Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why do so many women have to wear skirts, dresses and heels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't wear men's trousers I wear women's trousers, I don't think I dress like a man. If I wore men's clothing I could understand your point. Men wear some kind of skirt these days that thing that Justin bieber wears, I wouldn't go on at him if he wore a skirt.
    Don't follow Justin Beiber, I am straight and male remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IronicalMan)
    Not being funny but if your boyfriends went out in dresses, would you be less attracted to them and tell them not to dress in dresses as you don't find it sexy. MUH TELL ME HOW TO DRESS ATTRACTIVELY TO HIM, MURURUURURURUR feminism.
    Would you not say anything if he went everywhere dressed naked or in a spedo, or a dress lmao.
    If when they met and throughout their relationship a skirt, dress and Speedos was his standard outfit, and he had expressed why this was his preference, she would be wrong to start heavily implying that his everyday appearance should change.

ReputationRep:
    I shop in the men's section. :ninja: If it makes you feel any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend often brings up the fact that I choose to wear pants and flats over skirts/dresses and heels. I've never wore heels as I like to be able to walk in something comfortable and I just don't feel like me in skirts/dresses. I think I feel and look feminine enough in leggings and a long top. He says that I think like a 'dyke' (however you spell it) but it's nothing to do with me what others wear, I just wear what I think looks nice and what I feel comfy in. I try to look a little feminine but when we go out just during the evening etc he often mentions how I think and dress differently to most women. So it has started to annoy me how so many women wear the same skirts and heels. It's like it's not my fault that the skirt was invented it's just a piece of material.
    First, I don't think it's great that your boyfriend criticises you like this. It's your dress style and that's part of you. Is he a bit controlling in other ways?

Second, I think there's a big difference between skirts and heels. It has been shown that heels do a lot of damage to your feet. Whoever invented them hated women, IMO. Skirts and dresses on the other hand are better for your health than trousers. There are conditions such as thrush and something beginning with 'v' that causes an intense burning pain in your privates that come from wearing trousers or even thick tights too often. No way will wearing skirts and dresses do you any harm at all, unlike heels.

So while I don't think your boyfriend should be going on about it, could you compromise by wearing more skirts but holding off on the heels?

(Original post by Mark19)
    First, I don't think it's great that your boyfriend criticises you like this. It's your dress style and that's part of you. Is he a bit controlling in other ways?

Second, I think there's a big difference between skirts and heels. It has been shown that heels do a lot of damage to your feet. Whoever invented them hated women, IMO. Skirts and dresses on the other hand are better for your health than trousers. There are conditions such as thrush and something beginning with 'v' that causes an intense burning pain in your privates that come from wearing trousers or even thick tights too often. No way will wearing skirts and dresses do you any harm at all, unlike heels.

So while I don't think your boyfriend should be going on about it, could you compromise by wearing more skirts but holding off on the heels?
    I do wear shorts in summer (i dont wear skirts) but when i do he goes on about how pale my legs are anyway lol. I just like practical clothes that i can run to catch the bus in or climb a fence/wall or whatever should I want to. I dont know about thrush and all that but ive never had problems so far. I run/do strength training 6 times a week in running tights too never had thrush, although i do get an itchy arse sometimes!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.