Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If God exists, then who created HIM? HE DOESN'T EXIST! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    mein Gott
    Ja ja

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    what if God controlled the path evolution took?
    God cannot be created or destroyed, just like energy can't be created or destroyed
    cause and effect is a thing of the material world, as is time, and God isn't within it, the same laws don't apply to Him
    WOW I never thought I'd have an epiphany through TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    While we can't disprove or prove the existence of a god, we can do the next best thing and disprove certain religions. All religions that state that their gods are omnipotent are demonstrably false. That includes Islam, Christianity, Judaism and a whole bunch of others. The reason is simple: if god is omnipotent then he/she should be able to create a boulder so heavy that even they can't lift it. If they can't, they're not omnipotent. But if they do manage to create the boulder then they're not powerful enough to lift it, so they're not omnipotent.

That simple paradox is enough to disprove most religious ideas about god(s). Sorry religious people, you're going to need to rethink things a bit.
    The paradox becomes meaningless upon use of the phrase "they can't lift".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    He's got the whole world, in his hands, he's got the whole world in his hands
    what a tune

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ouatislifex)
    what a tune
    It's a great throwback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    WOW I never thought I'd have an epiphany through TSR.
    o... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    The paradox becomes meaningless upon use of the phrase "they can't lift".
    Please explain how, I'm not getting it.

ReputationRep:
    No one. That can easily be proven logically from the fact that if there wasn't a First Cause there would be an INFINITE REGRESS and nothing at all would come to existence. Just imagine the example of a Sniper, he's waiting to shoot his target but first he must ask someone above him in rank for permission, and when he asks they say the same thing - they need to ask someone else, if this continuous forever the Sniper will never get to shoot. But as you can see, our world is here, it began to exist, the chain ended somewhere.

The reason why you think that this is a good question is because everything around you has been created by God, and so you assume that He must have also began to exist because everything else has.

ReputationRep:
    This question is inherently flawed, asking about who created the creator of time space and matter.

God created time,space and matter at the exact time forming a continuum, so to ask who created God is inherently flawed because God exists outside of time space and matter, God isn't affected by all earthly variables, his creations are.

Asking for God's creators would also create an infinite amount of questions like who created the creators of God, and who created the creators of the creators of God, and so on.

So God creating time (meaning he is the beginning) answers this question.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Please explain how, I'm not getting it.
    The preferred Christian response is probably something like:

'the paradox assumes a wrong definition of omnipotence. Omnipotence, they say, does not mean that God can do anything at all but, rather, that he can do anything that's possible according to his nature. The distinction is important. God cannot perform logical absurdities; he cannot, for instance, make 1+1=3. Likewise, God cannot make a being greater than himself because he is, by definition, the greatest possible being. God is limited in his actions to his nature. The Bible supports this, they assert, in passages such as Hebrews 6:18, which says it is "impossible for God to lie."'

Just check out wikipedia for more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipo...oposed_answers

ReputationRep:
    A nice counter to your point... Everything in this world is contingent, i.e dependent on one thing or the other. So for example humans and plants are dependent on food to stay alive. This means that at one point nothing existed if everything is contingent. Thus, begs the question how can something (contingent beings) come from nothing? This is a logical impossibility. Therefore, we can conclude that something non-contingent (not dependent on anything) caused us to exist. Apparently, this is God.

Btw I'm a atheist but I enjoy reading such arguments to prove God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vividly clear)
    This question is inherently flawed, asking about who created the creator of time space and matter.

God created time,space and matter at the exact time forming a continuum, so to ask who created God is inherently flawed because God exists outside of time space and matter, God isn't affected by all earthly variables, his creations are.

Asking for God's creators would also create an infinite amount of questions like who created the creators of God, and who created the creators of the creators of God, so God creating time meaning he is the beginning answers this question.

Thank you
    Wow this is an amazing explanation. :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Wow this is an amazing explanation. :eek4:
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    This is just one answer to the paradox (and arguably not the Christian's preferred), but it's essentially saying that, since God is omnipotent it is simply a contradiction to state something which could not be done by God (like talking about a married bachelor). The phrase, and paradox, are therefore meaningless.

The preferred Christian response is probably something like:

'the paradox assumes a wrong definition of omnipotence. Omnipotence, they say, does not mean that God can do anything at all but, rather, that he can do anything that's possible according to his nature. The distinction is important. God cannot perform logical absurdities; he cannot, for instance, make 1+1=3. Likewise, God cannot make a being greater than himself because he is, by definition, the greatest possible being. God is limited in his actions to his nature. The Bible supports this, they assert, in passages such as Hebrews 6:18, which says it is "impossible for God to lie."'

Just check out wikipedia for more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipo...oposed_answers
    This is just moving the goalposts. The Cambridge dictionary defines omnipotence as the ability to do anything due to having unlimited power. Thus, the paradox still stands.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I'm really impressed by the high level responses. I feel like I should take a class in philosophy or theology. Sorry OP I still believe in God.

ReputationRep:
    While we can't disprove or prove the existence of a god, we can do the next best thing and disprove certain religions. All religions that state that their gods are omnipotent are demonstrably false. That includes Islam, Christianity, Judaism and a whole bunch of others. The reason is simple: if god is omnipotent then he/she should be able to create a boulder so heavy that even they can't lift it. If they can't, they're not omnipotent. But if they do manage to create the boulder then they're not powerful enough to lift it, so they're not omnipotent.

That simple paradox is enough to disprove most religious ideas about god(s). Sorry religious people, you're going to need to rethink things a bit.
    Theologians solved this so-called paradox centuries ago. Do keep up.

What's next? Can God create a married bachelor? Can God create a 4-sided triangle? Can God *insert gibberish here*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    There's evidence for evolution, but there's no evidence for God.
    Are you assuming God's gender??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Theologians solved this so-called paradox centuries ago. Do keep up.

What's next? Can God create a married bachelor? Can God create a 4-sided triangle? Can God *insert gibberish here*?
    Exactly. God isn't omnipotent as he/she can't overturn the laws of logic.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. God isn't omnipotent as he/she can't overturn the laws of logic.
    No one said He/She can. Literally, not a single sophisticated theologian believes in such a God. You're attacking a strawman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakuraton)
    Are you assuming God's gender??
    Haha, I'm joking. I think God = Matter which means God is us and every matter around us just because we existed (If that make sense) So yeah, urm just a different perspective here. Matter that just happened to exist which I think, is a miracle itself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.