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    There may be no inconvenience but it's £50-£150 down the drain to no purpose. You might as well re-sit KS2 Maths as well.
    Oxford but I echo what the others say - I genuinely do not think there is any point in getting the qualification because if you've got an A Level in Maths, nobody will care about a GCSE in Maths.
    It could put me above other candidates as i'd have more better grades could it not? in university application.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It could put me above other candidates as i'd have more better grades could it not? in university application.
    I doubt that it will make any significant difference, universities are not mindless machines that accept people on the basis of how many qualifications they have. The most important grades by far are your A Levels - your GCSEs are of much lesser importance. It's useful to have a generally good set of GCSE results but one extra A* isn't going to change anything. Also bear in mind that universities will see when you took specific exams and when they see that you've taken a GCSE Further Maths exam after your A Levels, it's going to be fairly obvious why.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that it will make any significant difference, universities are not mindless machines that accept people on the basis of how many qualifications they have. The most important grades by far are your A Levels - your GCSEs are of much lesser importance. It's useful to have a generally good set of GCSE results but one extra A* isn't going to change anything. Also bear in mind that universities will see when you took specific exams and when they see that you've taken a GCSE Further Maths exam after your A Levels, it's going to be fairly obvious why.
    oh yeah lol. i mean the universities who require so many A* grades then i'll be able to meet that. I mean tbh it won't make much of a difference but i guess it's for gratification.
    If it's cheap then i think i'll just do it but considering what you are saying i don't think i'll waste my money on gratification.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.