Turn on thread page Beta

who is everyone going to open their student bank account with? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    are you already at uni then? i thought you needed an unconditional offer to apply for the account (ie when results come out) :confused:
    i have an inconditional offer
    going to uni in sept!!

ReputationRep:
    cool i didnt realise you're allowed more than one (multiple overdrafts :confused: )
    you're not...
    when you sign the form to open an account you are signing to say it is your only student account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i have an inconditional offer
    going to uni in sept!!
    congrats have you been on a gap year or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gnostic)
    I'm going to open mine with HSBC, Abbey, and NatWest next month.
    Not Coutts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I just know my overdraft came up on my credit check

However if you're not using your overdraft then it's not credit so so long as you're quickish it's probably possible to get away with it.
    so you could just sign up to get all the freebies, as long as you only have the overdraft at one place?

ReputationRep:
    My dad told me to keep my account with Nationwide and not open up an account with a bank....something about the ethics of what banks use their money for and how Nationwide is a building society.... :confused: I didn't really understand but meh, I've got no reason not to follow his advice, I'm not going to be lured away by promises of freebies....she says....

ReputationRep:
    I was going to open an account with HSBC but I want to keep my current account with Natiowide as it also acts as my e-savings account which has good interest and I want to keep it separate from my loan. Dunno if I can be bothered though as my loan is going into the Nationwide account, and my accommodation is coming out of it.... So I would just be transferring the money over for the sake of it. But then again I want the railcard. Hmmm.

ReputationRep:

However Nationwide don't do a Student account (or at least didn't last time I spoke to my mum) or at least not one with an interest free overdraft...
    No they don't do a student account, so I would just be using my Flexaccount, and I'm not allowed to get an overdraft My dad says I should keep my credit rating as clean as possible....hmmm, maybe he has an evil plan as he is so keen to control my finances!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-pink-stars)
    No they don't do a student account, so I would just be using my Flexaccount, and I'm not allowed to get an overdraft My dad says I should keep my credit rating as clean as possible....hmmm, maybe he has an evil plan as he is so keen to control my finances!
    how are you planning to pay for university without the overdraft :eek:
    the student loan simply isnt enough

ReputationRep:
    Banks make money out of your money to pay to shareholders. They make more money by investing your money in shares of other companies (often total scumbag companies - arms dealers and the like).
    This is why I am going to change my account to the co-op bank, because they have a ethical policy of not investing in arms dealers etc.

ReputationRep:
    how are you planning to pay for university without the overdraft :eek:
    the student loan simply isnt enough
    Not sure y'know! Haven't really got down to detailed budgeting, I know my parents are paying the fees, and the accommodation costs, and as it's catered the food costs are included in the accommodation costs, so I'm hoping the student loan will be enough for anything else I might need......do you think that it won't??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    congrats have you been on a gap year or something?
    yep!
    two actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-pink-stars)
    Not sure y'know! Haven't really got down to detailed budgeting, I know my parents are paying the fees, and the accommodation costs, and as it's catered the food costs are included in the accommodation costs, so I'm hoping the student loan will be enough for anything else I might need......do you think that it won't??? :confused:
    oh right - what generous parents
    you may be ok then

Royal Bank of Scotland

Reason: There is a branch located directly between my building and the local designer outlet.

ReputationRep:
    oh right - what generous parents
    you may be ok then
    Teehe thanks! I right panicked then
    Maybe you knew about hidden costs that I am not yet aware of!

I opened my first account with natwest for similar reasons....it was a bad idea (they were local but awful)...
    The account doesn't actual look that bad, plus the overdraft gets quite big when you move into your 5th year (being in Scotland and all). I've considered HSBC but when reading through their brochure I found about 300 of the little * things which eluded to some the most confusing crap I have ever read in my entire life. They seem to have more stipulations than actual features on thier accout!!! :rolleyes:

(plus I've got to ******** an extra £10k out of them to pay for solar panels:cool: )
    WOW...we really are into the whole eco-friendly home thing!!! Do they actually work well?!? :confused:

And then it's time to start saving towards a turbine :cool:
    I'd imagine that you will have as instantly recognisable house!!!

ReputationRep:
    is everyone going with natwest just because of the UCAS thing advertising them through the post?

also anyone with a credit card, please explain to me how it works, sounds dumb but ive never had one and am scared i get conned

(Original post by magiccarpet)
    also anyone with a credit card, please explain to me how it works, sounds dumb but ive never had one and am scared i get conned
    *Has idea for official thread (after results of course)*

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.